Show us your leather

aleopold

old belt that I stole from my dad while in high school.  No idea how old it is but I wore it regularly for about 10 years. Just brought it out from retirement when I found out it fits me again. bonus pics of my SDA wallet as well, only had that about a month and a halfqzW8nE6.jpgBkIUXAu.jpg

3A2OVSZ.jpguzc97Kj.jpghXo1Ii8.jpg

Edited by pudaspriest

My Tanner Goods wallet keeps cracking/breaking my credit/debit cards. My buddy has a Tanner Bifold and the exact same thing is happening to his cards. Seems to be where the cards stick out a little past the card slot is where the pressure goes when sitting on the wallet and causes them to start cracking/breaking. Just was curious if anyone else has this issue or has any advice?? I've had my workman wallet for a couple years and it's getting a great patina, but the cracking cards is frustrating.

-Edwin

This occurs because of the design of the card slots.  Many wallets have this problem, but especially mid and long wallets with vertically-loading card slots.  This type of design puts a lot of pressure on the cards as it bends them over the the edge of the slot.  

The solution is to have horizontal-loading card slots, because the cards aren't bent over an edge.  They're under lateral pressure but rarely break or crack because there's a flat surface behind each card.  Long wallets should always use this type of construction - Tanner's Tradesman wallet, for example, uses this design and looks a lot sturdier for it.  

Another alternative is a stacking card slot like Redmoon uses - it's less convenient but having a single slot with cards stacked on top of each other helps to prevent card damage.

Last spring I was looking high and low for a SMALL wallet with fitting for a lanyard/chain, but without finding anything I was happy with. Something slightly smaller than my Angelos No.3 (4.5" x 3.75"), preferably in black. Most wallets I find in small size does not have a lanyard fitting :/

Since I got a LGC concho wallet last spring I've been on a stupid little "mission" to find other everyday items I could replace with fun "concho stuff". When I got a new phone recently I thought this was the perfect opportunity for a phone sleeve to match my wallet. Surprisingly hard to find though! I came across an Etsy seller that did sleeves that almost matched what I was imagining, luckily the seller was great to work with on a custom order which I received today:

BH2yhn3l.jpg

GcOL6Y1l.jpg

I wanted natural leather plus a black accent to match the wallet. Now I see that the seller is offering this exact configuration, the pictures might very well be of my "prototype" :D

I like how it turned out, the leather isn't awe-inspiring, but it's decent and the craftmanship is fine, too. I would have preferred a classic coin concho, though. The closure is magnetic so no snap button to potentially crack the phone with while closing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a 16oz leather belt from Don't Mourn, Organize recently. Fantastic turn-around time, fantastic construction. And I'm seriously shocked by how thick this is. Only problem is I've had some cracking after only 4 days of wearing, and I'm a little concerned. Is this just a product of bending such thick leather? What can I do to prevent this? I've put some oil on it, but I'm not sure that will be enough. First picture is new, Second is right after oiling.

maOb9kD.jpg

u2qv8ZR.jpg

Just grabbed this mid-wallet from Hollows and decided to take a few pictures while its still unused. Needless to say, it's pretty gorgeous! It's Bison on the outside, Honey-Tan saddle on the inside.

Also took a group picture of some other Hollows stuff...it's all top notch!

9MmqS0Z.jpg

PZcipGn.jpg

TyjlcLr.jpg

CUMaoo5.jpg

oWgrBPR.jpg

ndv3hDB.jpg

mSIHPRR.jpg

8ZJ2QUP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

finished my xmas shopping early so i decided to treat myself to some crusty thrift store records. instead i came up on this old set of leathercrafting books. ones a catalog and the other 2 are instructional. the instructional books are made on that cheap bible newsprint stuff and suffered major water damage so some pages are fucked. almost grabbed them but they wanted $40 and then i remembered im only about $20 interested in making my own leather stuff. 

IMG_0837_zps07a46062.jpg

aside from a few records, i did happen to pick up this interesting denim shirt. its super heavy and stiff. anyone ever hear of this brand? something tells me its a home job made from old jeans but the denim is pretty nice.

IMG_0838_zps70f665ef.jpg

IMG_0839_zps803222d4.jpg

IMG_0840_zpsebccec95.jpg

IMG_0841_zps4f25e287.jpg

The highlight of this year's Christmas haul is undoubtedly this Voyej bag.

66qIYjb.jpg

Immaculate workmanship, beautiful canvas and veg tan leather, and great hardware... extremely functional and the perfect size for my needs.  Can't say enough good stuff about this bag.

Edited by Cold Summer

I've been looking for a small black bifold wallet that I can combine with a lanyard for quite a while. Lets just say that i've given up the idea to find a wallet with lanyard fitting, so I decided on getting just a regular small black wallet and take it to a leather artisan for install fitting.

The options I'm eyeing right now is the Born + Bred from rivet and hide and the Tanner Goods utility bifold. The Tanner goods appear to be slightly bigger by the measurements. I don't need any coin compartment.

Anyone have any experience with the Born+Bred? Never heard of it, and I can't find much information about it.

