Show us your leather

aleopold

I've been looking at the different options available for leather moleskine covers for years now. Gfeller casemakers was one of the first versions I came across. I finally bit the bullet and it arrived last week. I liked that they used a thin ~1mm leather. I considered the saddleback cover but found it was thicker than I wanted. Gfeller seems to have struck a nice balance between strong and good looking.

Gfeller isn't a household name by any means but are fine leather craftsmen. The description at their site says it much better than I could:

Gfeller Casemakers Inc. is a proven leader in the supply of profoundly functional leather goods for working professionals.

Originally focusing on the needs of geologists, engineers and field scientists, we developed leather goods that carried tools, protected notes and maps and generally made field work easier and more productive for these adventurous professionals.

DSC_9024jsm.jpg

I went with Gfeller's natural Kip leather and after just a couple hrs in the sun, darkened nicely. The right side of the following image is the inside rear cover, complete with maker's stamp and serial number. The left side is the outside front which got a few hrs of sun. Note, the tan line from the Moleskin's elastic.

DSC_9040cropj.jpg

DSC_9034j.jpg

I haven't conditioned with anything yet. I've only used RMW's leather conditioner on my yearling Craftsman boots and Obenauf LP on other leather boots. I figured mikecch can offer some advice :)

^^ Mike,

I know you make your own conditioners. Can you recommend an over the counter product that's met your expectations?

I quite like Seiwa's & Oakwood's mixture conditioners - I'm know there's a few really high quality stuff out there... (there's a few UK & US brands I'd like to try, such as Sedgwick's conditioners).

DIY just allows me to use different animal oils, since most commercial stuff usually contain neatsfoot, and play around with beeswax content & scent - in this way I can make different conditioners for different purposes (e.g. a higher wax content in conditioners for bags and footwear, a higher oil content for veg. tanned leather belts, etc).

Still early days, but I'm learning quite a bit by experimenting.

Though I have to say I'm not a fan of oil mixes that are commonly available (e.g. **** boot oil), IMO it's better to get a good quality, pure oil to use in addition to wax-based mixes if necessary.

I've found that if you apply a layer of high quality animal oil before using a leather product, the grain becomes much more reactive, and it also seems to improve the results of subsequent maintenance with wax-based mixes.

I quite like Seiwa's & Oakwood's mixture conditioners - I'm know there's a few really high quality stuff out there... (there's a few UK & US brands I'd like to try, such as Sedgwick's conditioners). ....

he grain becomes much more reactive, and it also seems to improve the results of subsequent maintenance with wax-based mixes.

It should be noted that various veg tanned leathers have different qualities depending on the tannage and finishing process. Depending on the finish some oils will damage, loosen or strip the finish. Most leathers do not need an oils or lube or wax for years and years after they are made...it is only after many years do leathers need to be cared for...oil mostly changes the character and look of the leather....be careful you can ruin your finish especially aniline finishes, or make your pigment finishes sticky

Himel

www.himelbros.com

I quite like Seiwa's & Oakwood's mixture conditioners - I'm know there's a few really high quality stuff out there... (there's a few UK & US brands I'd like to try, such as Sedgwick's conditioners)....

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd heard good things about oakwood, which is easily available by amazon and the like. Appreciate your feedback.

It should be noted that various veg tanned leathers have different qualities depending on the tannage and finishing process. Depending on the finish some oils will damage, loosen or strip the finish. Most leathers do not need an oils or lube or wax for years and years after they are made...it is only after many years do leathers need to be cared for...oil mostly changes the character and look of the leather....be careful you can ruin your finish especially aniline finishes, or make your pigment finishes sticky

Himel

www.himelbros.com

Thanks for your thoughts as well.

Himel

www.himelbros.com

Cheers mate!

I play around with mostly raw vegetable tanned leathers weird mammalian hides, so I can't wait a few years before conditioning them :P I do it the old fashioned way, a quick brush, wipe down with damp cloth, gently heat and treatment with a conditioner or oil/wax mix (whatever I'm making or testing at the time) every couple of weeks of use.

For my chrome, oil, re-tanned or stuffed leathers I use a slightly different formulae with a higher water & wax content, less stabilising compounds and oils. So far so good, and I take pride in the condition & appearance of my grain :D

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd heard good things about oakwood, which is easily available by amazon and the like. Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers - Oakwood was actually recommended to me by Terry Dear, before that I did not know Australia had a decent mass-market conditioner.

Before then my local go-to product was always the small-scale produced conditioners from emu farms (works good if you can get your hands on some!)

Last wallet got lifted after 8 years of service. Here's the replacement: Question is, I can't figure out if I should I treat it with some obenauf's right away, or wait a while like some recommend?...

11tbxq0.jpg

n4ctmr.jpg

Can we get some info on this? Looking for a new wallet. What are the dimensions on this? Thanks

Can we get some info on this? Looking for a new wallet. What are the dimensions on this? Thanks

Please!!!!!!! dont destroy that beautiful italian calf skin!!!!

just put it in your pocket and let your greasy hands condition that bad boy.

there is no need to sun tan it or apply a bunch of stuff to it.

it will age beautifully on its own. if you rush the process with a bunch of oils and conditioners it will just turn a poop colored brown. and not get that awesome golden pantina.!!!! just my two cents

AMAZING WALLET BTW!!!!! REP UP!!!!!!

thanks guys....the wallet is from Jean Shop. A little pricey at $165 shipped, but the leather is unbelievably soft...it's incredibly thin, and I love the size, which is 4x4.5 when closed. It's obviously a little larger than most normal bifolds, but it is nowhere near as big as it looks in the pictures on Jean Shop's website.

www.worldjeanshop.com then click through "small leather goods" to "large wallet." Sorry, there is no direct web address to the wallet for me to post.

^

Is the cordovan on the outside of your wallet a different color than the inside cordavan? My Angelo's wallet has the same color cordovan on the outside and the inside, but your pictures make it seem like the cordovan on the outside of your wallet is a lighter brown shade.