Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

which should i get? what do you think looks better & why? they seem to be pretty much alike. i'm leaning toward alden's but they seem to be so hard to find online or in store. anyone know of a so cal store that carry's them? and price for alden indy's?

Redwings or Alden's??????

Redwings:

5392006331211555643969_L.jpg

Alden Indy's

Boots8-2.jpg

which should i get? what do you think looks better & why? they seem to be pretty much alike. i'm leaning toward alden's but they seem to be so hard to find online or in store. anyone know of a so cal store that carry's them? and price for alden indy's?

Redwings or Alden's??????

Redwings:

5392006331211555643969_L.jpg

Alden Indy's

Boots8-2.jpg

I have done something radical!

I took my (nearly) brand new 8130's to a cusotm boot maker to have them resoled with an all leather sole!

I'm praying they will be the perfect Redwing/Indy hybrid!! I pick them up from the cobbler on tuesday....Will post pics.

And looking really fine. There's some controversy about either these boots or the seller over at AAAF. Frankly, I don't know about that, nor care. BUT, these are really, really fine looking boots, made by John Lobb in 1922. These are truly what the title of this thread meant!!!!

The e-prey site is: http://cgi.ebay.com/Priceless-Circa-1922-John-Lobb-Bespoke-Boots-and-Book_W0QQitemZ230048895603QQihZ013QQcategoryZ63850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lots of details about John Lobb shoes in the listing. Fun reading. Ignore the spat.

I laughed my ass off reading the Q and A's.

so i went over to the alden indy forum and found out that alden indy's are very slippery when walking on wet concrete or in snow on the sidewalk. it seemed like everyone had a slip and fall story.

So i was thinking does the alden shoe store in S.F. sell versions with a rubber sole?

If not i think im might go with these J Crew's.

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod79359501&catId=cat106010

79359_BR6402.jpg

All Indys have a rubberish sole (I don't know exactly what it is, but it feels like rubber). I haven't had any problems walking on wet concrete with mine. Haven't been fortunate enough to wear them in the snow though. My only problem with these boots is that the damn shoe laces blow out about once every 3 weeks. I am looking into using leather wax treated laces. Them shits never break.

I was at a party last night and some kid had on a beat up pair of shoes that I really wanted to learn more about, but I wasn't in any state to really ask..

they looked like docksiders, but less preppy, less boat-shoes like.

anyone know what i'm talking about?

something like this but less preppy

1396-316921-d.jpg

so i went over to the alden indy forum...

There's an Alden Indy FORUM???? Yer kiddin...

Wher dat?

so i went over to the alden indy forum and found out that alden indy's are very slippery when walking on wet concrete or in snow on the sidewalk. it seemed like everyone had a slip and fall story.

For flat wet surfaces, the best soles that I have are leather shoes resurfaced with Topy.

I've had slips with every other type of sole: vibram, leather, even adidas superstars.

so there is a forum dedicated to Indiana Jones clothing he wore in Raiders of the lost arch. people there post pics of their Indiana Jones outfits and compare to each other. Its basically like superdenim but the people their are addicted/obsessed with Indiana Jone's clothing, his leather jacket, his boots, his fedora ect that he wore in raiders of the lost arch....

Since Alden Indy's are the shoes Indiana wore in the film they talk and compaire stories about them. so far i got from them that Alden Indy's come in "Orange" and "Brown" and the older ones were a reddish color no longer made. Also their is leakage over time with the Indy's. People ussually get them wet by submerging them in the bath tub with the indy's on to get them to break in with the fit. They also polish them and shit like that.

Pretty interesting forum, learned a lot bout the indy's there.

Then they compare stories.

Club Obi-Wan (check under the "General Gear" thread for the Alden Indy threads.)

http://www.indygear.com/cow/index.php

They look really unique now, I like them a lot. How much did it cost you to get them completely resoled??

For a complete resole it cost $150. The cobbler explained that the nature of the red wing welt made it alittle more complicated than on some other boots. The whole process was really cool though. I got to pick out my sole leather from a sheet of raw leather six feet long! Can't wait to break them in

I actually liked it the other way. But I guess now sam113 can't accuse you of raiding his closet.

I'm torn between this and the 1905 Red Wing. They're pretty much the same except for the color.

Black or brown?!

thanks everybody for your responses....anybody in LA who wants the name of a killer cobbler/custome shoe maker, let know! I fully endorse these guys now. And, they even gave me a free tub of melatinin cream!

Bill, Those really are fantastic. I strongly suggest you send your photo to the corporate Red Wings office. (They have a 'contact us' on their web page, and they ARE responsive.) They need to see just how much of a market there really is for properly soled Red Wings. And when will they make the Centennial models/version available in the US? grrr.

I got these because I wanted a pair of decent dress boots and the leather on them seemed really nice n buttery .. " italian leather " or deerskin I suppose

Just wanted something I could rock selvage denim and a cashmere blazer with on occasion .. I don't dress up too often so didn't need anything heavy duty and I have normal vibram soled boots n gore-tex for that ...

made in Italy by Jenny-B - never heard of them ... anyoen familar ?

just posting cause no other thread I know of to do so in lol ..

Since the leather seems top notch I HOPE they will age nicely .. ? Also how do you guys think they would look with a toecap installed ?

3y5zecj.jpg

How's everyone doing with their brando lace boots? Unfortunatly, i'm gonna have to send mine back to frye. I've only had them about a month now, and a couple weeks ago the left boot started to click when shifting my weight around. I thought they might just need more wearing, until the right boot started doing it too. The people at frye said it's a problem with the shank, and that I've got a year to send them in for repair or replacement. Al least frye takes good care of their customers. I'll probably live with the clicking for a while and wait till the holidays are done with to send them in; hopefully they'll have restocked by then.

Bill, Those really are fantastic. I strongly suggest you send your photo to the corporate Red Wings office. (They have a 'contact us' on their web page, and they ARE responsive.) They need to see just how much of a market there really is for properly soled Red Wings. And when will they make the Centennial models/version available in the US? grrr.

I took your advice and emailed them with a few photos this morning! Any response from them will be fowarded along to you guys for sure.

And yes, they do lose alittle cushion when you take off the crepe sole. I compensated with a thin gel insole...good as new! (well, better....)