Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

May I ask you what color is your belt when wearing #8.

I'm trying to make it a casual look but find hard to match them with any of my belts.

I got a nice belt at Barneys NY with a #8ish color and silver color buckle about 1.4 width that goes nicely.

Guest jbone45
Ain't this a fashion forum? I mean if this was a forum about construction workers around the world, this comment would make sense. Are you expecting something else other than "the bitch(es) who just puts shoes on to take cute pictures and post on a blog." on this thread?

I agree with Eddie. I enjoy looking at all these pictures. it helps me put together my wardrobe as well as finding out about different shoes I normally wouldn't know about. Besides, Fashion + Social Awareness sometimes just doesn't work. Next thing you're going complain about is how all these shoes are made with animal skins.

This is exactly where you're wrong. You're into fashion, I'm into my own style - big difference. You're like the majority of the people in this world you'll wear whatever you see someone else wearing, even if it looks like shit on you.

Tricker's Stow

This isn't a progression pic but how they look under different light (probably more accurate). I don't really like the color as is and would very much welcome a darker color.

The Tricker's Acorn color is initially a bit of a shock to the eyes. I have the Bourton in this color and I find that I like the color more and more. It grows on you, and gives you a distinctly different color in the rotation. People notice 'em, more than if just another "average" color.

+1. My acorn Stows get more compliments than any other pair; especially from chicks.

This is exactly where you're wrong. You're into fashion, I'm into my own style - big difference. You're like the majority of the people in this world you'll wear whatever you see someone else wearing, even if it looks like shit on you.

hey hold on, he's right. I'm gonna dress like him from now on.

edit: oh wait, he is looking for alden 405s and wears LVC. You go your own way man!

Perhaps you need to start a forum for your own style where you can write about your "style" to yourself. You could have threads like "What I wore today" and you can post pics of your boots and then rep yourself.

While Jbone45 may be using harsher than needed words, I would have to agree with much of what he says. Although, I don't think coleslawyum just wears whatever he wants to wear. Dude's got some style.

It is sad to say, but Eddies (demonitos) posts have become so abundant that I almost never comment on them anymore.

Also, eddie should not be able to say he is a collector who is passionate about what he is doing. There is nothing passionate about buying everything you lay your hands on. A passionate collector is somebody like Paul T or even airfrog, but demonito (eddie) doesn't really know what he likes as he buys everything he sees. It doesn't take much to buy stuff, but it does take a lot to find stuff that you can wear for long periods of time that suit you.

While Jbone45 may be using harsher than needed words, I would have to agree with much of what he says. Although, I don't think coleslawyum just wears whatever he wants to wear. Dude's got some style.

It is sad to say, but Eddies (demonitos) posts have become so abundant that I almost never comment on them anymore.

Also, eddie should not be able to say he is a collector who is passionate about what he is doing. There is nothing passionate about buying everything you lay your hands on. A passionate collector is somebody like Paul T or even airfrog, but demonito (eddie) doesn't really know what he likes as he buys everything he sees. It doesn't take much to buy stuff, but it does take a lot to find stuff that you can wear for long periods of time that suit you.

IMHO, Eddie buys what he likes. He just likes lots of stuff and has the wherewithal to afford it. I like a lot of things but I can't afford to buy them all so I have to be more selective about my procurements. Doesn't mean I'm more "passionate" of a collector than Eddie. Just means I can't afford to get everything I like and he can. He may consume more than most but he also knows what he's buying. It's not like he's some celebrity buying the latest trend and knowing nothing about the design or craftsmanship that goes into it.

Not an Eddie fan or anything, I just simply disagree with your statement about Eddie and your definitions of "collector" and "passionate collector."

If I do recall Eddie was a huge nike freak before this whole workwear stuff. I wonder if he cared much about the craftsmanship of the Nikes he bought.

Also, I am not saying you are a more passionate collector, just that it takes a bit more skill to discern between items when it is all you can buy. When choosing between a couple pairs of shoes. I make a choice, not cuz I am poor, but because I don't "need" a ton of shoes. Eddie just says, "I'll take them." I wouldn't consider myself a "collector" of clothes. I don't "collect" clothes, I wear them, but of people that do collect them, I would say some are passionate, such as Paul T, who does it somewhat for the nostalgia and history, but eddie just buys stuff. That's easy in my opinion.

