Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Those WWII impressions look great. What leather is it?

A little Sunday family reunion of the white's.

dsc_0103.jpg

Descriptions:

Back row: [semi dress brown. Vibram 700, brown edge], [Chrome excel brown, double leather sole, brown edge], [burgundy calf, Vibram 705, brown edge]

Front row: [Chrome excel black, single leather sole, block heels, natural edge], [Water buffalo sienna, Vibram 700, brown edge]

Denim,

question,

Do you like the close trim on your Whites?

i have my next pair ordered that way with a single leather sole and mini lug, hopping to make them look less wide, on my shorter and slim fits.

Yeah I do dig both configurations.

Can wait for pics of yours, davi. The mini lug sure seems versatile.

Thing is, its kinda hard to imagine SDs as pure dress footwear for me. They are just built like tanks..

I stopped by my local thrift shop this weekend and unexpectedly found a decent pair of shoes at a good price. Alden 946. $14.99 I definitely need new laces. Any suggestions?

Photos were taken before any polishing or cleanup.

aldenfront.jpg

aldenrear.jpg

aldenside.jpg

aldeninside.jpg

aldensoul.jpg

My new SDs are kind of too wide. I have to tie the laces really tight just not to make the foot move to much inside.

Is there a way to make these boots shrink? Wetting maybe?

Put some thick insoles in them or wear some thicker socks....wetting might work a little, but not much.

Hey denimjunky, did you get them in the same size as you always wear? Is it a variation due to different last or leather or something?

Hmm. I wear 9E as best white's SD size.

The one for sale is also 9EE and not so roomy at all.

But the latest 9EE just seems huge. I have been measuring and there is no measurable difference. But they are a lot roomier.

Maybe its the leather? Or maybe the increased inclination (the arch ease) make them seem less wide?

Or maybe there is simply more leather in the uppers..

The picture shows that at least in length there is no noticeable difference.

(The chrome excel is put a bit to the left)

dsc_0109_694886.jpg

I ended up with the RW Iron Rangers in amber. I'm wearing them to work(I work in electrical transmission stations) so they should get broken in pretty quick. I still want something on the more dressy side, none of my local stores had the Beckman in my size. I might end up going with the Alden, since these RWs can be worn for harder use.

Overall these are great, the fit is perfect. My foot measures 11.5 for the right, 11 on the left, with a width on the line between b/c. I went with the 11's in d width. I might add some insoles for arch support and cushioning, I'll see how I feel after 11 hours in them today.

My only complaint is they are a bit bulky for the slimmer jeans I just started (Momotaro x N&F) but I'm sure they'll be fine with whatever I get next. They look great with my work required flame retardant pants.

Any pictures?

I'm at work, but managed a couple pics with my iPhone. I can't resize with the photobucket app, so sorry if they are a bad size, let me know and I'll edit them later..

634db9b7.jpg

20e51c48.jpg

I had been wearing a pair of very comfortable Asolo hiking boots since the snow melted, now I'll use those only when hiking. I'll wear the RWs when I'm not climbing, or going into a 120kv circuit breaker (they are full of oil, and these are too nice to reek like oil.

I'm at work, but managed a couple pics with my iPhone. I can't resize with the photobucket app, so sorry if they are a bad size, let me know and I'll edit them later..

I had been wearing a pair of very comfortable Asolo hiking boots since the snow melted, now I'll use those only when hiking. I'll wear the RWs when I'm not climbing, or going into a 120kv circuit breaker (they are full of oil, and these are too nice to reek like oil.

Nice colour. My choice was between the amber and the black ones, eventually went for the blacks.

Treated them with mink oil prior use. Don't know if it was necessary. because the leather was already pretty subtle.

2itoinn.jpg

5fkk5y.jpg

I checked out the black, and they were really nice, but I have a bunch a serviceable black shoes, so I went with the amber to justify the purchase to my wife. When the time comes I'll be getting some good boots in black, I've really liked some of the White's in this thread.

I had my boots treated at the store before I left, and bought some oil/conditioner. I'm going to treat them often as they break in.

I checked out the black, and they were really nice, but I have a bunch a serviceable black shoes, so I went with the amber to justify the purchase to my wife. When the time comes I'll be getting some good boots in black, I've really liked some of the White's in this thread.

I had my boots treated at the store before I left, and bought some oil/conditioner. I'm going to treat them often as they break in.

If I had a wife I would be already dead

If I had a wife I would be already dead

Lol, mine has probably thought about it, but so far hasn't acted. She puts up with my expensive hobbies...$300 boots is nothing compared to trying to explain why a $750 pocket knife is a "good deal"!