Real McCoy's / Joe McCoy's Jeans

jubei

I was wondering whether anyone could provide some info on the measurements of McCoy's jeans, versus say Samurai. McCoy's seem to run very big comparatively - or at least that's what BiG's measurements seem to suggest - so if I wear a size 32 in Samurai 710XX would I go for a 30 in 991XH, for example? Also, is there any consensus on how much the sanforized denim shrinks in the waist when first washed?

My experience, and that of many others, has been very positive when shopping in Japan with these companies. Not too hard to comprehend, eh?

If you don't like these companies' products or their business practices, you are also free not to support them.

I am sorry but based on what do you qualify your experience as something of any relevance? And how do you quantify yours or most of the other posters here  compared to the regular customer here in relation to the overall customer base of those brands and shoppers in the stores?   Someone had posted their regret that the Nagoya webstore would cease or has ceased delivering abroad and I just said - it is not the only issue dealing with RMC or those companies online. I have listed several issues of relevance to the customer based even here in Japan . Anyone who has bought online something in Japan - let's Pure Blue Japan or UES or etc if you would want to keep it strictly to denim - knows that it could be done and what could be expected. To keep it strictly to RMC - do you find it normal to have all products available at any time; and then to have to shoot a message to verify what is in stock and what is not; and then to have to decide on which one would be befitting you best, since there are some differences between the online specs and those in reality from time to time; and then to have pay an invoice and wait and so on. It is not 1994 anymore. 

Finally, who do you think you are to tell me what to do or not do? I have missed the memo of you being anointed  my personal shopper adviser. 

My Japanese is not fluent, but from what I've experienced, it was miles above my expectations. I'm not sure if you've ever dealt with NYC salespeople-knuckleheads, but it can't even compare. 

Lastly, American retailers should charge Yen prices because operation costs in the US is based in the Yen and not dollars? So retailers should run their businesses, based on how the Japanese economy is doing and not how the US is doing? These are not rhetorical questions I am asking, just questioning your reasoning.

I made a mistake with the price of the boots. I remembered the field boots, as in the pic in the article, as opposed to the ones being discussed in the NY piece.  That's what led me to exaggerate the price differentials. Some more eloquent contribution has been made on behalf of the argument why the goods in UK/US store are slightly overpriced. I have just said that while many Japan based customers paid for far too long higher sums for just being Japanese customers, currently many brands have established global prices and charge their customers almost equally, subject to some domestic taxes and what have you. And you can see, here in Tokyo, how the prices could fluctuate with the currency exchange rates movements. 

BTW, I would comment on NYC salespersons when I have to deal with them - they are of no relevance to the issue of salespersons in Tokyo's store of RMC. 

I would repeat myself - great products, great vision behind the brand, however not very professional customer service - in-store and online. That's my opinion. I do not see what makes it bitter. To quote the great Lebowski - yeah, well, it is just like (my) opinion, man.  

It's not that I disagree with the points raised.

It's just that they have been stated more than once and in some detail.

They are valid points - I agree the pricing is high and the pricing differencece between region are bordering on ridiculous. The service in terms of web content through to store personnel varies can also be a minefield to navigate.

But I feel this McCoys thread has taken a turn toward solely discussing the merits and pitfalls of international marketing and cost differentials.

I'm all in favour of a 'Japanese retailers discussion thread' but I would also like to get back to discussing the merits (or not) of the McCoys products themselves.

It has always been somewhat of a given that McCoys items are expensive. This sadly is just something we have to come to terms with - if we choose to buy. I'd like the pricing to become Yen weighted but this is not the intent of the free market.

I am today wearing my Zelinski flight Jacket and really enjoying it.

I did however buy it in Japan during the summer for around £330. It retails in the UK £450. Make of that what you will ;)

I am a fan of the brand, and love reading the discussions around the actual products.  That said, in our (denim fans) corner of the world, I think it's HUGE news when a brand systematically cuts off international shipping.  Regardless of their reasons, it's a pretty big deal.

I feel a few good points have been raised:

- The internet is serious business since it has opened venues of shopping that was once hidden or inaccessible.

- Globalization of a business is difficult due to exchange rates and values of currency rising and falling. Makes sense that car companies like Honda or Mercedes, produce domestically in the countries they are selling in to make it more feasible to be affordable. Or be a big enough company that you can control your pricing globally.

- The Real McCoy's is not a multi-billion dollar company like RL to able to handle the overall operating expense of a global brand.

- The Real McCoy's is expensive in comparison to other similar-tiered Japanese repo brands, but not in comparison to luxury brands.

- The Real McCoy's customer service can be improved as well as creating a solution for global pricing differences. (Companies like Alden's as well) 

- Blanket statements of a positive or negative nature proves nothing and gets nowhere.

I am a shopper that will pay for something at a store if I've received good service or wanted to support the store, even if I can find it cheaper somewhere else. I have paid extra for RMC products domestically, and I have also bought RMC while I was visiting Japan. I don't really think about it, because, to me if I can't afford something, I just don't buy it.

At the same time, if I receive crap service from a store, I will walk out with out purchasing anything and not even think about it.

Anyway, I got this hat recently. I think its made from extra leather scraps from the jackets.

cassquette1.jpg

With a happy ending? I'm booking flights now

yeah 3 of us can share on a cubicle or a fitting room i should say

I think I can accommodate you guys. :D

I was wondering whether anyone could provide some info on the measurements of McCoy's jeans, versus say Samurai. McCoy's seem to run very big comparatively - or at least that's what BiG's measurements seem to suggest - so if I wear a size 32 in Samurai 710XX would I go for a 30 in 991XH, for example? Also, is there any consensus on how much the sanforized denim shrinks in the waist when first washed?

McCoy's run larger because of shrinking. It's not a hard rule, but I normally suggest to size down 1 size for the 991XH, depending on if you like it tighter. Some people size down 2, if they can squeeze into it. Shrinking occurs between 3% to 7%  depending on how you wash the jeans. The waist could go down 2.5" but not always. This is with a hot wash and dry. All Joe McCoy (991, 991XH, 991BK, 905S, 904S, 900S) denim is unsanforized, and most Real McCoy's (001, 002, 003, 004) denim is sanforized, but they still shrink a bit)

What? Guy makes a reasonable observation.

It's refreshing to read a bit of reasonable criticism for a change rather than the usual doting and predictable accolades.

true but portions could be stated with less attitude.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Does anyone know if there any RMC authorized dealers in outside of Japan sell this Alpaca vest in navy colour? It looks like a special edition.

It was made for certain retailers, so you have to contact the original store owners. RMC makes custom items for retailers if the buy is big enough. This was a 2011~2012 model. I'm waiting to see if they put it back into production.

Hi everyone

I decide to let the below items go due to size problem

1) The Real McCoy sweater (MC12104) in size M, 99% new 130 USD

62591464_o3.jpg?20141014164335

2) The Real McCoy C-2 vest in size 42, 99% new. 300 USD 

3) The Real McCoy 37j1b in size 42, 99% new. 500 USD

Please feel free to PM me for more details or pictures.

Thank you for watching