Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

yeah... ive seen other shoes that i thought were cordovan before... but when i saw these i knew. and then in my size.... fuck...

only problem is the leather lining is starting to fall apart. big tears. id only give these another 6 months... maybe a little more if i shoe goo the lining back to the shell.

don't shoe goo 'em. take em to a shoe repair shop. you are essentially dealing with $500 dollar shoes, cheap. treat em with respect. since it is handmade, it should be very repairable by a cobbler.

yeah... i forget that... i think im dealing with 3$ shoes. i also asked about this at the steez and got some discouraging replys... to the effect that i couldnt be repaired....

we will see.

Damn nice pair of shoes cheap. Keep in mind that Brooks Brothers sells their shell penny loafers unlined and they are actually prefered by some over the lined version sold by Alden. I prefer unlined loafers to lined ones. If you like the lining then try to get it fixed. Is the liner free floating or glued in? Might make a difference at to getting it fixed. If they can't fix it then just let it fall apart or tear it out. The shoe will loose a bit of structure but should be perfectly wearable.

Damn nice pair of shoes cheap. Keep in mind that Brooks Brothers sells their shell penny loafers unlined and they are actually prefered by some over the lined version sold by Alden. I prefer unlined loafers to lined ones. If you like the lining then try to get it fixed. Is the liner free floating or glued in? Might make a difference at to getting it fixed. If they can't fix it then just let it fall apart or tear it out. The shoe will loose a bit of structure but should be perfectly wearable.

hmm... it is free floating, not glued. id perfer it, but i dont know if i want to spend alot to repair it. the stitching would be really time consuming to replicate... each stitch is only about 3mm long.

im just gonna wear them till they fall apart, then decide.

From what I remember, a sock liner (free floating) can be repaired. They actually take the whole shoe apart and rebuild it with a new liner. This is quite a job and not cheap, but it can be done. It's the liners that are glued in (which most are) that are the problem, nothing you can really do about them.

It's probably not worth it to replace it for you. Just wear them until you don't like them anymore and then put them on e-bay. Anything shell will sell for at least a few bucks, no matter how beaten down it is.

From what I remember, a sock liner (free floating) can be repaired. They actually take the whole shoe apart and rebuild it with a new liner. This is quite a job and not cheap, but it can be done. It's the liners that are glued in (which most are) that are the problem, nothing you can really do about them.

It's probably not worth it to replace it for you. Just wear them until you don't like them anymore and then put them on e-bay. Anything shell will sell for at least a few bucks, no matter how beaten down it is.

thanks... that sounds like a good plan. i got my moneys worth as soon as i walked out the door...

hey guys, my indys in the origonal color are lookign great after a week or ware. does anyoen have pics of cordivan indys? i know they only were made with a leather sole, but i want to see how they compare to the indys like miz and DDML have.

i love my indys but now i feel liek i need cordvan

Are these bad?...(no i'm not the super hyped up SB-ZOMG-LIMITED EDITION kind of person) I just wear what i like

I've got those casual leather shoes but they're a pain to wear. The thin ankle walls kinda cut into my ankles...guess its coz i try to run all the time

^^Those high cut boots with crazy stitching look pretty cool anyway

superstaroldzo1.jpg

pretty informative thread on gokey's, indys, and some tricker info.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59248

Hmm... If you read the thread you get the picture that Gokeys and Russells are good quality shoes and Aldens and Trickers are mass production :)

Russell Moccassin has had quality issues for sometime and Gokey factory was stopped in early 90's, Orvis bought them and now makes "Gokey's" -shoes...mass production.

Hmm... If you read the thread you get the picture that Gokeys and Russells are good quality shoes and Aldens and Trickers are mass production :)

Russell Moccassin has had quality issues for sometime and Gokey factory was stopped in early 90's, Orvis bought them and now makes "Gokey's" -shoes...mass production.

Have to disagree on your interpretation of the thread. I came away from it thinking that the Goakeys/Russells were outdoor boots capable of taking a beating and the Aldens were more shoes dressed up to look like boots and not capable of the same things. I'm not sure that's the case but I see their point.

And what are these quality issues from Russell that you've heard of? I've read everything I can find on them and haven't heard a bad word yet. Really interested to know if I missed something.

Have to disagree on your interpretation of the thread. I came away from it thinking that the Goakeys/Russells were outdoor boots capable of taking a beating and the Aldens were more shoes dressed up to look like boots and not capable of the same things. I'm not sure that's the case but I see their point.

And what are these quality issues from Russell that you've heard of? I've read everything I can find on them and haven't heard a bad word yet. Really interested to know if I missed something.

Actually, my eye only caught this one dudes messages who was comparing aldens and trickers to gokeys and russells. Thats like comparing Ashton Martin to Jeep.

Ashton Martin can't go where Jeep goes but it's still Ashton Martin... :)

About two months ago I was in market for new hiking boots and tried to find something little bit more pleasing to my eye than those 'regular' hiking boots and people recommended Russell moccassin and Gokey. I did search alot and found lots of information that recently Russells quality standards have lowered alot compared to five years ago. These are not my experiences (but peoples who own good ol'...) I haven't even seen Russells. I was recommended to buy some Mac Rostie boots instead for the same money (and wait until 2007...) but ended up buying Orvis-Gokey Sauvage Hikers for half the price...