good hip hop

NESK: opinion on Dela?

I've been enjoying this album so far. This producer could eventually catch the Stoupe syndrome if he's not careful, meaning the MCs he gets featured on his tracks might not be worthy of his beats.

He's gotta keep building his connects and getting better features. But this is a good start, and a stellar release.

Terribel...

I hate you...bastard. Why did you do something like this? I've been fighting the urge for many moons to create a topic similar to this...too similar.

Part of the reason I've been avoiding the "superculture" part of the new forums...

Fuck. Must fight...gukclkafhalkhaskgasg

I'm currently listening to To The Death...yes...a young M.O.P. screaming "ante up" as a hook waaay before 2000.

Okay now I must self-medicate to forget that I ever saw this thread (if I care to finish any of the projects I've been working on, well, working on).

awww fuck it. Kudos to the mention of The War Report and Show & AG's Goodfellas. CNN's shit was religiously carried into every whip I got into for a period of 3-4 years starting back in '00 (alongside The Reunion)...that's how I tested someone's "system".

I'm gonna go easy for now...

O.C. - Word...Life : I'ma say that this was slept-on due to shittier promo than the unmentionable Illmatic...cause it ain't any less stellar. Maybe also cause it didn't feature production by Primo...but since '94...I've bought two copies of the CD, made numerous tape dubs and two CD back up copies...blah blah blah. This masterpiece also saved my sanity whilst stuck in shitty LA traffic over the weekend...("LA, LA" indeed)

If I say O.C., I have to mention Organized Konfusion for their S/T and Stress: The Extinction Agenda. Those two were on some other shit...waaaaay ahead of everyone else. "Releasing Hypnotical Gasses"...in '91???? Both albums were bonkers. 'Nuff said.

Also. Redman's first two (Whut? Thee Album and Dare Iz A Darkside) will always have a special place in my heart...even over Muddy Waters, which was great as well. Whut... is great for exactly the same reasons as any other classic of the era...witty lyrics, original styles with genuine charisma, dirty-heavy-sample-laden production (where one song has 3 infamous drum breaks stacked atop one another...not to mention the actual melodic samples), plus conceptual thought applied to a good portion of the songs ("soopaman luver", "how to roll a blunt", "hardcore", etc.)...you don't get this type of hip hop album these days...or at least not with the same level of integrity,

Dare... is just dark and twisted. Red's style progressed to this rapidfire monster, perfectly complimented by the backdrop of even-more-lower-ended-spacey-funk beats. Seriously though, I had this on during a recent Thanksgiving Day drive in (more) traffic...and I made a comment to my girl about how easy Red made it seem when he delivered it on this joint. Not to mention that "Rockafella" is probably one of my favorite music videos of all time.

I also can't talk about this period ('93-'94/5) without forgetting to mention Black Moon's first and Smif&Wessun's first. A surprising amount of memories tied to those joints (I say this cause that was when I drank my first bit of liquor and 151 firewater...and did the backtoback 4 blunts of chocolate sessions).

I won't even talk about the Purple Tape and the handful of other solos I cut school that Tuesday to be the first in line to own.

Shit...'94 vs. '95...hmmm.

add the Artifacts Between A Rock & A Hard Place to that list of '94 favorites. SO SOLID. Tame's style was ridiculous and pleasantly highlighted the fact (without having to actually say it) that he was Redman's cuzo. FLEXI WIT DA TECH.

Alright,I'll Play

KMD- Black Bastards - Best album from that era that was shelved

Diamond D- Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop- Underated as fuck, Love that DITC shit

Black Moon-Enta Da Stage-Mad grimy blunted shit. Also, throw in that Diggin in the Vaults album " Six feet deep in the creep...."

Gangstarr- Hard to Earn & Daily Operation -Preeeeemo

add the Artifacts Between A Rock & A Hard Place to that list of '94 favorites. SO SOLID. Tame's style was ridiculous and pleasantly highlighted the fact (without having to actually say it) that he was Redman's cuzo. FLEXI WIT DA TECH.

thats them is a better album i think. wrong side nad flexi are better singles, but i can bump thats them end to end repeatedly and never get tired of it.

favorite boot camp album - OGC - da storm. i saw some 12"s off that album that i think im gonna have to go pick up.

whoever said kmd, mr hood shits all over black bastards. the concept/theme/storyline/whatever of mr hood is hilarious. might top de la soul is dead for entertainment value.

brand nubians two first albums are gold. ill take everything is everything over one for all if i had to, though.

outkasts first album was groundbreaking. best videos of that era.

fuck havent been able to stomach posting much for apparent reasons.. but heres something.

Freeway - Street Music (+ 15 other tracks hes been putting out)

also, Stimuli has been dropping tapes, didn't have a chance to listen to these yet but I expect dopeness.

20081218-sha1.jpg

Download My Demo

The Funeral

Verses The World

Outkast's first album still their best IMO.

no doubt.

im also all about the goats. tricks of the shade is a great album. these dudes never got much shine cause ruff house was pushin cypress hill way hard and kinda left the goats on the back burner. but tricks is almost as good as cypress' first album. plus the sample schooly d.

Alright,I'll Play

KMD- Black Bastards - Best album from that era that was shelved

Diamond D- Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop- Underated as fuck, Love that DITC shit

Black Moon-Enta Da Stage-Mad grimy blunted shit. Also, throw in that Diggin in the Vaults album " Six feet deep in the creep...."

Gangstarr- Hard to Earn & Daily Operation -Preeeeemo

Excellent. Much of the early DITC stuff was ridiculous. I never was a huge Lord Finesse fan though. He had joints on his (first) three albums though. Diamond D's was great...

