Show us your leather

aleopold

A local watch shop got this Italian bark tanned deer leather band for me - can see the little red sediments that show it's bark-tanned heritage.

Got it in this light tan colour so I can play around with the leather.

I'm thinking of either doing some dye work or texturing work...

p5270037.jpg

p5270040.jpg

^ Yeah, I was thinking that as the colour gets darker and the grain becomes more defined with age, the leather itself will look sensational...but the problem is that, at this stage, I'm thinking the colour isn't a perfect fit with the silver body and black face:

p5270032.jpg

Suggestions?

(btw, cheers Robbie!)

It's deer leather btw, so I can work it into a darker tone quite easily with heat.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I darkened the grain ever so slightly and emphasized the deer pattern a bit more with some wax rub - will put up pics tomorrow and see where you guys think I should go from there.

The talk of leather shirts made me remember this piece, by Jean Shop:

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

I tried this shirt on years ago, but needless to say, the $1000 price tag scared me away. Ever since, I have been quietly wanting a leather shirt of some sort (despite the BDSM connotations that come with that statement). Anyone on here have experience making a leather shirt? Natural leather would be cool, for the obvious benefit of "evolution", and I'm thinking (from my limited exposure) that goat hide would be good since it's generally thinner and more flexible than cow. I'd probably go for a bit more of a neutral style (not Western).

^ Cheers! I'm not sure re: the bezel; I received this from my grandfather with this bezel, and by that time it was already 30 years old.

Although my gramps did have the habit of getting his watches customised, so it may very well have been a replacement.

P.S. I think it was made after the bezel and dial styles were changed, so perhaps mid to late 70s? I'm no watch expert...

^ Cheers! I'm not sure re: the bezel; I received this from my grandfather with this bezel, and by that time it was already 30 years old.

Although my gramps did have the habit of getting his watches customised, so it may very well have been a replacement.

P.S. I think it was made after the bezel and dial styles were changed, so perhaps mid to late 70s? I'm no watch expert...

This may be common knowledge so sorry if you already know this kind of info. But if not, you can date a vintage rolex fairly easily by the serial no. This is a good resource if you are interested.

http://www.preownedrolex.com/images/html/dateyourrolex.htm

anyone willing to make a long wallet with a leather chain attached to it? or maybe two? willing to pay... pm me
roflbot2e.jpg

Still don't understand the joke behind this, but figured the message contained fit the bill nicely.

here's the progress on my jacket. all hand sewn. deer leather (chrome tan is my guess).

goofy face, but i don't give a fuck.

c2ea2181.jpg

First project having to do with anything like this. i am not truly done, but this is what I've got so far. let me know what you think!

DSC_1865.jpg

DSC_1867.jpg

DSC_1868.jpg

decorative beads to detract from an ugly bullet hole :)

DSC_1869.jpg

Bavarian stag horn buttons for the side seams.

DSC_1870.jpg