Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Can anyone help with comparing the Alfred Sargent Selkirk (or the Kelso) with the Grasmere?

Also from googling them (the AS) they seem to vary tremendously in the apparent RRP from £219 to £270?

Thanks in advance for any help

I presume the lower prices are older stock - in many cases they only have limited sizes.

Having looked at the Selkirk in the flesh, it's a really well-made boot. I believe it's a true Veldtschoen construction, too. Would love to know CTB's opinion as he owns the Grasmere.

As mentioned on the ROY thread, sounds like it's not good news re Sargent. I dropped in at a lovely Yorkshire shop called Marshall & Son, which has been going since 1894. Mr Marshall Jr ( I would guess he's in his 80s?) told me he recently received a letter saying they're going into administration and won't be able to fulfil his order. I presume this is the second time, since their last crisis circa 2009. He'd been told they might well survive, but will have to move to a smaller factory and reduce production. Very sad news.

Marshall's incidentally had a very good stock of brogues - their own at £160, which looked better than Loake quality to me, Tricker's at £300 and quite a few other one-offs.

marshalls.jpg

Marhsalls2.jpg

Thanks Paul - From what I can see the Grasmere is very thick and tough leather but maybe not as water resistant though I may be wrong. I can't find anywhere with the Selkirk in my size ( 11 if their sizing is similar to Trickers) but I did find the Kelso for £190 which looks an increasingly good deal although I prefer the double leather sole on the Selkirk.

I presume the lower prices are older stock - in many cases they only have limited sizes.

Having looked at the Selkirk in the flesh, it's a really well-made boot. I believe it's a true Veldtschoen construction, too. Would love to know CTB's opinion as he owns the Grasmere.

As mentioned on the ROY thread, sounds like it's not good news re Sargent. I dropped in at a lovely Yorkshire shop called Marshall & Son, which has been going since 1894. Mr Marshall Jr ( I would guess he's in his 80s?) told me he recently received a letter saying they're going into administration and won't be able to fulfil his order. I presume this is the second time, since their last crisis circa 2009. He'd been told they might well survive, but will have to move to a smaller factory and reduce production. Very sad news.

Marshall's incidentally had a very good stock of brogues - their own at £160, which looked better than Loake quality to me, Tricker's at £300 and quite a few other one-offs.

Bad news for AS, if that's true - Richard from the Shoe Healer rates their Handgrade range as one of the best, apparently above C&J etc.

The Selkirk and Kelso are veldtschoen, whereas the Grasmere is a normal Goodyear welt construction, which would make them (on paper, at least) slightly less water-resistant due to the way they're made.

Not handled a Selkirk/Kelso, but they seem to have a little more finesse than the Grasmere. As I said earlier, the Grasmere were like tanks when I started wearing them but the Zug is breaking in beautifully now. I'm half tempted to get them re-welted with a natural finish, just to contrast with the deep shade of the leather.

I saw an AS Culford recently on the AS blog that was MTO veldtschoenr:

http://alfred-sargent.blogspot.com/

veldt%2Bboot%2BMTO%2B002.JPG

I should have a different veldtschoen boot to share in the next couple of days, thanks to eBay...watch this space...

I can't find anywhere with the Selkirk in my size ( 11 if their sizing is similar to Trickers) but I did find the Kelso for £190 which looks an increasingly good deal although I prefer the double leather sole on the Selkirk.

http://www.tredders.com/AlfredSargent_Selkrk

Any good? :D

Bad news for AS, if that's true - Richard from the Shoe Healer rates their Handgrade range as one of the best, apparently above C&J etc.

I have to agree, the Alfred Sargent Hangrade collection is the business. I remember visiting a trunk show last year at Leffot NYC, and I have to say they have some of the best options around. I think the finishing and refinement are way above C&J, but the price reflects it. I also find he people that work for AS a bit more down to earth, a big contrast to the aristocrats at Edward Green.

When I can afford it, I think my next MTO boot will be an Alfred Sargent. Probably a better bang for the buck than EG or John Lobb.

