Show us your leather

aleopold

Japanese retail for IH cordovan bifold wallet is 36750 yen. Calf wallet at 24000 yen. The price difference seems reasonable to me. Calf wallet uses saddle leather from UK. Btw, I think Giles is the only retailer that carries the calf leather version.

FlatHead sources their leather from Japan. Not sure about the name of the tannery though.

Those ones i posted are only 50-60 bucks, so that's understandable. I just can't justify spending over 100 dollars on a wallet which seems to be the trend around here.

^excellent job in investing in quality wallet im glad that you are happy with the wallet and that you realized the justification behind spending the "100 dollars" for a quality product. I am also glad you didnt grab a wallet from esty haha post pics of it when you have the chance

Japanese retail for IH cordovan bifold wallet is 36750 yen. Calf wallet at 24000 yen. The price difference seems reasonable to me. Calf wallet uses saddle leather from UK. Btw, I think Giles is the only retailer that carries the calf leather version.

FlatHead sources their leather from Japan. Not sure about the name of the tannery though.

I was actually talking bout comparing the price of the IH calf bifold to the 'CALF' calf bifold...

and wondering if they use the same leather on both wallets...

guess if the IH bifold costs more it is indeed because IH wants a piece of the pie, logicly, unless the leather or goat tendon would make a difference.

as for the IH cordovan bifold, I dunno if I can get away with spending that much on a wallet without finding myself in the middle of a divorce... :P

I'm definitely liking it alot though, the only thing missing is a ring to attach a reign to, like on the RRR-15...

it's a shame CALF doesn't make the bifold in cordovan...

mike, is there alot of difference between calf and steer leather, purely quality wise? I do understand your moral problem, however I don't have it, I have more of an issue with exotic leathers, although I realise that's also quite hypocrit...

I was actually talking bout comparing the price of the IH calf bifold to the 'CALF' calf bifold...

guess if the IH bifold costs more it is indeed because IH wants a piece of the pie, logicly, unless the leather or goat tendon would make a difference.

as for the IH cordovan bifold, I dunno if I can get away with spending that much on a wallet without finding myself in the middle of a divorce... :P

I'm definitely liking it alot though, the only thing missing is a ring to attach a reign to, like on the RRR-15...

mike, is there alot of difference between calf and steer leather, purely quality wise? I do understand your moral problem, however I don't have it, I have more of an issue with exotic leathers, although I realise that's also quite hypocrit...

Well, for starters. Calf or kip skin tends to be way softer unless its been specially treated.

crosspost from the belts threak, but figured the people that are not following that, might be interested in seeing this too...

as promised mike, here are some close-ups from my redmoon leather belt:

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

Thanks for the pics Tiro!

Calf skin works well when the leather is shaved to be thinner (such as when making wallets), due to the relatively high grain to corium ratio (1:6, iirc) compared to other commonly used mammalian hides. The leather is smooth, fairly strong (since there hasn't been lots of fats and other undesirable inclusions in the dermis from ageing) and usually has less defects (?, someone correct me here).

So for something like a wallet, it would make for a finer/delicate piece.

I would stick with steerhide for belting or bags though.

(although I don't quite understand how IH manages to get their belts made of 4.5 mm thick calf skin??? big calf? or wrong specs?)

I see. I think the calf bifold is IH UK exclusive.

Have you consider Manifold bifolds (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ot-emens/mqa6005-0009m-0/) or Tenjin Works Bifold (http://www.tenjinworks.com/products/detail.php?product_id=59)? Similiar design.

I've just bought my second Tandy Leather kit wallet to replace the one i've been using that spent the last 5 years in my back pocket. it may not be the nicest, but its still leather :D. put it together and applied a few coats of obenaufs for teh darkenz.

pics:

5571854199_6758e23a3f_z.jpg

With the old one. ~5 years old, gone swimming in the river, sweat on, opened and closed countless times, its a fucking wallet. lol

5571870853_afb2d8850f_z.jpg

5572458264_dcddf869bb_z.jpg

So much for guys leathercrafts, starting to do some full range of ladies leathercrafts. Very interesting, gotta think from female perspective when designing.

Using Pink leather on a common design

414032011098.jpg

Pink leather with interesting stamping

IMG_7906.jpg

Made of soft Nappa leather, folded edges, no rough edges visible.

ObbiesLongWalletWristlet4.jpg

Natural Veg Tan Hand Bag!

2503201104.jpg

my humble collection..long wallet

cordovan leather.quater dollar coin.verry thick n heavy.love it.

Wow, did u made it yourself?

james, the lipsu wallet is beautiful. i love the buttons. btw i'm the one who ordered the black wingless angel awhile ago. i have another wallet done by mr soh. will try to put up reviews soon, they are excellent products

Thanks!

Soh is the master, I'm sure you will love your wallet.

Wow, did u made it yourself?

Thanks Mikecch,Nooblett333&Obbigood..this wallet is custom made.carved outer shell verry thick ,heavy &solid..lasting for lifetime i hope.Appear in lighting or boss MAG vol # also not sure.deadstock..it cost me 400usd.bought it without prejudice.the details is amazing.

Thanks!

Soh is the master, I'm sure you will love your wallet.

Anybody heard ..wallet is your 2nd big investment?..ring2 just provoke.

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

Made my girlfriend a little something before i left the country. Design was her idea...! She thought that the fact that it looks like an envelope was "cute". :rolleyes: And its full of little nifty compartments to organize her stuff.

This is my first attempt at awl work. Turned out pretty decent. And i like the burnishing, every layer literally fused together even at the sharp corners thanks to a little beeswax and a whole load of elbow grease.:D

So much for guys leathercrafts, starting to do some full range of ladies leathercrafts. Very interesting, gotta think from female perspective when designing.

Using Pink leather on a common design

414032011098.jpg

Pink leather with interesting stamping

IMG_7906.jpg

Made of soft Nappa leather, folded edges, no rough edges visible.

ObbiesLongWalletWristlet4.jpg

Nice .design....wonder how thick is the best belt yet comfy for heavier jeans.your label still produce isnt it.what kind of leather the thickers.

Natural Veg Tan Hand Bag!

2503201104.jpg

Nice .design....wonder how thick is the best belt yet comfy for heavier jeans.your label still produce isnt it.what kind of leather is the thickers.