MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty cool show.... Cheapskate. Just kidding, but the show is pretty cool. They don't do too much in the garment picking. I wonder why. they are always on these old farms with old farmers and let me tell you old farmers keep their clothes for ages as long as the are wearable.

Today, I did a little sewing...

As far as I understand, the polar bear liberty cuffs were originally worn by sailors who had crossed the Arctic Circle. I've flown over it, and nearly crossed it on land (Iceland), but I thought it would be an homage to the northern climate where I live.

zissou, I hadn't realized the liberty cuffs had individual meanings. Do you know if there is any special significance to the mermaid cuff?

4415967778_2bed98628a_o.jpg

sorry, I know it's not strictly MF related.

Well, that's the same design that Christophe put in the Liberty Issue P coat and CPO, FWIW (albeit a repro from Sugar Cane that also has 'MFSC' on it). There were a lot of different designs of liberty cuffs, but it seems that they originated in the early 1900's and were probably hand embroidered on silk. Machine production around the '50's made them much more available. I am not sure of the exact significance of the mermaid, but I would bet that they were the Naval equivalent of the 'pinup girl' painted on the side of an aircraft. Liberty cuffs were illegal, so why not go all the way? :) I think many of the liberty cuff designs were basically Naval-inspired cartoons, usually revolving around women. Some did have significance, though, like the Chinese dragon for those who served in China or the Far East around WWI. There's one with a submarine and two dolphins for submariners (I was tempted to use that one as my father spent his career designing subs). There was another with hula dancers, probably for sailors stationed on Hawaii. One of my favorites is the octopus simultaneously groping the breasts of two women (hah!).

cuffs4.jpg

sandpebbleslibertycuffs.jpg

If any of you have not yet watched The Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen, you really should!

Nice cuffs, Zissou. They look great and it's cool that they relate to your life. I was thinking of doing something similar with the cuffs of my type 1 jacket, but with some regular patches that are more related to my life. Anyway, great idea and nice clothes!

hah, that's awesome. They did some of those screens on the tube body thermals. They probably have adult-sized tees in the MF store.

I did. After a long hot soak, it hadn't shrank as much as my washed version in the same size, so I turned it inside out and pretty much dried it completely in the dryer with a few towels. In the end, they were pretty much the exact size.

Thanks, medine. I usually roll sleeves too, but it gets so hot here that sometimes ss shirts are in order.

The difference between the two denims has always been fairly apparent, I think, but it is most apparent in direct light. I haven't washed them yet (just an initial soak, although they were one wash) so any lightening has been from wear. I'm getting some really nice fading all around.

I've been riding for about 7 years now, but never found a suitable jacket that I liked. Until now... (thanks again, kiya!)

I thought I'd feature a few bits of the black Mulholland Master that may not have been shown online.

First up, the two lower front pockets and back pocket are tall, but fold over when closed. Great feature for keeping contents clean/dry. You'll also notice that there is extra stitching to reinforce around the snaps.

mfscmmpocketsm.jpg

The right chest pocket also has a Conmatic zipper- perfect for something, like a phone, that needs a little extra protection.

mfscmmchestsm.jpg

The two snaps on the cuffs are perfectly placed, in my opinion. It's nice to tighten up the cuff while riding to prevent any cold air from sneaking up.

mfscmmcuffsm.jpg

The jungle cloth is ridiculously heavy. The jacket is about as heavy and a challenge to put on as a typical cowhide motorcycle jacket. The color is so rich on the black MM.

mfscmmclothsm.jpg

And, the fit. Overall, it pretty much fits me like a glove, which I'm happy about. I don't want anything too roomy or constricting when I'm riding. I could probably fit some light armor underneath it if I wanted, but 90% of my riding is around town, so I'm not too worried. I'll probably forgo the belt and throat latch if I'm going to wear it casually.

mfscmmfitsm.jpg

It was warm enough (well, 45-50F) to put the jacket through the paces yesterday. I did a short canyon ride nearby, and then took it out on the open road a bit. While my legs froze, my upper body was plenty warm, even at 55mph. The jungle cloth did well...

mfscmmaction2sm.jpg

All in all, the MM is way over-engineered, in a good way. Christophe really knew what he was doing when he designed this jacket. The cut is somewhat slim for a typical motorcycle jacket, but there is room where it counts to allow for plenty of freedom of movement. I'm looking forward to wearing it on some long rides once it warms up a little more.