If I do recall Eddie was a huge nike freak before this whole workwear stuff. I wonder if he cared much about the craftsmanship of the Nikes he bought.

Also, I am not saying you are a more passionate collector, just that it takes a bit more skill to discern between items when it is all you can buy. When choosing between a couple pairs of shoes. I make a choice, not cuz I am poor, but because I don't "need" a ton of shoes. Eddie just says, "I'll take them." I wouldn't consider myself a "collector" of clothes. I don't "collect" clothes, I wear them, but of people that do collect them, I would say some are passionate, such as Paul T, who does it somewhat for the nostalgia and history, but eddie just buys stuff. That's easy in my opinion.

I don't keep track of what Eddie collects so I didn't know that he was a Nike freak in the past. You and I both know that sneaker heads don't collect kicks for their quality craftsmanship and my statement was towards american workwear so I don't really understand what your point was.

I believe that regardless on how much you consume, as long as you truly appreciate what you are consuming, you are a collector. Let's drop the price point a little and see if you get my drift. A guy likes to collect odd shaped Cheetos cheese puffs and buys a bag every time he sees one. He's bought a lot of bags of Cheetos since they're cheap and easy to procure. No real skill involved but he has a wonderful (though strange) collection of weird shaped cheese puffs. In my book he's a collector.

I wonder if you're just getting hung up on the fact that Eddie can afford to buy workwear items like my cheese puff guy buys Cheetos? I also think you're forgetting that Eddie is also quite knowledgeable about what he collects. More so than many on this board. Doesn't the acquisition of knowledge fall in your category of "skill?" I also don't understand why you think that collecting has to be hard. The nature of collecting is such that it gets easier with more money you have. Collectors of multi-million dollar works of art aren't scouring the globe themselves for their grails. They have people to do it for them. And guess what? All the world consisders them art collectors.

If nothing that I said above makes sense to you then I think we should just agree to disagree in that we have different expectations on how a collector should go about collecting whatever it is he/she collects.

Everyone is different and we are all into this stuff (denim, boots, workwear) for our own reasons. There's no need too criticize or think lowly of the next guy just because his ways of enjoying this "hobby" are different from your ways. He's not about just "buying stuff"- he loves the stuff he buys and if buying the stuff he likes makes him happy, how can you hate on that? And since Edmonito is in the construction business, it's easy to see why he appreciates workwear. And not just any workwear, he is pretty particular about his clothes too so I wouldn't say he doesn't know what he likes. He's spent a lot of time researching it and has a style that he is comfortable/happiest with and it suits him. When it comes down to it, he is probably the most misunderstood contributor in superdenim- the dude is knowledgable and super helpful to anyone who asks but people overlook that and just hate on him for his passion of collecting.

I don't keep track of what Eddie collects so I didn't know that he was a Nike freak in the past. You and I both know that sneaker heads don't collect kicks for their quality craftsmanship and my statement was towards american workwear so I don't really understand what your point was.

I believe that regardless on how much you consume, as long as you truly appreciate what you are consuming, you are a collector. Let's drop the price point a little and see if you get my drift. A guy likes to collect odd shaped Cheetos cheese puffs and buys a bag every time he sees one. He's bought a lot of bags of Cheetos since they're cheap and easy to procure. No real skill involved but he has a wonderful (though strange) collection of weird shaped cheese puffs. In my book he's a collector.

I wonder if you're just getting hung up on the fact that Eddie can afford to buy workwear items like my cheese puff guy buys Cheetos? I also think you're forgetting that Eddie is also quite knowledgeable about what he collects. More so than many on this board. Doesn't the acquisition of knowledge fall in your category of "skill?" I also don't understand why you think that collecting has to be hard. The nature of collecting is such that it gets easier with more money you have. Collectors of multi-million dollar works of art aren't scouring the globe themselves for their grails. They have people to do it for them. And guess what? All the world consisders them art collectors.

If nothing that I said above makes sense to you then I think we should just agree to disagree in that we have different expectations on how a collector should go about collecting whatever it is he/she collects.

I never said edmond wasn't a collector. He is just not a "passionate" collector. If by passionate one means he likes to hoard things, then he is certainly passionate. And, no I do not think that somebody who pays somebody to find and buy art for them is a "passionate" collector.

Also, I am not hung up on the fact that edmond can afford these things. Amlai, Paul T, and yes, I too, could afford most of the crap edmond buys, but I just don't see the purpose of letting shit sit in a closet.

