On 7/4/2021 at 10:56 PM, aho said:

Big fan of the look and what the brand is doing but haven't been brave enough to pull the trigger just yet. How is the build quality etc so far?

So my main concerns at first were overall build quality, and whether or not the SW510 had been optimized or somehow altered to better accommodate manual winding vs the 7750/SW500, which I’ve read have been known to have problems when hand winding just like the 2824/SW200. So far, the case has been really great and it hides it’s thickness very well. The pushers are very crisp. The bezel was very hard to turn, but I’ll get to that in a minute. The tropic strap is actually quite thick and comfortable, and the buckle very high quality. 

The manual winding action is quite nice, so that tells me that this probably isn’t just a 7750 clone with the rotor removed. It was quite hard when researching to find anything definitive about the SW510mbhb, in terms of what is different about the movement. Perhaps because it’s so new and only in a handful of watches at this point. Regardless, it is running +3 after four days, and I’m pretty sure it gained most of that after the first day. There isn’t much change I can discern during the last two days, but I don’t have a timegrapher(just going off of my atomic g shock). 

So anyways, I was pretty thrilled with this piece, and decided to keep it. Then today, upon turning the very difficult bezel, and mind you this is bidirectional, so no ratcheting, the bezel literally popped off. It slides back on and stays firmly in place, but if you apply the smallest amount of upward pressure, it pops off.  The only thing holding it in place is a gasket. Is this normal for a friction bezel(that’s what this is right?)

Anyway, wrote hodinkee an email, because it probably needs to go back. Really irritated because this has been the best timekeeper I’ve had outside quartz. 

Edited by SuperJackle

Sorry to hear! Outside of the bezel issue (which I take to be a big issue personally) it seems good based on your findings. Shame it turned out that way!

On my end I picked up a Synchron Military as they had a few orders cancel last week, opening up some slots. Have to say I enjoy it a bit more than my Doxa Sub 300, which didn't quite live up to it's price. While the Synchron is thicker (mind you, I haven't handled thicker Doxa's like the Sub 300T, etc.), I still find it enjoyable on the wrist. Looking forward to taking this into the water.

BC6C1BBA-40EB-44EA-A001-DD290F107517.thumb.JPG.65a0b50462f80f4c7708002d78ceae97.JPG

Very nice, Aho! Also for anyone interested in the ETA vs Sellita quality debate, I came across the below thread on omega forums during my research where the user “Archer” (experienced watchmaker, from the sounds of it) gives a very detailed breakdown of the different tooth profiles, parts availability and costs, etc. 

https://omegaforums.net/threads/sinn-356-valjoux7750-or-sellitasw500-help-thoughts.61081/

His remarks are about halfway down. 

3 hours ago, SuperJackle said:

Very nice, Aho! Also for anyone interested in the ETA vs Sellita quality debate, I came across the below thread on omega forums during my research where the user “Archer” (experienced watchmaker, from the sounds of it) gives a very detailed breakdown of the different tooth profiles, parts availability and costs, etc. 

https://omegaforums.net/threads/sinn-356-valjoux7750-or-sellitasw500-help-thoughts.61081/

His remarks are about halfway down. 

Fun fact: "Archer" is actually the best watchmaker in Canada. Omega certified too. He's done a few watches for me, including a Mitsukoshi panda conversion. His name is Al Jensky. He was an Olympic archer, hence the forum handle. Very experienced and knowledgeable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 9:43 PM, aho said:

NOS 2002 Auto Royal Navy Diver from CWC

2DF3E7BD-D73A-4105-BA78-C445E593FD4F.jpeg

may i ask how much you copped this for?  i just purchased a 2004 w/ date reference. C444/04m.  it is used so i'm just wondering if i paid a fair price.  thanks.

On 7/26/2021 at 4:45 PM, SSchadenfreude said:

may i ask how much you copped this for?  i just purchased a 2004 w/ date reference. C444/04m.  it is used so i'm just wondering if i paid a fair price.  thanks.