You named the two best Gangstarr LP's...of course. Hard To Earn was a landmark for Primo's production, IMO. That was when he really locked on to what he'd continue doing even up to this day.

As I said...Enta Da Stage is up there with the other "required classics"...Vaults was 1 song short of being a perfect collectible piece...it was missing one of their most vital B-side joints..."Reality"...from the "I Gotcha Opin Remix" 12". If you don't know this song, you are missing out big time.

KMD's Black Bastards...an era-defining release...seriously. It's got that ultra gritty, mid-90's NYC feel to it. As important as Mr. Hood was IMO. This showed the progression into a more pissed-off, tooly in the North Face next to the walkman with a Stretch & Bob tape playing, 90's mentality (yet still maintained a "conscious" message/undertone that was relevant to the time period...from the art and sample intermissions to a song like "Black Bastards"...the Parker Lewis line is hilarious). I guess you'd have to have lived in that era, in this city, to fully grasp it as something more than just music...but a snapshot of the subculture. The jazzed-out sampling is key as well...not only did Zev kill those beats...but it made 100% sense in regard to further perpetuating the whole afrocentric stee they were on.

Not to mention...(although not on the original LP...but from the same period) the "What A Niggy Know Remix" is still one of my favorite remixes of all time (due to the cameo by Grimm and super fresh use of a sped-up vocal sample).

thats them is a better album i think. wrong side nad flexi are better singles, but i can bump thats them end to end repeatedly and never get tired of it.

favorite boot camp album - OGC - da storm. i saw some 12"s off that album that i think im gonna have to go pick up.

whoever said kmd, mr hood shits all over black bastards. the concept/theme/storyline/whatever of mr hood is hilarious. might top de la soul is dead for entertainment value.

brand nubians two first albums are gold. ill take everything is everything over one for all if i had to, though.

outkasts first album was groundbreaking. best videos of that era.

A few things here. I liked That's Them...Art Of Facts was a great single...the Showbiz remix got mega burn as well...but I have to disagree about the overall LP being better than Between A Rock... Maybe cause I was paying more attention to them in '94 (I was younger and it was really one of the best years in Hip Hop...esp. for New York...if you disagree...you're dumb and were too young to have known I guess)...you had Buckwild and T-Ray (Soul Assassins) and Redman on production...Roc Raida on cuts... the videos were fresh as was the remix to C'mon Wit Da C'mon (w/ BUsta Rhymes and the Axelrod sample Swizz recently looped for Weezy).

As a matter of fact...I remember rushing out to get a Superman t-shirt cause of the C'mon Wit Da C'mon video. (also kinda wanted a Charlie Brown shirt like Vex from the Boogiemonsters had in the Recognized Thresholds video)

Your favorite BCC album is the last one I listened to (well I peeped the BCC album...but only liked the Illa Noize joint...maybe one other as well). That's pretty surprising though. I liked this album...but found OGC to be the weakest lyrically out the Fab-5 (not even going to make the comparison to Buckshot or Tek n Steele)...it also paled in comparison to Dah Shinin and Enta Da Stage...again, there's no comparing the two to Da Storm. Nocturnal was the more tighter of the two 2nd gen. BCC albums where the production switched up from being solely handled by Da Beatminerz.

Ah...opinions are like a-holes.

I agree with the Brand Nubian and Outkast bits though. For sure.

haha nesk wtf... i couldnt pick a track of orginized konfusion but i was gonna post the vid for stress in this thread... same for word...life but couldnt find it.

audio sucks on this one but its all there is:

Han0Afc8pwA

and redman tonights da night

43LBoXllJKY

You mean "haha hebay wtf..."???

hebay: my boot camp picks are off kilter. ill take magnum force over nocturnal. i aint havin that is my jam. the hto sex flip is awesome. lefleur leflah cant touch it, and i love that track to.

i roll with OGC cause my homeboy used to pick really mediocre records and bump them liek classics. i spent a summer at his house and my music diet consisted of OGC, mo thugs family, and early swisha house c&s mixes that were mindblowingly basic. OGC became a staple because it was the only one i could get all the way through and it grew on me.

im gonna bump both kmd records tonight and get back to ya on black bastards. ive gone ack to mr hood so many times over the years but havnt pulled out black bastards for the simple fact that the niggy know remix isnt on it. i hope i find that 12" someday but itll probly never happen.

as for artifacts, between a rock had that lo fi fucked up mic vibe, which i was probly getting enough of from wu, and bootcamp. so when thats them came out all polished and clean sounding, i was fucking with it.

motherfucking hate runs deep!!!!!!

i saw this performed sans marvel (i forget who did his verse) at manifesto and my face exploded. there were so many classic canadian tracks off the beat factory rap essentials series.

choclair - what it takes

scales empire - bright lights, big city

k os - rise like the sun

and some early mathematik (ecology, his first lp, its still unreconized classic material )

Nigga It's I...CHOCLAIR....

I got into Choc and Sauk at the same time. They were my introduction to Canadian rap. I remember thinking Choc would be wack when I saw his add in the source where he's sitting on a chair of Ice. This was right int he middle of the Jiggy rap era so I figured the ice chair was some sort of visual metaphor for how icy his rhymes were. Really, he was just expressing he was from the Great White North and his rhymes were cold as ice in a good way. My mistake Choc!

Id be interested in hearing some more standout Canadian artist?

And seriously...Bastards is the better KMD album on the strength of

eaxe1cJh0h8