good hip hop

Some more Canadian shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGN6kSsUNf8&feature=related

Mothafuckin Black Rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6joeqLJIBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FF_8ZNKAks

I tried to find "Words of" by Marvel which is a Canadian classic but no luck.

Also we need to talk about the Mad Scientist in this thread. Reminds me of grade 10 when I was bumping this non stop.

Oh yeah, lets throw some Company Flow into the mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxo95y-rpDo&feature=related

I think I still have my Saukrates "Father Time" 12"...IMO almost as classic as East Flatbush Projects' "Tried By 12"...

Choclair was on the flip of that single...though it just didn't hold up to Sauk's joint. That was I think the one that really started it all for the Canadians in the indie hip hop era (alongside what was done by cats like Co Flow and the early Fondle Em...plus the Solesides camp). Maestro had a 12" around that time too..."Death (something)"... which actually got some burn out here in NYC cause of the video (Video Music Box played it a few times...along with Ghetto Concept's "EZ On Da Motion").

I was thinking about this joint yesterday...what a posse cut...

oNMFJIbAZ5I

And Nesk...I hear you. All good. Also, ain't nothin' wrong with early Swishahouse stuff...regular or screwed&chopped...heh. I liked/loved the lo-fi mic shit...you know that already...that was my era (although I remember writing a college essay in the New Hip Hop thread to ChattyPuma regarding/defending the crispness of the most recent Styles-P album). I just found my copy of That's Them when I was transporting crates to my new apt...I'll check it out again as soon as I hook up my table. Enjoy that Black Bastards.

EZ on the motion is fucking quadruple ghetto gold, certified classic material. my homegirl invited me to a club once and when i got there she was braggin about how her friend was boning one the dudes from ghetto concep. i introduced myself to him and he was like 46, and crazy blunted out. i was loving life that night. id kill for easy on the motion 12" but i dont think there is one, i have the cd maxi single somewhere with terrible graffiti cover art. im gonna go look for that shit.

Yeah...I would go into more indie hip hop of the 90's...but I would be doing my long-forgotten "Pre-backpack underground hip hop" thread a huge wrong.

Dammit.

By the way. Public Enemy. First 4 albums. My favorite shit. Seriously...the moment I heard Chuck D (I'm admitting that i wasn't listening to radio until after I was watching Video Music BOx/videos so I started with "Bring The Noise" and the rest from It Takes A Nation... - not a bad place to start...but I had to go back and dig up the Bumrush album)...I was blown away. Beyond G Rap and Kane...BDP...and NWA...all of which I loved dearly...PE was the hardest shit out...well along with "The SYmphony"...(yes i did prefer the Juice Crew to BDP...KRS kills SHan but G Rap wins tenfold IMO).

PE took the torch from RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, Kool Moe Dee, LL and the rest.

This is a good thread. Some of the first things that come to mind not already said:

Main Source

HZExAcVv3W0

Jeru

B8e76XpXD1o

Percee P vs. Lord Finesse, 1989

sDzr4b6EwFg

And to keep with the Toronto theme (I guess the lesser constituents of Main Source also count)...

Northern Touch. I can't believe this was 1997. Goddamn.

oD1V4kUKGX4

yo hebay, wanna get into the post backpack/indie whiteboy discussion?

i listened to a mars ill record a bit ago, they were pretty good. ink operated, 5 headed retard (mopery), E&A, etc.

back when i was going to scribble jam every year and swearing off anything with radio play, i was buying some albums that are totally suspect now. id say half my cd collection consists of white emcees with wack beats and experimental lyrics. i should probly torch that whole shelf.

i listened to a mars ill record a bit ago, they were pretty good. ink operated, 5 headed retard (mopery), E&A, etc.

back when i was going to scribble jam every year and swearing off anything with radio play, i was buying some albums that are totally suspect now. id say half my cd collection consists of white emcees with wack beats and experimental lyrics. i should probly torch that whole shelf.

I went to Scribb a handfull of times with a handfull of white friends...very apropos now that I think about it. I for the life of me though, could never get into Eyedea, and I will slap anyone that plays anything fron Anticon* anywhere near me.

Probably because I was all on El's nuts.

