MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

Hello Superfuture.

While I mostly can be found posting over on styleforum (this is mostly a cross post from there), I thought I'd stop by considering there is more of a MFSC contigent here. I've greatly enjoyed reading through this thread, especially how cotton duck wears and personalizes his MFSC. Well done!

About a month ago, I purchased a Mister Freedom pea coat from Self Edge and have been loving it ever since. When I first got the coat, it fit well, thanks to good sizing advice from Kiya. But, I thought I could get a little more of a custom fit with an inch or so off the chest and sleeve length. So, a short, hot soak was in order.

Soaking the coat proved to be a bit of a fiasco, but in the end it turned out well. I had a hard time mostly because of huge air bubbles trapped between the denim and the wool lining, so I had to place various pots and pans on top of the coat to keep it under water. I wound up hot soaking the coat for only 10 minutes, because sleeve length had shrunk an inch in less time than that. Not to mention, the coat made a sticky indigo mess everywhere. It took me some time and a fair amount of bleach to remove the indigo ring around my old clawfoot tub.

Post-soaking, I hung the pea coat to dry in the shower. Once the dripping stopped, I put the damp coat on and wore it around the house for a bit to stretch it a little and form some creases. Then, I let it hang dry completely. I dried the coat with the collar up so I could rework the rolls in the lapel after the coat was fully dried.

Eagerly awaiting Christmas day

3192968866_5f10b878e8_o.jpg

Close up of denim, post soak. You can see the hairiness of the sugar cane fibers.

3192945006_f95a278491_o.jpg

All in all, I've been amazed with the quality of the materials, construction, fit... everything. In every picture I'd seen of the pea coat, it had the standard fouled-anchor buttons. Prior to receiving the coat, I had thought about calling History Preservation Assoc (Buzz Rickson) to inquire about purchasing ten 13-star pea coat buttons. Much to my surprise, the new Mister Freedom pea coats are made with the same buttons. Yet another nice touch! The only thing that surprised me was that there wasn't a jigger button on the inside of the coat. So, I found a vintage 13-star button and sewed it on myself, right behind the second button from the top on the left.

3192931268_1a277bb967_o.jpg

3192057933_70930e986e_o.jpg

At this point, I've worn the coat about a dozen times, and I'm getting some decent creasing inside the elbows. Not much in the way of fading yet, though.

Pre-soak fit:

3134373180_6e355145ba_o.jpg

Post-soak fit:

3190033314_c83e99f164_o.jpg

Keep up the great work, Christophe. You create truly amazing clothing. I'm glad to see this thread so popular here, so I'm looking forward to posting more in the future.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the positive feedback and reps, guys. I apologize for not listing the sizing info. I bought a 38, and the measurements on SE were spot on. The coat (even the sleeves) seem to be cut fairly long for the size, which is of great benefit to me. I'm 6'2", 165lbs, and have a true chest measurement of 38". So, it's very difficult for me to find outerwear that does not look boxy on me.

I'll be around here fairly often, so let me know if you have any other questions about the MFSC pea coat. I can't say enough good things about it.

One last thing I will say, though, is that, before anyone starts thinking I have loads of money kicking around, I sold about half my wardrobe to pay for that coat. Part of the justification of doing so was to help pay for the coat, but I also realized just how mediocre a lot of my clothing was. That MFSC pea coat completely rewrote how I think about clothes, and it was damn well worth it.

MF not having made them in sizes over 44 just started sucking harder, too

It's near impossible that the 44 is too small for you, if i'm remembering your jean/shirt size properly you'd fit a 44 just fine and can stand to loose a bit of room in there...

It's near impossible that the 44 is too small for you, if i'm remembering your jean/shirt size properly you'd fit a 44 just fine and can stand to loose a bit of room in there...

Hrm, I usually wear a 46 or a 48 suit size (with 48 I usually have to have things taken in but often the 46 is too tight in the shoulders).

Part of the problem is that I'm really barrel-chested. I have a Schott pea coat which is a size 44 but the sleeves are too short. I will go and check the measurements again, but it's rare that I fit into a 44 in anything. I may not look it but I weigh close to 280 pounds. :)

I've been getting quite a couple of question with regards to what paint I used for the pin-up on my CPO shirt, so I figured I'd post the answer here.

I just used regular acrylics, ironed and hot soaked it afterwards.

Chances are it will crack and colours will fade over time and when washed, but that only means the image fades along with the shirt, I like it.

One request though, please post your results in here!

Goddamn I need to stop reading these forums, like a goddamn blackhole for my money!

For people who have the CPO shirt, in your experience, would someone with a 42" chest be ok with the XL size (44" raw)? I'm looking to wear it more as a jacket with a tee or jumper underneath.

That can't be right. Self Edge sold far many more than that. However it is pretty cool that J.Crew will stock that jacket. It means my dreams of owning it might not yet be dead...

http://men.style.com/news/blog/2009/01/this-just-in-mf.html

MFSC N-1H deck jacket at J.Crew

only 7 made?!? :confused:

it's a bit insulting...

I've promoted this line to no end, and we sold over ten of these, and here's J.Crew.. "only 7 made".

this comes as a bit of a shock. it may be close to something like head porter collaborating with artists and such or stocking rare and special designers. even so...j.crew? Mister Freedom is ultimate dad style...Free & Easy magazine says...j.crew comes nowhere close to ultimate cool dad style...i am a bit perplexed by this MF x j.crew relationship.

it's a bit insulting...

I've promoted this line to no end, and we sold over ten of these, and here's J.Crew.. "only 7 made".

I couldn't agree more, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that there'd be something coming from MF for them, i wouldn't have expected the jacket.

My 7163's - got them in July. Soaked once, and washed once since. The pictures are a mixture of with and without flash. The color is somewhere in between. If I get the chance, I might be able to snap some natural light pictures.

Front - No Flash:

DSCN1503.jpg?t=1233017236

Front - with Flash:

DSCN1504.jpg?t=1233017302

Cuff - with Flash:

DSCN1505.jpg?t=1233017328

Pocket detail - with Flash:

DSCN1506.jpg?t=1233017367

Beginnings of a Wallet Fade - no Flash:

DSCN1513.jpg?t=1233017401

Love these puppies. Have a split seam by where the buckle back joins that I need to fix, but I plan on doing it with some obvious seam repair - should add to the vintage appeal.

-Jake

I don't believe the article, I bet they were only shipped 7. Why would they go through the trouble of remaking these (and spending the money) this late in the season only to make 7 sounds like BS. Then to sell it for the same price. Plus the photo looks identical with no markings anywhere saying JCrew/Liquor Bar. Bet this is the exact same MisterFreedom jacket. I will only believe it if it comes from Mister Freedom themselves.

For the record, i have nothing against J.Crew carrying it, i actually think it's a great thing. But their marketing BS claiming there was only seven of these jackets made is something else.. Unless they are different in some way, but the photos don't look like it and the article doesn't claim them to be.