$1600 after VAT was removed, but that's inclusive of getting hit with around $100 in customs fees unfortunately...That said, I recall seeing used ones going for around $1400 if memory serves correct

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Broark said:

New Explorer looks good @aho! I've still got my eye on a GMT Batman one day...
Anyone have suggestions for Nato straps? Thinking about one for my Sub.

i recently copped a batgirl.  shortest honeymoon ever, granted i've never owned the previous batman.

recent natos i copped that i think r gud r from hawkrigger and steveo straps.  https://hawkrigger.com/product-category/watch-straps/                  

https://www.steveostraps.com/straps-2/nato-straps

haveston's one pass service straps pretty cool 2.

latest shit i'm still waiting on is the serica dive watch and the tornek rayville reissue.  

Edited by SSchadenfreude

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Thanks @SSchadenfreude, why weren’t you happy with it? I’m sure you had no issue moving it in the current market. 

The Tornek reissue looks nice, looks like it sold out pretty much immediately.

haven't sold it. It's a good watch.  It's comfortable on the wrist (went w/ the oyster).  the movement and reserve are great imo.    I dunno, i think i'm just bored of it aesthetically. maybe that will change.  i honestly like the no date sub better, but i'm on the waiting list for a starbux...we'll see how that goes.  i've been basically alternating between a cwc and a benrus type 1 recently

the tornek will probably have cancellations.  all deposit orders always do. u could get on that or just pay like 50-100 more when the general drop comes.

Edited by SSchadenfreude

That’s been my only reservation about seeking out a GMT with a two tone bezel. I’m afraid I’d get tired of it eventually. I think the Batman color way is a bit less obtrusive, but at the end of the day I’ve got my Sub that I’m still not tired of wearing everyday. Definitely would want a GMT on the jubilee bracelet personally.

As far as nato's go, I'm a fan of UTE (formerly Toxic) which got picked up by the Hodinkee shop. Otherwise I honestly like some of the options from CheapestNATOstraps and Cincy Strap Co. My all time favorite is a strap from an old Techne watch, but mostly because it fits my smaller wrist well with good/small distance in between holes, is stitched and looks amazing beat up. 

10 hours ago, SSchadenfreude said:

^yo i ordered cheapest nato straps mustard jawns cause i missed the rrl ones.  shit is taking 4ever to get to the USA.  how long did it take 4 u?

Ooof yeah when I did the non-tracking option it took a few weeks. With tracking it was about one week. As far as the ribbed NATO's, they're indeed really good substitutes for the RRL's but without the stitched patch

1983 two tone 18k gold and stainless steel Rolex DateJust. I worked in a jewelry store nights and weekends while earning my BS in Engineering. Graduation present to me!  Figured I’d never see a better deal than my employee discount. I’ve had it serviced three times since then and to this day, it keeps NIST accurate time.

D77446B0-C16D-459D-8CAA-8265B7781084.thumb.jpeg.58d958cae7d7033fc96b3c4ad078007a.jpeg

Think my one is from around the same time . This pic is the first and only time I've actually worn it 

20210718_173529

( and I wasn't even in court .... ) 

Belonged to my father in law and was gave to me when he passed 

Edited by Flash

@lance I'm not a watch guy mate , thought I was for a while .... but no . Bought a tutor black bay ( sold it a while back ) and while it was a lovely looking watch I knew nothing about it , nothing about the movement or anything like that so it was basically just a status symbol type thing and I'm not into that . I'll wear this whenever I have to wear a suit ( weddings and funerals ) but other than that this and the other one will be left to Jack 

Edited by Flash

I don’t think of my watch as a status symbol. I’ve been wearing it for 38 years, with everything from cut offs to jeans to suits. Every time I look at the watch, I enjoy the view. A little bit of bling, a lot of dependability. I hope your son gets that kind of pleasure from the watch, Flash.

1 minute ago, lance said:

I don’t think of my watch as a status symbol. I’ve been wearing it for 38 years, with everything from cut offs to jeans to suits. Every time I look at the watch, I enjoy the view. A little bit of bling, a lot of dependability. I hope your son gets that kind of pleasure from the watch, Flash.

Neither did I , but because I knew next to nothing about it and wasn’t all that interested to learn it just started to felt that way to me . You obviously appreciate a good watch more than me mate 

if nothing else Jack will appreciate the fact that there something that belonged to his grandfather and his dad and maybe one day he can pass them on to his son 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...