good hip hop

i know this is left field, but as much as i hated electric circus when it dropped, i loved it live. common was in town after that album and i was pretty over him by then, but i wanted to see him do his old shit. and he ripped through his classics and then did his EC stuff and some of it makes sense live. not all of it, but some of it works. the next time i saw him live he was on some masterpiece theatre acapella iambic pantameter style that i couldnt get with even for a minute. but i cant really hate on EC anymore, even though as an album, its toilet paper.

Tip's album has been on constant rotation. I havent listened to much else except for Static and Audio Heroin. I was scared he was going to have one hot single and a bunch of corny follow up tracks like Amplified but I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully he doesnt go on another hiatus like he did before.

Tips new album is the best new shit I have heard in a while...saw him in TO on Friday and the concert was bomb. He pulled out a bunch of Tribe stuff that was killer...plus he has the dirty nasal voice that never runs out of breath.

dude, they new clipse tape is hilarious. shoutin out hypebeast and biggin up apc like its brand new. i fucking love it. play clothes! ahhhhhhhhhh.

how does pharrel not clue them in that they are 4 years late. i know pharrels about as relevant and cutting edge as von dutch, but he must know how behind the curve his crew is getting.

shouting out lupe like it means something, thats fucking brilliant. i hope this was recorded in 2007.

edit: oh SHIT! 2009 posts. 2009 is ours, RE-UP!

dude, they new clipse tape is hilarious. shoutin out hypebeast and biggin up apc like its brand new. i fucking love it. play clothes! ahhhhhhhhhh.

how does pharrel not clue them in that they are 4 years late. i know pharrels about as relevant and cutting edge as von dutch, but he must know how behind the curve his crew is getting.

shouting out lupe like it means something, thats fucking brilliant. i hope this was recorded in 2007.

edit: oh SHIT! 2009 posts. 2009 is ours, RE-UP!

It's brand new to a whole new audience of hypebeast now.

Both of those albums are sub par in every way imagineable. Please, for the love of god, lets just move on.

Here are some albums that Ive been listening to.

Dela - Change of Atmosphere.

Well, At first I thought it was odd that this guy would take half the name of a classic group. Then, as I listened, I thought it was even more odd that it sounds like that this could have been the production for any De La album after, and including, Stakes Is High. Then I stopped caring because it sounds amazing. This is a throwback to the sound that everybody clamours for. Very jazzy, very snazzy, very down to earth and refreshing glass of ill in a young jeezy, 808 and heartbreak, lil wayne world.

Ill Bill - The Hour of Reprisal

Well, it's ill Bill you know (what the fuck!) 'you gettin'. Conspiracy raps, two or three songs with great production followed by 10 or so songs of casio keyboard mixed with crappy guitars courtesy of Necro. Theres one or two stand out songs, but if you are part of that niche group that thinks Non Phixion is the greatest shit ever, then you just might love this. I would give it a 3 out of 5. I bumped it up a point because theres a track thats a Biography of Slayer, whats more hip hop than that?

David Banner - The Greatest Story Ever Told

Much like NESK, i really want to like this dude. Sometimes he comes with knowledge but just like every other album its wrapped in stereotypical shit. The Stand out track is a manifesto against the state of black people and a middle finger to the police. He talks about black people only hurting other black people, pimping each other, etc. But then on the very next track 'called 9mm' he's spits 16 bars about killin niggas and lickin 9 shots from his 9 and blah blah blah fuck you Banner. Theres also a track with UGK featuring a posthumous verse from Pimp C where he speaks on his dick and balls and how he has a myspace page just for them. 2/5. Though, I feel a lot of people will enjoy it.

Then I've given the Demevolist mixtape a few listens which I dont even care to review, it gets a 2/5 because of some production that saved it from being completely boring. I already mentioned Blaq Out and if you havent listened to it yet, well then, thats your loss.

EPMD's album was OK upon first listen, but I think I would like them to progress in sound a bit. Yeah its cool they sound like 1996, but they need to tweak that a bit. If I want a hip hop time machine, well, I'll just listen to Business As Usual or something. I dont need the same album over and over. PMD should probably rap less, too.

Does anyone have the original version of Soulja Boy & Bow Wow - Marco Polo?

the one that's like the youtube video

every one that i've downloaded has had a different Bow Wow verse at the beginning

Kill-yo-self.

Theres already a thread for new shit, but what about good old crusty forgotten shit? Some of the old stuff still runs circles (raps bars?) around anything released within the past 8 years. What's been your collection for years and will never leave?

Here are some of my favorites that I just cant take off my playlist.

Capone-N-Noreaga - The War Report

I was living in Chicago when this album dropped, and even all the way in the mid west I knew this was a big deal. Gutter ass dungeon Queens rap. I dont know if theres anything better, no matter how much I love 'concious rap' (fuck that term) I cant get enough of this.

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

This was basically the skate soundtrack back in the day. Almost every singe song on here is a banger. Queens being my favorite (you may notice a pattern here).

Main Source - Fuck What You Think

Main Source on some gutter shit. Hard production and hard rhymes. Word to Large pro.

Freestyle Fellowship - To Whom It May Concern

I found this when I moved to Socal. This was my introduction to Project Blowed. So many great shows there. Mikah 9 off the dome is something you just have to witness. Unfortunately the atmosphere just isnt the same, but still, the music speaks for itself.

Now you, lets see if we can go without mentioning Illmatic or 36 Chambers.

yo this thread is perfect since i just had to pack 9 crates of vinyl up and move them back to my parents house. in packing, i saw so much shit i forgot i had that is still mindblowing.

schooly d - smoke some kill

divine styler - microphenia

paris - sleeping with the enemy

tonnes of spice 1 12"S

and that US3 album with cantaloop on it

sorry bout the dead horse massacre but i gotta sink my teeth into this kanye record for a quick minute (terrible can stop reading now).

the record isnt bad. its a little ambitious but not terrible. i like kanye enough to give him a chance even if its a vanity project. i think hearltess is a great track and i can fucks with half the other tracks. in fact, theres only a few that make me cringe and i forgive that since its not a style im fond of anyway, so my expectations are low.

now... the epic fail quotient comes in on the live performace of this album, which is infinately more embarrassing since his public persona is so arrogant. i just watched the SNL perfomance and i feel really bad for kanye. if your gonna put your heart on your sleeve, make sure your singing voice is able to convey at least a little emotion. when the autotune isnt bringin him up, his voice is incredibly flat. his dancing is brutal, not even humourously brutal like diddy.

he also wearing his influences too hard. combine his jacket and his marching step and you get the ghetto chris martin nobody asked for. and hes got no voice to back it up. with nothing but his backdrop (which is awesome even if derivitive or a straight daft punk swaggerjack) all i can watch is his embarrassing fumbling around stage. its almost as bad as the ashlee simpson dance and hes one wardrobe malfunction away from total career ending humiliation.

his stylist and voice coash should be crucified for lettim him take this live so unprepared. i wanted it to be good, but its soooo fucking wack.

this thread can go on longer than Pi....

uhh

Ras Kass - Soul On Ice (Anything Goes + Marinatin + Reelishymn + Miami Life ... the album got other good stuff but those 4 are holy)

Above the Law - Uncle Sam's Curse (The G In Me is my fav.)

NWA - Niggaz4Life (better than str8 outta compton....IT'S THE WORLD'S BIGGEST DICK)

Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal

Spice 1 - 187 He Wrote

Westside Connection - Bow Down

Scarface - The Diary

another good one: http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=WJOoDsaRTIs

King T f/ Dr. Dre - Monay

that whole Kingdom Come album was one of the best things to (n)ever come out of Aftermath