Denime

got a pair of Denime 221 today. newbie question - but how do i shrink these down? they are tagged 33w, and seem about 89cm/35''. i probably neeed them to get to around 82cm - 83.82cm - as thinking they'll stretch out to 85.95cm/33.84'' over time (as all my jeans seem to). any advice appreciated, i'm not overly fussy just dont want to do anything too wrong!

On 12/23/2023 at 12:53 AM, Maynard Friedman said:

Put them in the washing machine at 40°C, with a slow spin and no detergent.

Thanks! Did that, but need to get them to shrink more if possible. Funnily - the Denime 221 looks more like a 50s Jean on me, and the 221 seem bigger all over than the SC1947 on me- wear a 32w in both. Thighs on the Denim a lot bigger as well and I have a lot of fabric all over to spare. Next time I would consider sizing one down on the Denime 221 to make it look more like a 60s cut. Right now I’m swimming in the 33 a bit, although the waist feels about right at 33w measured now

2 hours ago, jsky808080 said:

Thanks! Did that, but need to get them to shrink more if possible. Funnily - the Denime 221 looks more like a 50s Jean on me, and the 221 seem bigger all over than the SC1947 on me- wear a 32w in both. Thighs on the Denim a lot bigger as well and I have a lot of fabric all over to spare. Next time I would consider sizing one down on the Denime 221 to make it look more like a 60s cut. Right now I’m swimming in the 33 a bit, although the waist feels about right at 33w measured now

Do the same again and you’ll be fine. Merry Christmas!

Pre-soak

IMG_9526.thumb.JPG.49b48112ad7e27121a40e0219c1cf4fc.JPG

IMG_9587.thumb.JPG.5e7917bd0fc34c00ac1711b62dfa4787.JPG

Post-soak

IMG_9621.thumb.JPG.a5b7b97b604a9620d4d1acc66d01aa7f.JPG

IMG_9651.thumb.JPG.1317c0a97126c4e3fc3a3098ba7d021e.JPG

Measurements (size 36/32)
Put it through a warm, delicate wash cycle; originally air-dried but I realized it wasn't going to dry in time, so I put it in a delicate low-heat dryer.

Pre-soak / Post-soak
W: 37.50 / 35.25
FR: 13.50 / 12.50
RR: 17.50 / 16.75
TH: 13.25 / 12.75
KN: 10.25 / 9.75
LO: 9.25 / 8.75
IN: 34.50 / 32.50

These fit great and the denim is spot on! I probably could do another wash and dry and probably will once IIY4 starts and I'm onto my comp pair.  Either way, these fit awesome; enough room for some additional shrinkage, but I like the fit as is, to be honest.

Cc: @1fookntitefd

hi guys. so have the Denime 221's, and have put in warm bath for 45 mins. worn a couple days, then put in washign machien on warm. the denime 221 still feel a bit big everywhere, including the thighs - and look more like a 50s cut on me (to my eye). is there any more shrinkage to get out, or is that it? posting a photo below of 1) denime 221 after 2 washes 2) sugar cane 1947 and 3) levi's 501s in black (just a modern/cheap pair)

perhaps i am a size or two down in the denime. i'm 5'7 and 160 lbs. the SC 1947 are a 33w, as are the Denime in a 33w tagged. waist on the Denime 221 feels good (wish would just stay here at about 32.88''/81cm or so - but usually waist always goes to 34'' on me and starts to look a bit baggy. i wear a belt to reduce this but still happens

i think a size down in SC 1947 may mean thighs too tight, but i have a ton of fabric in the Denime 221's, which is throwing me off a bit as i expected them to fit about the same as the SC 1947 but with a shorter back rise. any tips appreciated i alwasy seem to get my sizing a bit wrong despite having a spread sheet with measurements

EDIT: sorry for the photos, can get my wife to take better ones if helpful. would love any advice as worked so hard to enusre had the right fit, but seem a bit big to my eye. waist on my jeans always seems to end up at 33.84''85'' (no matter where they start at), so i was aiming to get around a 82cm waist/32.34'' as read that easy to get 1'' - 1.5'' of stretch in the waist. 