The last time I went I was helping my friend hide from Deacon the Villain because he was literally stalking her asking to suck her toes. So awkward...so very awkward.

*Deep Puddle Dynamics is the one exception.

deep puddle had that one track with that slug verse that was awesome.

i got a litter of knob creek and a bottle of ether

got the second mobb deep creepin outta the speakers

would prefer to stay home and drink cause its cheaper

why you tryin to hide them eggs, girl, you think that its easter?

love that song.

were you at the one where copywrite got knocked out? i think icon one punched him or something. me and my little brother ran around one year getting pictures of rappers choking my brother out. theres an amazing pic of mf doom trying to hide his face while having my little bro in sleeper hold.

I've been listening to Liquid Swords over and over lately. Can't take it off, I straight love that record.

I'll also always own 93 'till Infinity - Souls of Mischief were too good. Hieroglyphics is good but that 93 'till record stands the test to time in my opinion.

I decided to go with a dungeon mix for this road trip . By dungeon I mean wu-type stuff. I want to keep it minimal:

Poppa Wu: Visions of the...

Warcloud: smuggling booze...

Bronze Nazareth - The Great Migration

Cilvaringz - I

Billy Woodz - Camouflage

Sunz Of Man - The Last Shall be First

DJ Muggs VS. Sick Jacken

Any suggestions?

My friend just made 2 mixes for a few of my friends, good french hiphop

HH Classics Intro- Cut Killer

L'impertinant- Scred Connexion

C'est Justifiable- Kheops (ft X-men)

L'union Du Son- Alliance Ethnik

Clef Du Sous Sol- Assasin

Police- Supreme Nique Ta Mere

J'attaque du Mike- X-men

Tonton Du bled- 113 (Part of Mafia K'1 Fry)

Le Monde est a moi- Passi (ft Akhenaton of IAM)

Victime de la Mode- MC Solaar

Le repos C'est la sante- IAM

Le Crime Paie- Lunatic

Cote Obscur Connection- Kheops (ft Pit Baccardi)

Mon Clan- Shurik'n (ft faf la rage)

Respire- Supreme Nique Ta Mere (or NTM)

Elle donne son corps avant son nom- IAM

O'riginal MC's- Ideal J (Kery James shit)

Le Bien, Le Mal- Guru (ft MC Solaar)

Sans Remission- Fonky Family

Assassin de la police (La Haine)- Cut Killer (total mix)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c5q4g1

and here's one that has mixed hiphop

Intro- Cut Killer

L'original- Alliance Ethnik

Otha Fish- The Pharcyde

I get physical- Pete Rock & C.L.

Smooth

Scred Connexion- Scred Connexion

Coolie High- Camp Lo

The Dig- People Under the Stairs

Charcoal- Planet Asia

Manifeste (ft Akhenaton)- Shurik'n

Time Bombe Explose- X-men et Diable Rouge

This is me- Asheru & Blue Black

Throw Your Hands in the Air- Black Moon

L'aimant- IAM

Le Ghetto Francais- Ideal J

Prowl- Heltah Skeltah

Bouger La tete- IAM

Situation- Lootpack

Trainer la nuit- 113 Clan

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yofuzx

get into it!

Whats the best G Rap album? My vote probably goes to Live and Let Die.

That's very West Coast of you to say. Ha...that was the one classic G Rap album that took me some time to get into (many heads in NYC actually)...all due to the funked out production (although "Ill Street Blues" and the remix to "On The Run" were certified legendary status heaters).

g rap peaked on 4, 5, 6. i do like the cold chillin output, but i likes me g rap more gangsta. road to riches be the better old school album.

I agree with 4,5,6 as far as his album making goes. It's hard for me to say though...4,5,6 is definitely one of my favorites...but it is also a totally different type of generation than my two other picks currently in a game of tug of war...Road To The Riches and Wanted: Dead Or Alive. I mean shit..."Road To The Riches", "Men At Work", "Truly Yours" versus "Streets of New York", "Riker's Island" and "Kool Is Back"...and "Death Wish" for the fuck of it (I think I lean towards Wanted's direction).

