superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

Honestly, I don't cook, so I haven't done a kitchen build out. There's an ADA wet bathroom directly behind where I took the photo from. Waterfall shower head w/ hand nozzle, green glass tile. Plus if I feel lazy, I flip the ADA bench out, haha. I think most people are weirded out with the wet bathroom, but it's LA and the room dries out in a matter of minutes.

Edit-

Have none of ya'll ever been in a loft before? Woulda figured sufu to be up on that.

Is it? It's not really a stretch by any means. Lofts are, by historical definition, reclaimed industrial buildings. Guess what? Industrial buildings have loading docks. In fact every space on the first floor of this particular building is set up with a roller door. Because back in the day, each bay was a working loading dock. This is especially the case here in DTLA, where many of the buildings served as warehouse/distribution space for all of the trains that used to spur through the area. Now, the tracks are covered up in asphalt, and the many of the buildings have been turned into live/work spaces or still serve their original industrial uses. They just get served via trucks instead of train cars. Look at SCI_Arc; basically a school in a converted 1/4 mile long loading dock.

Appleseed, I more than dig that space.

I hope one day I can just have a huge space with high ceilings that I can do anything with. And the recording studios in the building are an added plus.

Badass. Lot can be done with that... I can imagine some sweet soiree's and whatnot goin down there

So I can ship/receive jawns more quickly. Obviously.

Not sure how much of the dubious-ness is serious. It's a shit load of footage for a decent price, (not quite 30 bucks, but not awful for Downtown LA) construction is solid, (dead silent, there are a few recording studios in the bldg) I can do whatever the fuck I want with the space, and I have my own private alley replete with friendly neighborhood bums/fiends. I couldn't ask for anything more. Except maybe a pool. I miss having a pool.

I think it's dope. these people have no imagination. Update us with picsas it comes togethor

Windows

Windows.jpg

Ventilation

Carrier.jpg

Padlocked scissor gate on the otherside of the rollup. I'm not lazy enough for a motorized opener, so it's just human power. That's a 2-ton ductless Carrier heat/AC unit. Hooked up to electronic thermostat, I made sure that it worked and then turned it off at the breaker. I figure at most I'll use it 2-3 weeks a year. As far as the flooring, this was one thing I wavered on a bit. Quotes were coming back over $2k to polish and seal it. I sourced stuff to do it myself, but it was going to be a two part application, including a 10-day curing period where I wouldn't be able to be in the space. So I left it open; it's def. quirky, but growing on me.

Re: Vitsoe alternatives (modular shelving), check out:

http://www.containerstore.com/elfa/

http://store.rakks.com/

Home Depot, and any local variant thereof will also have generic shelving systems which, though aren't as pretty, can be had for a song.

Google Wall-mounted shelving. Alternately, one-sided gondola shelving might be interesting too, depending on build quality.

ibi9z9.jpg

2mo8jfs.jpg

sad little apartment. just got a nice table for my stuff... which was previously sitting on the ground. the table itself is really neat though because it's two seperate pieces and the 'right' side rests on top of the other and can be adjusted to be ... very loong or compacted

the rest of the furniture is either cardboard boxes or cheap/free and ugly.

appleseed very sick.

i've seen those loading docks as studios but not a room.

i see it as a minimalist approach to an apartment. ThE SLIDING DOOR is the shit.

if you don't mind me asking how much is rent? and anymore pictures of the rest of the space?