Show us your leather

aleopold

I'm no trying to call you out or anything, so don't take this the wrong way, but do you not use the OGL Ranonrat model? I'm waiting to get paid to place an order, and it's between the Ranonrat and the Guard Angel.

He should be asleep now in Singapore timing :D

The Ranonrat wallet is made of Lambskin and Oil-Tanned cowhides, doesn't need to maintain as often, so he didn't show it for his 'oiled my leather goods' theme post.

I hope I'm correct, Ranon :D

I'm no trying to call you out or anything, so don't take this the wrong way, but do you not use the OGL Ranonrat model? I'm waiting to get paid to place an order, and it's between the Ranonrat and the Guard Angel.
He should be asleep now in Singapore timing :D

The Ranonrat wallet is made of Lambskin and Oil-Tanned cowhides, doesn't need to maintain as often, so he didn't show it for his 'oiled my leather goods' theme post.

I hope I'm correct, Ranon :D

hey no worries Panda-san.. Obbigood is right, thanks for clarifying on my behalf. because my OGL wallet was only acquired fairly recently and given an oiling prior to use, i didn't oil it this time round because i didnt see the need to oil it again since the leather didn't appear to look dry. while i realise that proper hydration of the leather is important, it is crucial that the leather is not over-oiled. i hope this clarifies things with you.. :)

ADH, that cordovan wallet by Angelos looks good!

Hi guys. I bought my dad a cordovan horsehide wallet from Angelos. I think he's really excited. The quality really speaks for itself.

DSC_5460.jpg

DSC_5468.jpg

DSC_5466.jpg

DSC_5467.jpg

Very fine quality leather, beautiful stitching, and one of the most beautiful burnishes I've ever seen.

I agree. these are nice!

2 weeks usage, oiled twice and tanned for 2 hrs.

See pics here when new,

http://obbigoodfrance.blogspot.com/2011/04/documenting-veg-tan-progress.html

P5033385.jpg

The area near the edges darken considerably

P5033387.jpg

Shape of cards taking form

P5033390.jpg

impressions of cards

P5033393.jpg

Comparing the darken edges and the centre potion, creating a contrasting 2 tone.

how do I contact Angelo? How much is he selling those cordovan wallets for?

Around $150 the last time I asked Chris.

He uses cordovan from a Tannery in France.

so I figure this is the best place to ask about this...

is there a reason cordovan is colored most of the time, we almost never see it in tan, why?

reason I'm asking is, I'm in the process of ordering a cordovan wallet from kamida-san and he says that tan is the only color he can get, because in Japan, people prefer to dye their own cordovan for some reason.

offcourse he can dye it any color I want, but I'm wondering if it might be worthwile to stick with the tan color...

I'd imagine it's the same reason that the lighter colors of shell are more expensive/rare/harder to produce. Which is to say: there are natural imperfections in the hides that go go into making the shell. The darker to shade, the easier to hide the discolorations. To make a light colored shell you need a blemish free hide.

At least as far as I know. I fully expect Mikecch to dish out some definitive answers about ten seconds from now, if he hasn't already done it while I'm typing...

^^ Dunno...I know it doesn't come in 'natural' due to the processing of the shell during the manufacturing process.

Possibly due to the high wax content in the finishing processes?

I'm not exactly sure what the natural colour of the shell tissue would look like either.

I guess Horween doesn't see much of a market for tan coloured cordovan?

It hasn't been a popular colour for leather goods amongst Western consumers until fairly recently.

Edit: Hee, right behind you Christmas In A Submarine. :P

I know the imperfections in the hide doesn't affect the underlying shell portion (either the muscle or fascia?), unless the injury to the horse extends underneath the subcutaneous tissue.

But is is very possible that lighter colour shells are more difficult to produce in a finer grade?

I'm no expert on shell cordovan manufacturing - and it seems like the process differs between the different tanneries - someone should e-mail Horween.

looking at this rrr-16 in tan cordovan/sd combo, i think sticking to tan might be a very nice option, really curious how it'll turn out after time though...

rm-rrr-16cb-07.JPG

haven't seen any pics of worn in tan cordovan, like ever...

Corter belt came!

Looks great, but I can only fit into the last 1/barely 2 holes.... i wear size 32 301s, and this is supposed to be a 34 belt... is that right? o.o

either way its amazing. other than the shipping taking a long time because my first one got lost, this is a great belt, would recommend!

^^ Dunno...I know it doesn't come in 'natural' due to the processing of the shell during the manufacturing process.

Possibly due to the high wax content in the finishing processes?

I'm not exactly sure what the natural colour of the shell tissue would look like either.

I guess Horween doesn't see much of a market for tan coloured cordovan?

It hasn't been a popular colour for leather goods amongst Western consumers until fairly recently.

Actually, Leffot had some "natural" shell cordovan wallets a little while ago. I picked one up, and it is quite nice. Search for Leffot Fold wallet and it should pop right up. They seem to get some of the more interesting shell cordovan colors.

^ Thanks for the tip - it still looks like a light tan to me...the closest I've seen to natural would be the Japanese cordovan on some of Dolce Vita's long wallets...but these more 'natural' coloured pieces don't seem to have the same sheen as the darker colours.

^ Thanks for the tip - it still looks like a light tan to me...the closest I've seen to natural would be the Japanese cordovan on some of Dolce Vita's long wallets...but these more 'natural' coloured pieces don't seem to have the same sheen as the darker colours.

Yeah, that's why I had natural in quotes. It's really more of a tan, almost a light brown, in person. The Leffot pics actually make it seem lighter. But it's still an interesting color. I'm gonna check those Dolce Vita's now, sounds interesting.

^I'm standing under your balcony waiting for the inevitable.

My hollows mid wallet is baking in the sun. I'll treat it with some mink oil.

Here is the before, the after pictures will follow soon:

5643345191_b66eff1360.jpg

5643911326_c5d1ecd2a0.jpg