There's a super fresh rip of the Stretch n Bobbito episode featuring G Rap and Grimm promoting the 4,5,6 album. Retarded freestyle session, fun phone crunchtime session, and interesting q&a from Bob (at that point, G Rap's favorite shit he wrote I think was "Kool Is Back"...Bob's favorite album was Wanted...). Stretch has it posted up in his blog.

Hahaha yeah...I guess you can't talk about underground shit without the obligatory mention of how the shit went totally college/university and was white-washed with the dull edge of suburbia.

A good bunch of that weird shit came from Cali and Hawaii. The lesser known Project Blowed related acts as well as Log Cabin. 99% of that stuff ,like Shapeshifters (Anticon being the all-too-obvious example), I would've been just fine without ever witnessing/hearing. Oh well...all in the name of diversity, huh.

Although I really don't wanna get too into that...it was a blessing in disguise cause it got me really wanting the most ignorant, street or radio friendly shit to combat it (plus bringing that whole attitude to shows I was involved in was fun too...I remember whenever a new Nore or Aaliyah joint would drop, we'd download the instrumental (fuck, I said "download") and throw that in our set to rhyme over...people would dig it but wouldn't have a clue at the same time...or when we'd throw on the shit sampled for CNN's "BLoody Money" as an intro...more looks of "hmmm this is cool but what is it's relevance?").

Also remember a time I performed with my man Tes at Brownies and Sole (yeah Anticon) was the headliner. I would often rock this long-billed fisherman's cap with the drapey fabric that hangs over the rear half of your face/head...often referred to as the "Arafat hat"... Well...I, especially, got a lot of flack the next day from the Anticon forum for being "wack" cause I didn't "know how to rhyme properly" since I 1. was using slang, made weapon references, said "Arafat hat" more than once, and wasn't humming, harmonizing and mumbling, "chopping" (you know the rapidfire shit they stole from CVE and Freestyle Fellowship), nor talking about post-modernism or butterflies...2. shitted on the Live Poets at the end of my freestyle...it was pretty hilarious and I won.

That's all.

^GT or Grey Type or Grey.

I dunno what type of acts or crowd I ended up in front of. Still to this day, if I think about it, shit's puzzling. It really wasn't one of those Scribble Jam type crowds though...no I didn't ever perform with Edan or Atmosphere or whoever else in that whole movement. The only time it would get remotely close to that was the two unfortunate times Anticon ended up on the same flyer as me. It was just some lower echelon underground NYC shit...although Can Ox was often part of the deal...and the last show I performed at was at Piano's in '03 with Tes, Jemini Da Gifted One (when Dangermouse was his DJ and half a year before he did the Grey Album), Prince Po, and Poison Pen/Stronghold.

Yo...Seagraves...is that the cat from Hip Hop Infinity? Why do I recognize that name.

Furthermore, I'd liek to express my dislike for the new Superfuture "engine"...do NOT press the "edit" button. Your well worded wisdom will be deleted off the planet.

I'd like to try and retype what I so perfectly expressed in a now-lost edit of my previous post...in saying that I hardly ever performed with any Scribble Jam type acts. It was only twice I had the unfortunate luck of sharing a flyer with Anticon. I never performed with Edan or Eyedea. It was primarily lower-echelon NYC underground shit. The last show I performed at (wasn't my show...but my man featured me during his set) was with Tes, Jemini Da Gifted One (with a relatively unknown Dangermouse as his DJ...half a year before the Grey Album was made), Prince Po (who was supporting Jemini, I think), and Poison Pen/Stronghold. It was at Piano's. It was fun...but I slacked and forgot my verse after about 8 bars in...just wrote it the night before and it was over Freeway's "Flipside"... oh well.

Further furthermore...

if I say I forgot my verse...that means it just turned into a freestyle... most of the shows Tes and I did was 85% off the top...just with nicely mixed instrumentals and some pre-planning on hooks and the occasional fully written song, here and there.

We did not rhyme like Supernat nor did we rhyme like Murs or Casual...nor did we rhyme like Slug or KRS-1.

Lived that life.

I love old school hiphop and I bet a lot of you guys do too. Check out one of my mixes I did, direct link plus cover below. Right click save as, jam out and enjoy everyone!

OGG Hip Hop

qox1tt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...