FOUND from Cone Denim

pacioli

aa.jpg

"Found" is a book from Cone that documents a collection of farm-worn vintage denim (some dating back to the 30s) discovered in a shack in North Carolina. It is a nicely put together book that I turn to from time to time for inspiration.

When I heard here http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=17303&highlight=susan+cone) this hard-to-get book was given out for free at their collabo exhibition with Susan Cianciolo I had to check if it were true (it was). I hope you've had a chance to stop by before it ended last week.

But if you didn't and want this amazing book the kind people at Cone are willing to send it out to serious denimheads free of charge. I didn't want to waste their time with a barrage of requests so I've agreed to coordinate.

Some teaser shots are below. If you don't currently own this and are genuinely interested in adding it to your collection then pm me your info to be put on the distribution list.

First come first served. One per person please. Don't request a copy if you are not a denim enthusiast or at least researching about denim/history. Sorry for the rules guys but there's a limited supply and beautiful books don't make good firewood.

ac.jpg

ab.jpg

ae.jpg

ad.jpg

af.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More info from Cone:

"Timeless treasured denim ... The story of the "Found" collection goes like this: About five years ago, while searching for ginseng root in a rural area not far from Greensboro, a man discovered a two-room shack where sharecroppers had once lived. Inside the 1900s-era frame house that was littered with magazines and other papers, he saw a pile of well-worn denim garments that had fallen through a sagging ceiling from the attic above.

His first thought was to have his sister sew the vintage denim into purses he could sell at flea markets and boutiques. But having spent some of his childhood living with his Grandmother in the Cone Mills Proximity mill village, he had another thought and contacted Cone Denim.

The collection included 40 pieces in all, ranging from men's and women's patched overalls and sun-bleached chambray shirts to homemade "waist highs" and an antique quilt backed with denim. Of particular interest are several garments which still had labels that read "Made of CONE deeptone® DENIM".

Introduced in 1936, CONE deeptone® DENIM, was produced from a new method developed by Cone, it's primary attribute a rich, deep shade not previously seen in a denim. This new brand was advertised directly to consumers in magazines like Progressive Farmer and Country Gentleman, each with the tagline, "Improves your overall appearance."

Displayed in Cone Denim's archive & design studio, the Found collection inspires and furthers our love of "vintage". Authentic, genuine, a testimony of the hard work and perseverance that helped shape and form the American culture."

Found is photographed by Christopher Glancy, directed and designed by Tony Arcabascio/ALIFECREATIVE.

Definitely lots of interesting details in the book. For example the shirt with the X marking on the back shows you what prolonged exposure to the sun can do to chambray. The common school of thought is that abraision causes fade/wear marks.

While that's true look at the pic of the shirt and you'll see the sun basically bleached the fabric while the part where the bib/suspenders touch the fabric are still quite dark (despite what must be a lot of abrasion during labor). Anyone have thoughts on this?

FYI Ito all saved a spot for Miz who's traveling I think. Everyone who's pm'd me so far should be safe.

This really looks wonderful. I've also PM'd you with my humble request. I also think it's utterly cool that you've saved one for Miz. That man deserves a copy!

HUGE Thanks!!!!

On the big X marks, I'd say it is a clear combo of sweat AND sun. These are the clearly known enemies of textiles. The curious tradeoff is that sweat would also soak through the overall straps and absorb color from them into the shirt. SO, it's a combo, again, in this case protecting from the sun while drawing dye. Cool, huh?

Looks like the cutoff will be at about 40 books. Will tally up the numbers tonight and update everyone. A quick eye scan of my pmz shows everyone who's msg'd me so far are in. Just a few more copies unaccounted for.

I know you'll all enjoy it. I'll tell you where to send the christmas cards ;)

Edit, re timetable: once I finalize the list I'll fwd to Cone's shipping dept. for processing. If they're using media mail it may take 2+ weeks.

Whoa - that book looks amazing. I;d love to own a copy but I'm in London :( What are my chances?? I'll send you a PM and cross my fingers - goes without saying but Im would of course pay p&p. Even if the answer is no it's super cool of you to do this for the other members and thanks for the taster via this thread ;)

maybe someone that gets a copy could scan it and make a digital version available to those that didnt/couldnt get a copy?

I know I would love to see this, but think a hard copy would be better going to someone more "denimhead" than me, but getting a chance to at least "see" it without taking one of the few available hard copies would be just as cool for me.