Show us your leather

aleopold

Lazybum.! I'm at China right now in a polytechnic that offers leather goods as a design course on an exchange program.

Apparently they'll be teaching us how to tool leather. And they'll be bringing us to some tanneries. Maybe if i have the opportunity and if you are interested, i could find some exotic stuff for you to play around with..?

Wouldn't mind since I'm planning to bulk up on exotics if the price is right. :D

Retro design belt..leather quality is lame. i just like it .not so practical ,got no lock system.always loose fit.so i just keep it in closet.any idea how to fix it.waisted.

Photo1177-1.jpg

Lazybum.! I'm at China right now in a polytechnic that offers leather goods as a design course on an exchange program.

Apparently they'll be teaching us how to tool leather. And they'll be bringing us to some tanneries. Maybe if i have the opportunity and if you are interested, i could find some exotic stuff for you to play around with..?

Wouldn't mind since I'm planning to bulk up on exotics if the price is right. :D

china has their own distributor for Horween Leather. That might be interesting :)

Haha that will be cool. Although I actually won't have much time to be doing leathercraft after next month. Time to undergo conscription :(

I won't mind a piece or two exotic, maybe a horse/croc/ostrich leg, but not too many, or i may end up not being able to afford them! :o

By the way thats some very cool exchange program there! You're on a design course? Man polytechnic sounds fun.

china has their own distributor for Horween Leather. That might be interesting :)

Ah..! Thanks.! It's in Shenzhen huh.? Gonna try convincing my teacher to bring us there. =P

Haha that will be cool. Although I actually won't have much time to be doing leathercraft after next month. Time to undergo conscription :(

I won't mind a piece or two exotic, maybe a horse/croc/ostrich leg, but not too many, or i may end up not being able to afford them! :o

By the way thats some very cool exchange program there! You're on a design course? Man polytechnic sounds fun.

Yea, i do Product design. I'm hoping it isn't too expensive...

^nice group pic of leather stuff :)

I'm proud to show this wallet, custom made based on a theme given by Kayodic (some members may know her), a pretty lady who is also into denim :)

We discussed about a possibility of making a new feminine style wallet but also need to be suitable for kayodic's denim style. The idea of light colour Lambskin external gives an impression of classy and elegant feel. Adding the popular veg tan leather internally will allow aging characteristics and contrasting the colour with the lambskin.

Instead of the usual 4 point braiding of rein, we opted to hand-roll the tough 10/12oz saddle leather lace into rounded form and use it as rope rein. We find that it is more suitable for girls to hang rather then braided rein, which look or already stereotype as manly...

Girls are always girls, they will have their day of wearing pretty dresses and skirts. So to add in more option, we include a matching wristlet for kayodic to carry the wallet as purse by hand, just like clutch bag :)

kayodiccustom4.jpg

kayodiccustom1.jpg

kayodiccustom7.jpg

kayodiccustom2.jpg

kayodiccustom5.jpg

kayodiccustom6.jpg

^ Hahaha, a great but awkward question - I think it depends on which specific brands you're comparing, and which models/lines. For the Japanese brands you'd also want to find out which workshops make the leather goods for them!

E.g. Kawatako has several lines (including some high-end products they make for Samurai Jeans), and I think neatness is lacking in their lower-end stuff relative to the price they're asking (I've seen a couple of their cheaper wallets with so-so edge burnishing) - their higher-end makes are approaching flawless though.

But in general I have to say the more fanatical Japanese workshops usually use better leather when it comes to cattlehide (they aren't lone hobbyists or one-man operations, so they can usually source better/customised stuff). And their edge burnishing is usually a bit closer to perfection.

The Japanese also use more hand-curried/stuffed leathers (I'm talking high end RM and Kawatako here), which I think are far superior to a W&C American bridle or a generic saddle/skirting leather (unless you know how to play around with the saddle leather to make it age well.)

This means $$$ though.

Interestingly, if you have a look at Kawatako's most expensive belts and wallets, they are usually made from leather that is bark-tanned in England and then hand-processed by Sedgwick's or in Japan (the folks at SE may know more about this).

I remember seeing a Kawatako brown oak-bark bridle belt for 50,000 yen...and thinking to myself I have a belt with a very similar leather made in England for $60 :P

Mmm, I guess I rambled a bit.

Short summary is that IMO the Japanese workmanship and leather selection on leather goods have been excellent but the premium for these are steep (things just cost more in Japan compared to most places, and leather goods especially so.)

Not to mention the extra $$$ you'll have to fork out if you're buying Japanese goods from an overseas retailer.

It's the leather paradox...most of the raw hides on these Japanese leather items come from the US :P

I think it's a great idea to commission something unique from our forum craftsmen (hollows, zissou, corter, unlucky, etc).

I can't speak for all of our forum craftsmen (as I have not purchased from all of them), but the folks I have commissioned items from have been wonderful to deal with, and make excellent products (so much so, I haven't bought any expensive Japanese leather goods for a couple of years now.)