Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

CJ1.jpg

CJ2.jpg

Got 25% off on these C&J Conistons. Can't wait to break them in!

I found a store in the boondocks of London that gives good discounts on some big name English shoe brands:

Crockett & Jones, Trickers, Grenson, Church's Loakes etc.

Lemme know if you guys are looking for a UK shoe proxy!!

I do love a coniston! Great choice. Where did you get them? Was it the place near camberwell by any chance? The name escapes me...

Yes! It's the Men's Traditional Shoes store in Camberwell. That old guy is pretty cool. He gives great deals compared to the high street shops, but you gotta know your size and what you want as he doesn't stock anything expensive. I think he's the 3rd owner of the 150 yr old store history or something.

I pass down that area once in a while so anything needs anything I can help.

There was this article in Vice about that shop (if it's the same place)

http://www.viceland.com/int/v16n3/htdocs/brogue-bros-713.php?country=

From the interviewer:

"Have you noticed a renewed interest in brogues just recently? I’ve been wearing them for years but it’s only been in the last few that you see so many kids with brogues on."

He has to throw in that he has been wearing them for years, just to let this dude know he ain't a poser.

Also, does anybody else's Indy's show the "pebbling" effect on the ankle area, like jolla's? I have never seen that effect on an indy. Looks good, but I am wondering how the leather got that way.

Here are some pics of my 3 week old Alden/Context Tanker boots. Love these boots and wore them all over NYC while I was visiting there a couple weeks ago.

dsc2298.jpg

dsc2334.jpg

And my 10 month old Russell Art Carter Chukkas. Another great pair of boot. Picked these up at the shop actually as they are only about a 2 hour drive from me. Awesome experience seeing them stitching all these moccasins by hand in what is a little more then a large shed really. Outstanding quality but the fit just isn't quite as good as the Alden boots for me. I should probably try an actual custom made pair though as these were just out of stock.

dsc2328.jpg

dsc2330.jpg

dsc2332k.jpg

Great boots on this page!

Tankers look nice and I can see myself getting a pair of Russell Mocs sometime soon.

It's nice to see someone posting something a little different Zakurie, good stuff.

rnrswitch.... what more would you expect from Vice magazine?!

Here's a two year update on my Alden 405's...

3741845116_6f3ec86f30.jpg?v=0

I wear them about twice a week or more. I really love these boots.

I have more pics on my blog.

Here are some pics of my 3 week old Alden/Context Tanker boots. Love these boots and wore them all over NYC while I was visiting there a couple weeks ago.

dsc2298.jpg

dsc2334.jpg

And my 10 month old Russell Art Carter Chukkas. Another great pair of boot. Picked these up at the shop actually as they are only about a 2 hour drive from me. Awesome experience seeing them stitching all these moccasins by hand in what is a little more then a large shed really. Outstanding quality but the fit just isn't quite as good as the Alden boots for me. I should probably try an actual custom made pair though as these were just out of stock.

dsc2328.jpg

dsc2330.jpg

dsc2332k.jpg

Amazing boots...I've got some questions

regarding the size how do the Alden and the Rusells compare?

Where did you get the Aldens? Price?

Do you have the double vamp construction on the Russels...?

Regards and thanks in advance...

Thanks.

Yeah, the Tankers are from Context as they are an exclusive. I live in the area so I was able to check them out in person which was what really sold me on them.

The Russell's feel totally different. Much less structured due to the moccasin style construction. They run a little big but not as much as the Alden Barrie last. My Alden's are 11.5D and fit just about perfect. The Russell's are 12D and are a tiny bit bigger then I would like (tried the 11.5D though and those were too short). The Russell's are wider and a little higher volume over all. Not a bad fit though. These are a double vamp boot.

those context x aldens are dope. when i checked them out, they were already sold out of my size.

still want to get a pair of black 405s. deciding between the leather soul ultimates and the black shells... opinions? worth the extra $$ for the shell? that's the direction i'm leaning.

ps - did i mention that this is my favorite thread on this site?!?

i suggest if your just buying 1 pair of alden's then i suggest getting the shell cordo not in black but either in #8 or the cognac if you want a lighter tone

I could explain my reasons in painstaking detail, but especially for black, I think shell is well worth the money.

Clarification: Along with just liking how the shell boots look a fair amount better, and appreciating the functional differences between shell and calf, I think that especially with the black options, you stand to have a shoe that ages in a much nicer fashion if you go the shell route. Black shell ages elegantly, and I think most black calf I have seen that aged in a way I really liked was either on very sleek balmoral dress-type shoes, or on gnarly shitkicker type boots.

those context x aldens are dope. when i checked them out, they were already sold out of my size.

still want to get a pair of black 405s. deciding between the leather soul ultimates and the black shells... opinions? worth the extra $$ for the shell? that's the direction i'm leaning.

ps - did i mention that this is my favorite thread on this site?!?

i might have what you need . alden X context tanker boots for sale!!!!!!!!!

PM ME please want to sell!!!!!

DSCN2416.jpg

DSCN2417.jpg

I'm looking for something heavier and more durable than my PS Corso's for the worst of Chicago winter. Katahdin's seem like a solid choice, but I'm wondering whether there's anything else worth considering in that price range. Suggestions?

Thanks.

still want to get a pair of black 405s. deciding between the leather soul ultimates and the black shells... opinions? worth the extra $$ for the shell?

If you really want black, then I say get the black shell from LeatherSoul as I think they look right. The contrast stitching and the light colored welt on the Madison Ave. 405 variant I think look really bizarre. My favorite shell Indy boot is #8 though.

The Ultimates should be a lot nicer than the regular 405s. I've always been tempted to pick up a pair myself.

I'm weird but I'm not completely sold on shell yet. It wrinkles funny and while most people seem to love that I'm not sure I do. Especially in black. Now Whisky I like though. I like the Madison Ave. 405 in black, checked them out while I was visiting New York and thought they were a great boot, especially at $365. I'd say if you're looking for a pair of boots to beat up on a little then I would get them. If you want something dressier then the shell is probably the way to go. If I didn't already have my black Tanker boots I would have picked up the black Indy's.