Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

mega; another vote for the brown sd leather. I have a pair in this leather as well and they look great either way; polished or not.

I really wanted to get a custom pair of the brown horse hide but unfortunately its only possible on the sd ; i wanted the bountyhunter model.

Thankyou everyone for your help, just one final question. If I go for a toe cap do I need to have a celastic toe? Is there any danger to not getting a celastic toe?

Edited by Megatron1505

any visual difference compare to one with celastic toe? @ layne

Thankyou everyone for your help, just one final question. If I go for a toe cap do I need to have a celastic toe? Is there any danger to not getting a celastic toe?

get the single celastic toe so the toe box won`t look sunken in

any visual difference compare to one with celastic toe? @ layne

it's definitely a little bigger than a celastic, but it's way less bulbous that I'd imagined. I can say that they are heavier. My steel toe SJs aren't light by any means... but I basically only wear them for work purposes.

if you're looking for a casual boot, I wouldn't get a steel toe just for the fuck of it. these things are a tank work boot... not something you wanna roll to the mall in.

Edited by Layne

Ok, I've done a lot of yapping over the last few pages, and not a lot of showing. These arrived to me today (again, new to me), I picked them up for a steal from a really nice guy on the Iron Heart Forum. This is my first experience of Smoke Jumpers, and I'm so impressed that it had bought me some thinking time on my custom order ..... or at least satisfied my blood lust for now.

Pics taken both with and without flash to give a balance of the true colour.

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

Yeh, smooth brown. I always thought that Smoke Jumpers looked crap compared to SD's and Bounty Hunters, but after getting these I just think that it's a case of not being very photogenic, because in the flesh they are great.

Like Hollows said, the Smoke Jumper was originally made for firefighters who go into woodland fires from helicopters. The version I have is definitely more fashion oriented, as it is lower, and not fireproof.

They are an extremely sturdy and well constructed work boot, and the comfort is great if you're on your feet a lot during the day (which I am most of the time).

I'm trying to decide between the Red Wing 2990 engineers, or the Chippewa engineers.. theyre about $100 different.. should i spend the extra $100?

mega, those smokejumpers are nice. i have to vouch for the comfy-ness of the SJ's as i am on my feet a lot. they offer some really good support and they are pair of very substantial boots. in fact they were a bit too substantial for my needs (with no discredit to them) and i sold them in the end in trade for a pair of BH's which were more suited.

Mega, if you take a toe cap you need to get celastic toe or steel toe. If not, you can take the soft toe option (not on the website but possible)

today i went on a little adventure to nyc to try on a pair of wescos for sizing my custom narrows. when i got to the store to try them on, i realized that engineers aren't my thing :(. i don't think that i can ever get over the heel slippage (maybe the sizing was fucked up, but either way, i didn't like them too much). on the other hand, i did find out that LOVE the whites and their archease system. i'm planning on ordering a pair of dark brown or cordovan (probably water buffalo) classic semi dress. PUMPED!

CRAYZ SIZING ON THIS POST!

Edited by wgmds

Anyone making smooth raw leather shoes like Esquivels under $750?

Here's an example:

http://1.bp.blogspot...00/IMG_9993.JPG

I had a pair of natural veg. tanned boots once - wouldn't recommend it, had a "chemical" mishap and the leather was permanently disfigured...had to re-dye it to black in the end to make it presentable again. Too much effort :P