The Selkirk and Kelso are veldtschoen, whereas the Grasmere is a normal Goodyear welt construction, which would make them (on paper, at least) slightly less water-resistant due to the way they're made.

Not handled a Selkirk/Kelso, but they seem to have a little more finesse than the Grasmere. As I said earlier, the Grasmere were like tanks when I started wearing them but the Zug is breaking in beautifully now. I'm half tempted to get them re-welted with a natural finish, just to contrast with the deep shade of the leather.

I saw an AS Culford recently on the AS blog that was MTO veldtschoenr:

http://alfred-sargent.blogspot.com/

veldt%2Bboot%2BMTO%2B002.JPG

I should have a different veldtschoen boot to share in the next couple of days, thanks to eBay...watch this space...

http://www.tredders.com/AlfredSargent_Selkrk

Any good? :D

Good information CTB many thanks. Had seen the Selkirk on that site but they're not the dark brown colour I like best so may go for the commando sole version. You seem to do brilliantly on ebay mate looking forward to seeing your new boots!

Good information CTB many thanks. Had seen the Selkirk on that site but they're not the dark brown colour I like best so may go for the commando sole version. You seem to do brilliantly on ebay mate looking forward to seeing your new boots!

Mate, the Kelso is just the name for the Selkirk with a commando sole - think the colour only looks light in that pic. You could always order and return if they don't suit, no?

Talking of the eBay find, these came today - won them for £56 a couple of days ago.

Lotus veldtschoen boots, doesn't seem to be too much online about them but from what I can gather, they used to make some of the standard issue field boots for the British Army back in the days of the Empire...

The seller said they were from the 1990s, but most of the stuff I've found relates to the 60s and earlier - can any of the shoe historians on here shed any further light on them?

Pre-clean pics, I'm gonna give them a good once over now, and then send them off to be resoled as I'm not a fan of the 'stick on' rubber sole...these boots smell of old attics... :D

dscf2247.jpg

dscf2249v.jpg

dscf2250.jpg

dscf2260y.jpg

dscf2264x.jpg

dscf2257s.jpg

dscf2259o.jpg

I love your new acquisitions, Ben. Exactly what I'm looking for in a boot. Although the inside and sole looks a little worn, they're in stunning condition. I love the shape - there seems to be a distinctive look for veldtschoen, with that slimmer toe and fake toe cap.

Cheers, Paul, I'm pretty taken with them myself.

One thing though: why would you make a veldtschoen boot, and use a leather sole - surely having a slippery sole on a heavily water-resistant boot is something of an oxymoron, no?

You know, that's an excellent point and one that supports getting the Kelso not the Selkirk !!

I just ordered a pair of semi-dress after weeks if not months of procrastination.

It was my birthday a week ago so f**k it.

Dress brown

standard last

standard heel

single leather midsole

vibram half sole

natural edge

tan leather lined

All antique eyes

Bakers have a couple of discounts going at the moment too.

Can't wait.

I'm ready to drop the price on my BH if anyone is interested in them.

Edit: Paul and CTB, repping english boots. Looking good!

I just ordered a pair of semi-dress after weeks if not months of procrastination.

It was my birthday a week ago so f**k it.

Dress brown

standard last

standard heel

single leather midsole

vibram half sole

natural edge

tan leather lined

All antique eyes

Bakers have a couple of discounts going at the moment too.

Can't wait.

I'm ready to drop the price on my BH if anyone is interested in them.

Edit: Paul and CTB, repping english boots. Looking good!

Sweet! Sounds like we got the exact same pair except mine won't be lined... Mine are currently on the line somewhere being made.

Happy birthday by the way...

I saw those the other day - interesting sole - but I'm not a fan of dealer-style boots so passed them by.

I only found the Lotus boots because I was trying to find out a little more about veldtschoen and Google suggested that I look on the 'Bay...

I saw those Lotus ads before when I was looking for Veldtschoen info, looks like they were about the main people the main people to do that type of boot so, again, great catch. I wonder if that distinct look comes from the military?

And happy belated birthday, fresco. Damn, wish I had an excuse for a new pair.