Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thanks everyone. I don't believe they make this exact model anymore, although as snugglepony pointed out, the arkansas is pretty close.

When I bought these, a friend of mine looked at them and said to me that the Vibram soles on these would last me forever. (They have that trademark yellow octogon-ish emblem). I didn't think much of it, but now I see what he was talking about. They still have almost all of the tread (never been resoled). Most of the wear on the sole you can see at the top edge that is now rounded off. It was initially fairly squared like the inside edges.

Those boots are nice. As a side note I know that Vibram sole well, it is basically their heaviest sole they make. And it does wear out but only with hard wear. I blew through a set of those soles on some hanwag full mountain boots I used for a few seasons treeplanting. So it takes a tonne of abuse but you can wear those soles out fatser then 10 years.

Bottom line Awesome boots!

Yeah its just i am finding it a bit hard to try a pair on in sydney, and in shoes i usually take a gamble cause i don't really care that much. But like you guys have said these boots are going to last and actually do cost a fair bit of money and will be my first pair of boots apart from my steel caps for work. I am thinking i will just buy an ebay pair to suss things out the sizing and then i will know what to buy in future. Does anyone who have a us10 wear euro 44's normally? I don't know why but i find euro sizing the most reliable.

thankyou

i just got a couple interesting things in the mail today:

brown suede alden chukkas from eBay

and an alden shell cordovan coin case from the shoemart to replace the cheap $10 leather tray-style one i destroyed

Yo DDML, could you post some pics of that coin case? I have been thinking about buying one. I wish they had some lighter leather though.

I sized down in my 8130's from a 10.5 sneaker size to a 9D boot. I really recommend you find a red wing store and try them on first. Finding the right size and the right width will make all the difference on a boot that you want to be able to wear for the next five years.

I found a distinct comfort difference between the 9E's and the 9D's...only one width size apart, but all the difference in the world in terms of fit!

Same deal for me, Bill- normally a 9 or a 9.5, and I went down to an 8.5 E in the 8130. My local Redwing dealer new that this model and the whole Irish Setter line fits are goofy. Going from D to E made a huge difference. I probably would wear 8.5 sneaks if my feet weren't so wide.

Great!

my 2902 in size 12 EE are around 34/13.5" (Im normaly a 12 in most sneakers, but these are atleast a half size to big. I even posted a thread about this..hah). Not the same model but I guess they are compareble. Or does anyone know if there are difference in sizing between different models?

And looking really fine. There's some controversy about either these boots or the seller over at AAAF. Frankly, I don't know about that, nor care. BUT, these are really, really fine looking boots, made by John Lobb in 1922. These are truly what the title of this thread meant!!!!

[ATTACH]612[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]613[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]615[/ATTACH]

The e-prey site is: http://cgi.ebay.com/Priceless-Circa-1922-John-Lobb-Bespoke-Boots-and-Book_W0QQitemZ230048895603QQihZ013QQcategoryZ63850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lots of details about John Lobb shoes in the listing. Fun reading. Ignore the spat.

I like this, from his auction listing:

"Do not expect a bargain here and do not insult me by making ridiculous off-Ebay offers to buy them. Such people will be blocked from bidding (some already have been!) on my auctions. My selling price reflects what an item of this rarity is worth. Further, it insures that it will not fall into the hands of riffraff, such as those on style forums."

hahaha!

muahh haa the guy sellng the Lobb 1922 bespoke boots replied to the last question someone wrote him he might just blow them up and tape it and show it to everyone on the forums to prove he doesn't care for the money ..

wuddda nut hee

check this out from the LOBB auction:

This message was sent while the listing was active. amerikajinda is a potential buyer.

s.gif"I hope your son dies in Iraq by a roadside bomb."

This is the type of nonsense sellers have to put up with. I got this in my Ebay mail system this morning. How is it that amerikajinda( 4)

can be allowed to continue to trade on Ebay? This guy is registered in VA, home of many of our proud military, and he hates a Marine this much that he would wish him dead by a roadside bomb? Please join me in asking that Ebay permanently bar this person from ever trading on Ebay again. To all you Marines that buy from me, pass this on to your fellow Marines and demand that this guy be punished. Semper Fi!

check this out from the LOBB auction:
Originally Posted by eBay terror

This message was sent while the listing was active. amerikajinda is a potential buyer.

"I hope your son dies in Iraq by a roadside bomb."

This is the type of nonsense sellers have to put up with. I got this in my Ebay mail system this morning. How is it that amerikajinda( 4)

can be allowed to continue to trade on Ebay? This guy is registered in VA, home of many of our proud military, and he hates a Marine this much that he would wish him dead by a roadside bomb? Please join me in asking that Ebay permanently bar this person from ever trading on Ebay again. To all you Marines that buy from me, pass this on to your fellow Marines and demand that this guy be punished. Semper Fi!

I don't actually know should I laugh or cry... Should they send some marines to take care of that 'amerikajinda'? :)