And as a person who has worked construction, I know that being in the "construction business" and being a construction worker can be two very different jobs.

come on guys stop talking about me i aint worth it lets stick to aldens!

I agree. Sorry again.

What's wrong with having one pair that you wear everyday and become a part of you? I wear the same boots around 5 days a week, and I'll wear them until they fall apart. As opposed to having 6 pairs that don't even get worn and they all look brand new? This just completely defeats the point. I guess I'm old fashioned, but having 6 pairs of the same shoes seems a little excessive. Most people on this thread can't even get one pair to "look better with age."

Well, first I would say that you should not be wearing the same shoe every day. For longevity of the shoes, you should be rotating at least two if not three shoes to let the shoes dry out. Second, despite the large number of shoes that I do have, I would say that I have managed to wear more than a few of my shoes to the point where they need refurbishing, most recently of which are my #8 Indy boots. My cigar shell plaza last captoe bluchers are pretty near the point where they need to go back for refurbishing as well. I honestly never want to wear my shoes out until they fall apart. I believe in taking good care of my shoes. I want them to last a lifetime. Most of my shoes, I want them to look as almost as good 10 years from now as they do today. I honestly think that with good maintenance over the years they will eventually have a better patina than if just beat to hell. I use shoe trees, buff my shoes between wearings, and polish my shoes regularly. Plus like people around here already know, good shoes are not a small investment. Lastly, if people haven't noticed, the quality of shoes and their materials is generally on a downward slope. Any shoes I have now will most likely be better quality than shoes I can acquire later. So, I'm going to try to make them last. Maybe it's not the aesthetic that people go for here, but that's what I'm going for.

May I ask you what color is your belt when wearing #8.

I actually wear an Alden #8 shell belt. Not that casual I admit, but it works for how I dress. (Nowhere nearly as workwear as most people here.)

Amlai, Paul T, and yes, I too, could afford most of the crap edmond buys, but I just don't see the purpose of letting shit sit in a closet.

I probably really couldn't afford everything Edmond buys, but I for one appreciate Edmond's presence. He has amassed quite a bit of knowledge over the years and has a lot to offer the board. And so what if he wants to be a big consumer... it is what makes the world go round. Seriously, I also applaud him for not getting into all these flame wars and insults that you guys are throwing around. If there's any reason to not like this board (and why some people I know don't frequent SuFu anymore), it's because of all this crap that shows up... honestly it's immature. And hopefully this is the only time I'm ever going to comment on this.

Now back to the shoes.

Good to know that consumerism is what makes the world go round.

what are those on top? very nice..BTW I got the AF79's today. Fit like a glove. Perfect compromise between the Plaza and Barrie. Should go well with winter and fall weight suits.

Ann D. F/W 2003 “Twilight” collection. Buffalo leather combats:

AnnDBoots03.jpg

AnnDBoots02.jpg

AnnDBoots01.jpg

Congrats on the AF79. Post pics pls.

I probably really couldn't afford everything Edmond buys, but I for one appreciate Edmond's presence. He has amassed quite a bit of knowledge over the years and has a lot to offer the board. And so what if he wants to be a big consumer... it is what makes the world go round. Seriously, I also applaud him for not getting into all these flame wars and insults that you guys are throwing around. If there's any reason to not like this board (and why some people I know don't frequent SuFu anymore), it's because of all this crap that shows up... honestly it's immature. And hopefully this is the only time I'm ever going to comment on this.

Now back to the shoes.

Well said! I am happy that Edmond buys all the boots that he does, its not like these are vintage articles that exist in limited quantities that we are fighting over. I want boots of this caliber being made for the entirety of my natural life, so the bigger the market for them, the better. Also, this thread a pretty amazing thing if you think about it; there is a ridiculous amount of knowledge and information about these types of boots and shoes either in, or directly attached to this thread, and I am excited about useful contributions of any kind.

I can't badmouth people who make purchasing decisions based on, or at least informed by this thread, because before I first read this thread almost three years ago, I knew nothing about fine footwear of anykind, had never worn workboots nor owned a pair of goodyear welted shoes. Pictures, discussion, and recommendations lead me to purchase my first real pair of boots, my 405s. Since then I have purchased 5 or 6 pairs of serious boots and shoes, but none of them have really worked for me the way my 405s have and they have been sold or are for sale in the Supermarket as I type. I have found myself to almost be the total opposite of Edmond in terms of acquisition of boots, but I am glad to have seen and read about all the boots he has and wouldn't mind snagging a few pairs he has eventually.

