what are you watching today?

red

This only got released here last week. Brilliant film. Thematically, it reminds me a lot of "Pi", only better and more intense.

Anyone got recommendations for films dealing primarily with paranoia/obsession/madness? Rep awaits.

edit: I've already seen most (ie, very nearly all) Polanski stuff. His early shit is awesome.

blackswanposter.jpg

i finally saw this. i have some mixed feelings;partly because I am really confused what i should get out of this movie.

i think i liked princess monoke better.

Miyazaki tends to return to certain themes in his work - the transition from childhood to maturity being one of them. He previously explored this theme in movies such as Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. As in those movies, the main (female) character is forced to learn self-reliance due to extenuating circumstances (illness of mother / leaving home to begin training / parents turned into pigs). I think his grasp of children gives these movies an emotional core that can sometimes be lacking in his other work (Howl's Moving Castle comes to mind).