Any other options I should be looking at?

Appreciate any input I can get :)

EDIT: Oh, and to not bore you completely I can show you my Angelos wallet. Used since April or so I think. Taking it out of my pocket during days, so unfortunetly it's not seeing full time use.

WIIx4nC.jpg

Edited by johanhej

• 3 weeks later...

Clean and wash my leather bag (S.F.K. mail bag)

6TlzlO.jpg

å‰å…©å¤©åŒ…包泡水並留下明顯髒污痕跡後,已經使用皮é©è‚¥çš‚清洗乾淨
並且晾曬兩日後已經完全乾燥了
清洗完æˆå¾Œçš„ç‹€æ³æ­£å¦‚這兩張照片

vnYS6s.jpg

因此,事實證明æ¤éž£çš®é©æ˜¯å¯ä»¥é€éŽæ°´æ´—åšæ¸…潔的
但是é‡é»žåœ¨æ–¼ä¹¾ç‡¥éŽç¨‹ä¸­çš„兩次上油時機

第一次在å‰ç¯‡æéŽï¼Œåœ¨çš®é©å°šæœªå…¨ä¹¾æ™‚先以液狀油大é‡æ“¦æ‹­çš®é©è¡¨é¢å¾Œä»¤å…¶å¸æ”¶
第二次在皮é©å·²ç¶“乾燥後使用è†ç‹€æ²¹æ»‹æ½¤æ°´æ´—後的皮é©

ä¸ä½†å¯ä»¥æœ‰æ•ˆæ¸…潔皮件也å¯ä»¥å»¶é•·ä½¿ç”¨å£½å‘½

以下是å‰ä¸€ç¯‡å…§å®¹ä¾›æ‚¨åƒè€ƒ

ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼ï¼

Enf8eK.jpg

昨天æ„外的屋頂æ¼æ°´ï¼Œé€™å€‹ä½¿ç”¨æœ€ä¹…的一代 S.F.K. mail bag ç„¡é è­¦çš„泡在水中
等到處ç†å®Œæ™¾ä¹¾å¾Œå› ç‚ºæ°´ç—•ã€çŸ³ç°è³ªç­‰ç­‰å› ç´ åœ¨çš®é©è¡¨é¢å½¢æˆé›£çœ‹çš„痕跡並且有異味

6NNs6g.jpg

CEgonq.jpg

最好的方å¼å°±æ˜¯æ°´æ´—了,å†æ¬¡ç”¨ä¸Šè‡ªå®¶çš„ S.F.K. Leather Soap
直接將整個包包沖濕後抹上肥皂
éœç½®ä¸€æ®µæ™‚間讓肥皂中酵素æˆåˆ†å……分分解髒污
接著直接清水沖洗乾淨後晾乾

SvY4OI.jpg

(以下三張照片因為自己清洗æ‹æ”ä¸äº¦å› æ­¤æ›²ç”¨ä»¥å¾€æ¸…洗包包的照片)

TxjiiD.jpg

tixGOX.jpg

HCNaku.jpg

éœç½®ç´„å分é˜å¾Œå°±ä¸å†æ»´æ°´ä½†ä»¥æ‰‹è§¸æ‘¸çš®é¢ä»ç„¶æ˜¯æ¿•çš„
此時就先以液狀的ä¿é¤Šæ²¹ç›´æŽ¥å¡—抹一層在所有的皮é©éƒ¨åˆ†è¡¨é¢
讓皮é©åšåˆæ­¥å¸æ”¶ä¸¦ä¸”繼續晾乾

2sY3Cd.jpg

é è¨ˆæ˜Žæ—¥å¯ä»¥å®Œå…¨ä¹¾ç‡¥
在確èªå®Œå…¨ä¹¾ç‡¥å¾Œå†é‡æ–°ä¸Šä¸€æ¬¡æ²¹å¾Œå°±å¯å®Œæˆ

• 2 weeks later...

Seemed like this thread needed a little love..

Voyej Rover II Americana wallet 2 years + 4 months. Conditioned x 6.

New custom black wallet rein (shorter than usual) from Hallows Leather.

24g1vg0.jpg

Edited by Wörn75

For sure @mp201! 

Was just on their site trying to decide what to get next! 

Might go for this badass-ness.

Their quality is aces!

10x53kz.jpg

Edited by Wörn75

Where is everybody going for affordable leather belts these days? Im looking to get a new pair of jeans and a belt with my tax returns. I won't have a whole lot to spend, but don't mind dishing a little out for a nice belt that will last a while. I don't like ones that are too wide, I had trouble getting my last one through my loops and that was annoying. So not too thick, or too wide. Any suggestions?

I have this Kicking Mule Workshop belt in black and in natural, and it is hands down the best belt I ever owned. They buckle construction makes it lay completely flat, it's very comfortable and not at all bulky. And the leather is thick and very, very awesome. Only a size 34 in brown is still available, but at $95 I'd really jump on it. I would have already but I'd need a 32 and this belt is too nice to take it to a cobbler and have it butchered by shortening it.

Edited by Cucoo