denime post wash.jpg

SC1947.jpg

Edited by jsky808080

denime221postfit.thumb.jpg.f136d0cac3dd4e28ce2c48644b58c488.jpg

hi guys - sorry for all the posts, i'll try to do it cleaner next time! so here are my denime 221 in a 33w. i'm feeeling theyre a bit bihg in thighs and that could come in a bit more, but any advice appreciated. look better in photos than when i look in the mirror and feel loose. i do dig the 50s styles anyways so they'll work overall i think

denime221back.png

The fit from the front looks great and when you hem the jeans they will fall better and look better. From the back the look is not so good anymore. The rise looks very high and still you got a wedgie. I think you should wear them lower then or have a cut with a lower back rise?! The big back pockets also don't help.

If you really only soaked and washed them once, there is still a chance it will shrink more. Did you take numbers on how much the denim aldready shrank in all deimension?

8 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

The fit from the front looks great and when you hem the jeans they will fall better and look better. From the back the look is not so good anymore. The rise looks very high and still you got a wedgie. I think you should wear them lower then or have a cut with a lower back rise?! The big back pockets also don't help.

If you really only soaked and washed them once, there is still a chance it will shrink more. Did you take numbers on how much the denim aldready shrank in all deimension?

thansk for the input. i agree the back doesnt look great, and perhaps i'll look for a lower rise next time i purchase jeans. can definatley wear them lower as well.

i did only soak them once (warm) and washed once in 40 degrees or whatever the washing machien does for Warm wash. would you consider doing another warm wash, or even a hot wash? i do seem to have quite a lot of fabric all over, and i think if waist comes in more it would probably just stretch out to 34'' anyways. i have only worn these a brief time post second wash - so maybe back area will fall into place better - they dont feel overly tight in this area - roomy really

I didnt take detailed numnbers on how much they have shrank, just the waist - and seems the waist has shrunk to wear it should be.  there is a lot of fabric in the thighs and legs overall, easily a couple extra inches - which suprises me as they are far more roomy in this area than my sugar cane 1947's (my SC's I couldnt size down as thighs too tight - but have SO much space in teh 224). this threw me off to the point i wonder if I have an odd-cut jean

Could I ask you - based on the few pics i posted - is there a jean you think would suit my frame? or would a smaller size in the denime 221 be the answer (i was just anxious then may be too tight in waist). I'm 5'7, 160 lbsish, broadish shoulders (so I tend to think straighish cuts work rather than tapers). i feel with the SC1947 and denime 221 i have the 50s ish thing covered - but any 60s style denim (or other 50s) you think could work. guess i should look for a shorter back rise

60s I had considered: Denime 224, Denime 221, Resolute 711, SC 1966 (was thinking rise quite high then strong taper may be a bit unflattering on me), TCB 60s (lower rise, but not sure TCB would work on my frame in general and have'nt seen great photos of these cuts working)

50s/others considered: Resoute 711, Denime 220a, Resolute 714, Resolute 711 but thought rise may be too low)

Edited by jsky808080

hey jsky.

as I see your pictures, it's not bad. jeans sits you well. back picture is bad, because of you used fish eye lens of your iPhone. 

When I buy new pair of jeans, always I swim in them.... My protocol of new raw pair is double wash. First I wash them in slow program for 2-3 hours in 30 C. Than to let them dry, I try them and after I repeat wash with same criteria... than wear them at home around 1 hour, when they are almost dry but you can feel still little bit humidity of them. So they finish drying on your body and they settle nicely on your body. All steps I follow with measuring all sizes...

Good luck... 

Edited by vIGGiou riou

@jsky808080 If my assumption is correct, that the back rise is too high on your 221, that would rule out the 220 as the back rise is even higher. The 224 would be the better option as the back rise is lower than the 221.

I am 6' and around 180 lbs and wear a W34 in those models. You could probably do a W32 in the 221 but that would mean stretching the waist quite a bit out again and I don't think the legs will be much smaller.

