good hip hop

its only cool if you rock your ipod on shuffle and lil wayne comes on after aesop rock. otherwise, your a college-rap, nerdcore backpacking cracker. symptoms include using the world "real" when describing music you like, never listening to radio, having an unkempt goatee, unashamed terrible beatboxing tendencies, and having one black friend that you take everywhere for ghetto points. symptoms can be reversed by listening to clipse albums on repeat or just telling your friends that "their mixtapes are better than their albums". you dont actually even need to listen to any clipse records once to achieve this.

anyone ever get on that 90's Japanese underground tip? Hardly any lyricism- most of the shit is just cheap budget productions

got like 400 different dj's on a external hard drive somewhere in the garage... shit is not bad at all

post them shits up mah dude.

anyone ever get on that 90's Japanese underground tip? Hardly any lyricism- most of the shit is just cheap budget productions

Pretty debatable about the lyricism. Until you hit NMU, 95% of hip hop over there was 'underground' anyways. Their first LP was really the first widely successful non-party rap ish, and signaled the end of the commonly termed 'golden-era' of Japanese hip hop. After this was the huge commercializing of the genre, (which before had only had limited success/exposure ie. Maicca) outside interest (Def Jam Japan....) and terrible pop-cross breeding like Rip Slyme, KTCC (Little used to be so good-) and on and on.

Shit to listen to/google:

King Giddra (K-Dub Shine, old Zeebra, DJ Oasis)

Shakkazombie

Soul Scream

Buddha Brand

Rhymester

Some of the heavy groups at the time.

Look for the Cutting Edge (label) compilations. They were a great company for mid-90's shit.

post them shits up mah dude.

searching for that shit in the garage....

and yeah, Appleseed, Shakkazombie is dope. DJ Oasis is the shit though... youtube got some good tracks off em. Japan actually had a really fast hip hop - hip pop transition. Shit got mad ugly after a while. I really want to hear some of the dope shit Nujabes did before Modal Soul and w/e tracks from hip hop inspired animes.

• 2 weeks later...

fuck, just listened through Never Better..

I usually do something at the same time when listening to albums, and admit to often skimming them through at the first listen. but from the first track I just kind of let this play through while staring at blank screen. I dont know if it was partly the ambience, but this album is SICK. I have must listen to it again now..

[/i]anybody up on Blu? Strong Arm Steady? the whole New West stuff?

i think blu is my favorite rapper of the past 2 years. i honestly cant get enough of this guy. the crac knucks album i could take of leave, but betwen the heavens and j&j are as dope as anything i was into 10 years ago. i stongly appreciate him.

someone pm me the pos album because i cant find the vinyl. rhymesayers usaually drops wax a month after the cd comes out, so im fucked for the time being.