Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Yo who's got an ultimate indy? Leather soul is getting more in 5 or 6 months and I'm curious as to how they age.

These are about 1-1.5 years old, and they've been worn pretty hard.

alden_indy_boots_worn_1.jpg

alden_indy_boots_worn_2.jpg

alden_indy_boots_worn_3.jpg

Notes:

* The crappy flat wax laces were replaced with regular boot laces.

* Some of the stitching on the apron started to come loose at around 6 months on one of the shoes and I had to hand sew it back in. Pain in the ass when you only have a regular needle and thread, but it was worth it.

* The heel on the right boot got yanked off about 2 months ago by a piece of machinery and I had to get them nailed back in by a cobbler.

* These have not been polished with anything, and I've only applied leather condition a few times.

After 2.5 weeks of everyday wear and the use of a Tacco insole, I am happy to say that my Rickson M43s are becoming pretty comfortable in every way. They don't have the glove like, nearly custom fit of a properly fitting and broken in pair of Whites, but they are sturdy, supportive, and hugging without pinching. They are also pretty fantastic looking, and are quickly becoming my favorite boots I have owned. I think that properly dubbed roughout boots is something this thread as a whole has been missing out on, and I can only give it my highest recommendations as something that looks great, is functional, and definitely becomes better with age. I hope to see somebody go to town with a pair of Whites.

^^^ that's good to hear... how "uncomfortable" were they to begin with?

I have a pair of Tricker's that are really pinching on the sides and a bit on the top, is it something that will sort itself out eventually? The retailer I bought the boots from said that usually with welted boots they can stretch out a great deal and luckily length isn't the problem only width.

Still can't edit...

You can feel all the perforations on those insoles, especially around the heel.

My iron rangers:

3736160257_0fddfa6405.jpg

3736159779_93c5d7f72e.jpg

^^^^^ Nice.

I have a pair of Tricker's that are really pinching on the sides and a bit on the top, is it something that will sort itself out eventually? The retailer I bought the boots from said that usually with welted boots they can stretch out a great deal and luckily length isn't the problem only width.

my stow feel comfortable since the first day. Never scratch or pinch at all. Actually i feel that the boot got smaller then when i begin with. What fitting did u bought and what width do you usually wear?

Tmadd- which tacco are you using? I've been looking for a nice, slim full length leather insole for my GTs. They hug my foot reasonably well, so I don't want to add too much volume, but I'd like a little more cushioning than they afford.

these guys?

Tacco%20Leather.jpg

I believe mine are slightly different, with a more structured arch. I just looked and the perforations are different, a single line on the outside and a triple line on the inside.

Well, they are not a boot that you would ever want to wear without an insole. Other than some rubbing at the ankles that went away quickly, I think the only comfort issue for me was adjusting from how I walked in my incredibly broken in (probably not stable enough to walk properly in) Indy's with heels that have been worn ridiculously uneven...so it wasn't really the boots that were uncomfortable, just the first few days of wearing them were.

I believe mine are slightly different, with a more structured arch. I just looked and the perforations are different, a single line on the outside and a triple line on the inside.

sorry to pester, but:

these, perhaps?

Tacco%20Deluxe.jpg

they look a bit thicker that the others, but if they work they work. I've picked up two pairs in the past two days that have been simply uncomfortable, so I'm getting antsy to find something that truly works.

sorry to pester, but:

these, perhaps?

Tacco%20Deluxe.jpg

they look a bit thicker that the others, but if they work they work. I've picked up two pairs in the past two days that have been simply uncomfortable, so I'm getting antsy to find something that truly works.

No worries man, and yes, those are them exactly. Deluxe is how I do it! Seriously though, these are nice because they are supportive but form to your feet overtime. Besides my Ricksons, I am using them in a pair of boat shoes I have that I only wear bare-footed and they do a great job in those.

CJ1.jpg

CJ2.jpg

Got 25% off on these C&J Conistons. Can't wait to break them in!

I found a store in the boondocks of London that gives good discounts on some big name English shoe brands:

Crockett & Jones, Trickers, Grenson, Church's Loakes etc.

Lemme know if you guys are looking for a UK shoe proxy!!

my stow feel comfortable since the first day. Never scratch or pinch at all. Actually i feel that the boot got smaller then when i begin with. What fitting did u bought and what width do you usually wear?

I got the 8.5 Tricker's Stow... I have a wide foot but the retailer I bought it from (online) assured me that welted footwear can stretch quite a bit and that there shouldn't be a problem.

I did try to get them stretched from just a small chain-run shoe repair store in the subway and the guy said it wasn't possible to stretch that much cause the leather was so stiff.... however I think he just didn't have experience with this type of shoe.

Well, Matt at leather soul said there's always the option for an Edward green mto, that would be 1500 us dollars to start then goes up from there haha, but Alden NYC and San Fran have chukkas in cigar right now.

Sadly, EG won't do a boot in shell... and yes, a pair of shoes would be in the range of $1200... at least my Shannon's were a couple of years ago... so maybe $1500 is right.

I'm surprised at how many people are recommending the Wolverines over the 405s. I agree that the Wolverines look better in black, but they haven't really "proven" themselves like the 405 has.

Well, I just couldn't imagine wearing the 405s in black... visually they just look wrong. Of course none of us are sure how the Wolverines will hold up, but they're using Horween's leather, so I guess the question is how well the rest of the boot is made. On the other hand, it seems like all the Red Wing boots have been holding up okay, and as far as I can tell they're not that fantastically well made.

Jolla,

Boots look amazing. What soles are those again? I remember seeing, but has been awhile.

Thanks.

Thanks Shangers. Those are honey colored Vibrams. I don't know the model number, but it has a heavy tread. They make the boot super-light and very comfortable.

Where did you get those put on?

Lightning magazine just released an issue that deals exclusively about boots maintenance. Definitely one to pick up. And Jolla your indy's look amazing!

f_61ntk1ycMQLm_6212d64.jpg