Resolute 710 will be slimmer in the legs and thighs/hips but they are also taper quite strong. It's odd that your SC47 feel borderline tight in the thighs and the Denime are still roomy. A second and third wash will definitely shrink the denim more but probably not as much as you want/need.

The Resolute 714 would also be a good option if the 710 would be too slim for your liking.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:03 AM, jsky808080 said:

thansk for the input. i agree the back doesnt look great, and perhaps i'll look for a lower rise next time i purchase jeans. can definatley wear them lower as well.

i did only soak them once (warm) and washed once in 40 degrees or whatever the washing machien does for Warm wash. would you consider doing another warm wash, or even a hot wash? i do seem to have quite a lot of fabric all over, and i think if waist comes in more it would probably just stretch out to 34'' anyways. i have only worn these a brief time post second wash - so maybe back area will fall into place better - they dont feel overly tight in this area - roomy really

I didnt take detailed numnbers on how much they have shrank, just the waist - and seems the waist has shrunk to wear it should be.  there is a lot of fabric in the thighs and legs overall, easily a couple extra inches - which suprises me as they are far more roomy in this area than my sugar cane 1947's (my SC's I couldnt size down as thighs too tight - but have SO much space in teh 224). this threw me off to the point i wonder if I have an odd-cut jean

Could I ask you - based on the few pics i posted - is there a jean you think would suit my frame? or would a smaller size in the denime 221 be the answer (i was just anxious then may be too tight in waist). I'm 5'7, 160 lbsish, broadish shoulders (so I tend to think straighish cuts work rather than tapers). i feel with the SC1947 and denime 221 i have the 50s ish thing covered - but any 60s style denim (or other 50s) you think could work. guess i should look for a shorter back rise

60s I had considered: Denime 224, Denime 221, Resolute 711, SC 1966 (was thinking rise quite high then strong taper may be a bit unflattering on me), TCB 60s (lower rise, but not sure TCB would work on my frame in general and have'nt seen great photos of these cuts working)

50s/others considered: Resoute 711, Denime 220a, Resolute 714, Resolute 711 but thought rise may be too low)

The Denime 224 cut is great. I’ve been wearing mine quite a bit. The rise is notably lower than the 220a, but still in mid territory.

12 hours ago, blooming said:

The Denime 224 cut is great. I’ve been wearing mine quite a bit. The rise is notably lower than the 220a, but still in mid territory.

Yes. Wear mine first day. Nice cut. I am glad I sized down based on the advice here  

measurement of my w31 L30 in case someone wanna know  

Denime 224 raw> one wash> one wear
W: 84 > 79  (-6%) > 84 (0%)
FR: 29.75 > 28  (-6%) > 28.75 (-3%)
BR: 39.5 > 38  (-4%) > 40 (+1%)
Thigh: 32 > 31.25  (-2%) > 32 (0%)
Knee: 23.5 > 23  (3%) > 23 (-3%)
Hem: 20.5 > 20  (2%) > 20.25 (-1%)
Inseam: 84 > 79.25  (-6%) > 79 (-6%)

Happy new year to you all.

I finally got round to giving my 220s their first soak.

I got a bit excited and forgot to take 'before' measurements,  but I'm sure someone will have already done those somewhere on here

I've just given them a machine wash to get a bit more shrinkage out and once dried I'll shorten them at work. Will report back.

20240101_113323.jpg

20240101_113006.jpg

20240103_093522.jpg

20240103_093503.jpg

And after a 40 degree machine wash (although I doubt my machine is very accurate), and 3 inches off the hem...

I'm guessing the hip flare will settle down after a bit of wear.

20240104_194748.jpg

20240104_194806.jpg

I've got very scrawny legs and no bum. It's possibly not the jeans fault 😃

Some measurements of my Denime 224. Just one machine wash at 30°C. Crazy shrinkage 

Size 34

Raw
Waist: 36.5"
Front rise: 12.125"
Back rise: 16.125"
Thighs: 13.4"
Knee: 9.75"
Leg opening: 8.6"
Inseam: 33.25"

One-wash
Waist: 33.5"
Front rise: 11.25"