lets talk watches

poopie boy

the things with tourbillon is that it's not very reliable nor durable... and if it actually is it's not sure that it'll be easy to find someone to repair in like 50 years.

Don't know if I've posted this before but I think my next watch will be the following:

DA3614.jpg

Damasko DA36, if they ever make another run.

And my new grail (or 50th birthday present to myself)

22329.jpg

But I've also got a strange soft spot for this:

alaska1.jpg

fawk, my sinn is running about 5 mins fast per hour after a bit of rough play with my son!! argh.. last time that happened, i let it die and then wound it up again and it was fine. this time, it didn't quite work. should i just send it back to sinn for servicing?

anyways, thinking that i need a more durable watch - time for digital?!? g-shock time.

It's a Sinn 756 UTC S. its been my daily wearer for a few years and had been extremely accurate. i haven't had it serviced yet, so its probably due anyways. yeah, i think i may have to send it back to germany which is a serious pain...

my iwc mark xv just started losing two minutes a day, randomly - didn't unwind or get dinged or anything. wtf.

great kermit. did you get it new or used? mind if i ask how much you dropped. still high on my list, but watches have been put off for a while... spent like 6 gs in a month on a couple, and the mrs was upset. anniv sub is definitely next though.

It's a Sinn 756 UTC S. its been my daily wearer for a few years and had been extremely accurate. i haven't had it serviced yet, so its probably due anyways. yeah, i think i may have to send it back to germany which is a serious pain...

It's an ETA movement, so you could actually get it done by a competent watchmaker anywhere (emphasis on the competent).

Not sure if you're from the states, but if you are - did you buy it from the AD, Watchbuys? If so I would contact them first. They may have someone that they can send it to for service stateside... and if it's serious then they can send it back to Sinn in Germany.

Also that might not be a bad idea to pick up a beater watch... I have a Sinn daily wearer too but I would like to buy something that I won't care as much about when I'm doing something active.

fawk, my sinn is running about 5 mins fast per hour after a bit of rough play with my son!! argh.. last time that happened, i let it die and then wound it up again and it was fine. this time, it didn't quite work. should i just send it back to sinn for servicing?

anyways, thinking that i need a more durable watch - time for digital?!? g-shock time.

For god's sake buy a $100 Seiko before you spend a penny on a Movado.

I'm already thinking about a GMT-Master II for the next one, or possibly the Sea-Dweller Deepsea

deepsea will be too big for your wrist. huge watches are a good look sometimes, but not with a deepsea, they're supposed to be rugged functional etc, not gaudy and showy.

For god's sake buy a $100 Seiko before you spend a penny on a Movado.

kiya - every time you post in this thread, i like you more and more. (lots of homo)

Just grabbed this a few days ago.

http://lifesteez.com/miscimg/submariner01.jpg[/im g]

I'm already thinking about a GMT-Master II for the next one, or possibly the Sea-Dweller Deepsea

skip the deepsea... the regular seadweller is much classier. i guess it's very similar to the submariner, though. why don't you look outside of divers now that you have a submariner?

i remember you thinking about buying that submariner like 6 months ago. congrats.

folks - my dad has a vintage rolex that he hardly wears anymore due to the crystal being scratched up. i'd like to get it replaced for him as well as give the watch a cleaning and tuneup. i'm located in NYC and don't want to pay an arm and a leg, but would like to bring it to someone reputable that can be vouched for. anyone have a spot they trust?

thanks in advance.