Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thanks for the pics. You can still get a good feeling for the proportion and general lines of the boots and I think they look great. How do they feel? Initial impression on quality and construction? Value?

(stupid mail lady brought me 3 bills and no shoes, I'm pouting)

Proportion... well these are size 13s so its about par for the course on boats my size.

Quality... They seem well constructed, the leather is thinner than my belted harness fryes and has a pre-broken-in quality and feels pebbly to the touch. Certainly something I'll love and wear for a long time.

Here are some closeups

IMAGE_00047.jpg

IMAGE_00046.jpg

IMAGE_00045.jpg

-Trapped

the leather reminds me of my roper's, that pebbly feel, and they wear in great (though mine are probably forever banished into the back of my closet, along with all the rest of my non-alden shoes)

great looking boot though, i'm still curious about Frye's longterm quality, for my sake as well (as compared to, oh say, the indy boots, etc..)

nice. cmf and family man with shell cordos. please post pics.

nice brandos, DC!

rnrswitch, are you getting the brando engineers?

I am getting the same babies that trappedinDC got... I can't wait. My panties are soaked.

Wait 'til you put them on. You'll go completely priapic.

It's a great boot. But be warned: you're gonna have to nearly unlace them completely to get them off. Snug suckers, they are.

Quality-wise, Frye is excellent. They wear well, are comfortable, durable, and only look better with age. I've always had Fryes, and now that they've stepped up their game style-wise, I'll have more.

And they're excellent conversation starters. I once sat opposite a woman on a NJ Transit train out of Penn Station. She was wearing Fryes. They had some age and wear on them, but she had maintained them very very well. They were striking. Totally rock star, and I told her so. We hooked up. There is no better endorsement.

It's a great boot. But be warned: you're gonna have to nearly unlace them completely to get them off. Snug suckers, they are.

Quality-wise, Frye is excellent. They wear well, are comfortable, durable, and only look better with age. I've always had Fryes, and now that they've stepped up their game style-wise, I'll have more.

And they're excellent conversation starters. I once sat opposite a woman on a NJ Transit train out of Penn Station. She was wearing Fryes. They had some age and wear on them, but she had maintained them very very well. They were striking. Totally rock star, and I told her so. We hooked up. There is no better endorsement.

I've had my belted harnesses for about a year, and yes, they wear excellently. As for the laces... well, I laced them how I saw them displayed on the frye site, but I don't think that will be long term. I may have to go chris-cross on the lacing, like I do my tims, because YES THEY ARE A B*TCH TO GET OFF!

Comments on Frye's, my belted harnesses and my 3 wash RRDS had a 300lb chick wanting to ride me hard and put me away wet. Ahh the pleasures of Casual Fridays in the Federal Government.

thanks dj flame,

i like that british-style. a little bit sleeker, somewhat more elegant.

i also love good-old american shit-kickers.

what are the country brogues that tricker's are so famous for?

Here's a page somebody posted earlier with Tricker's country boots. The finishing is superb. My father has a pair, I think it's "Burford" and I've been drooling on them time to time. They go really well with jeans or cargo pants also...

Went to the japanese magazine store today and saw a magazine "free and easy" (i think) and the issue was "Tough Style guide". It focused on clothing for tough guys, such as the boots that we love such as trickers and redwing. And the traditional workwear that's associated with them, i.e. plaid shirts, overalls, depression era type jackets, fisherman's clothing, mechanic clothing, etc...pretty interesting.

that's a beautiful story. i imagine you two made love wearing your fryes. :P

Went to the japanese magazine store today and saw a magazine "free and easy" (i think) and the issue was "Tough Style guide". It focused on clothing for tough guys, such as the boots that we love such as trickers and redwing. And the traditional workwear that's associated with them, i.e. plaid shirts, overalls, depression era type jackets, fisherman's clothing, mechanic clothing, etc...pretty interesting.

DD, i saw the same magazine. good stuff, did you see the alden shell cordo chukkas? i thought i saw those in there.

moykky, thanks for the link. those country boots look dope.

Here's a pair of Frye's I got in 1996 and have worn the hell out of over the past ten years.

250554464_8d30e0e982.jpg

250554478_9bd012057c.jpg

I have had them re-heeled and re-soled more than once. Love these boots though they've seen better days. Be sure and get the oil resistant sole and not the tread sole. Just got a pair of Alden indyboots and I believe they're the best boots I've ever had. People have been talking about the change in the leather color of the Alden's, but I can't see much of a difference.

I'm really intriqued by White's semi dress boot:

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/display-boot.php?request=boot&p_id=49

The heel has that curve to it that you usually only see in vintage boots. They're pricey, but still much cheaper than the 100,000 yen brakemen boot repro's I saw in Tokyo.

Ebay has a plethora of nice vintage fryes for sale every once in a while. I should be getting my brando lace boots tomorrow. I am already shaking from excitement. I am pretty sure my alden will still be the old trust worthy though. I couldn't see how the quality of the frye could surpass these aldens. I have been wearing my aldens for about a month and a half straight and they could use a bit of rest.