That said, a solitary pair of nearly 3 year old 405s isn't enough to last me very long considering my current routine that involves a couple miles of walking on pavement each day so I have been scouring LA over the past few weeks trying to find a boot that I liked in my size. I tried all of the usual suspects, but no-one was coming close to the 7 or 7.5 that I would need. Last Saturday, I was checking out Bill's new venture, Craft (they carry Alden, sizes 8 and up by the way) when I got to see a pair of boots I have been interested in for awhile in real life for the first time. The head of Sugar Cane and the Director of Buzz Rickson popped in at Craft and the gentleman from Buzz Rickson was wearing a well-worn pair of Rickson M43s. They were better than I had imagined and darker than I thought they would be from pictures. Also, his pair had an autograph on the toe, and when we asked who it was from, he said "Mister Freedom" and upon closer inspection, it was indeed the handiwork of Christophe. After they left, I told Bill I was pretty hooked on the boots and that they would probably eventually have to order me a pair. Bill informed me that Christophe might have a pair in 7.5 at his shop. A couple days later, I made it to Mister Freedom, and sure enough, one pair in 7.5! They fit well, and with the addition of some insoles for arch support (they are accurate reissues of service shoes, intended for use with insoles) they are an excellent fit for me. I should have taken before pictures, but when I got them home I realized that period-correct treatment was dubbing, so I got out my snow-seal and went to work. Here are some pictures of the two day-worn results:

DSCN1248.jpg

DSCN1258.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

Excellent choice for your new boots, but are you really gonna sell your 405s?personally I think you shouldn't.

Nah...I couldn't sell them for a multitude of reasons, not to mention that I wouldn't get anything for them. They just aren't in constant rotation and will get to go to Eddies in Sherman Oaks to get some love and new heels!

Sorry I'm not the bitch who just puts shoes on to take cute pictures and post on a blog. I bet you have never done real work in your entire life. You could shoe an entire country in Africa with all those boots you greedy fuck. Neg rep me - I don't care, it's the truth.

I still dont understand why the fuck you post on here. You seem to hate everything about this forum, and the majority of people who post on it.

I fucking dread the day that I devote as much time as you do talking to people I hate and giving them opinions they havn't asked for. I've got this image of you as clint eastwood in Gran Torino, pissed off at some asian guys who have come and invaded your sense of being a true hard working american. bahaha

tmadd;

I like those service shoes... What do they run? Also are the toes tight? It looks like they really slant forward on those and I was wondering if they pinched the tops of your toes?

They look great!

Oh man gran torino was the worst movie. Soooo overstated.

tmadd: Eddies shoe repair service will clean up those 405s well. I remember when I asked him for leather soles on them and he looked at my like, "Are you kidding?" He told me these shoes are meant for comfort. I told him I would give up a little comfort for style. The 405s ended up turning out great.

Thanks man. I have plenty of toe room with insoles in but then again I have short toes and low volume feet so that is never a problem for me in boots that otherwise fit. Not sure what they would go for normally, as Christophe just had one pair and he doesn't normally stock them but he was charging 329 for them which correlates pretty closely to the price in yen on the rickson site. I feel like that was a pretty good deal.

... I believe in taking good care of my shoes. I want them to last a lifetime. Most of my shoes, I want them to look as almost as good 10 years from now as they do today. I honestly think that with good maintenance over the years they will eventually have a better patina than if just beat to hell. I use shoe trees, buff my shoes between wearings, and polish my shoes regularly. Plus like people around here already know, good shoes are not a small investment. Lastly, if people haven't noticed, the quality of shoes and their materials is generally on a downward slope. Any shoes I have now will most likely be better quality than shoes I can acquire later. So, I'm going to try to make them last. Maybe it's not the aesthetic that people go for here, but that's what I'm going for.

Amlai, your posts are always excellent, but this passage pretty much sums up why I keep coming back here. I, too, have learned a lot and get to see such a wide range of boots and footwear that I'd never see otherwise. And, I share this attitude about quality and the long-term view. Very nice summation.

When I get around to it, I'll snap photos of my new suede paraboot shoes!

:cool: