Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

ninja — just clean those. Saddle soap works, like coleslaw said, or leather cleaner. Lots of people here recommend Obenauf, never tried it myself. This stuff's done me well.

Nice RWs, by the way, especially the 813s.

Sorry for a "noob" question but what's the difference between a dainite sole and a regular leather sole? What's the advantages/disadvantages of a dainite sole?

Disadvantages:

Dainite is fine in the rain, but horrible in snow/ice. The little circles get filled in with snow/ice and the soles become quite slick.

ninja — just clean those. Saddle soap works, like coleslaw said, or leather cleaner. Lots of people here recommend Obenauf, never tried it myself. This stuff's done me well.

Nice RWs, by the way, especially the 813s.

What other leather care products to folks recommend? Someone mentioned a brand that started with P- but I can't remember the name.

----

ajds

I just found the name I was trying to think of---

Pecard's

So the questions still stands... what is the best stuff for everyday boots like Aldens and RW's?

---

ajds

It will depend greatly on the nature of the leather that makes up the boot. Glazed, dress leathers need only minor oiling and waxing (if desired), while more open pore leathers will take up more substantial leather conditioners (i.e. Pecards) rather well.

For example: I use Pecards on my Indy's and White's semi dress, but found that the glaze finish on the Chromexel Leather (RW 1911 and 8130) does not really absorb it at all....a waste of time

I just found the name I was trying to think of---

Pecard's

So the questions still stands... what is the best stuff for everyday boots like Aldens and RW's?

---

ajds

Right. Pecard's. I also use Pecard's on my Indy boots, but I usually use Lexol conditioner on my dress shoes. I of course use either a creme or wax shoe polish on my shoes. The Indy boots, I think are much better suited to Meltonian shoe creme. Shell cordovan and dress shoes, I think are much better suited to a wax shoe polish, like Kiwi.

leather soles are pretty slippery in the rain. and on slick surfaces like concrete stairs. i've replaced all my leather soles with vibram.

Perhaps I'm used to them, but I don't find the leather soles to be that slippery after one wears away the slick surface. Of course, no matter what, they won't be as sticky as Vibram.

thanks guys for the cleaning/restoring tips. Will get on that as soon as I can.

ninja, I have a pair of those 2233's, but the newer ones. The only thing that looks different is the color of the leather and the top lace hole is a speed lace lug. Do you find the toebox to be a little cramped on those?

old viking ring, contrary to what you said about the toe room, I think the roundedness of it helps create slightly more room. Mine fits pretty well even though my feet are on the wide side. If your top lace hole is not a hole it could be another style, care to post pics?

Perhaps I'm used to them, but I don't find the leather soles to be that slippery after one wears away the slick surface. Of course, no matter what, they won't be as sticky as Vibram.

i've had to do serious ninja manoeuvres to avoid busting my ass on new york city streets with leather soles. there's a reason why the boot of choice in new york is still a pair of construction timberlands.

i've had to do serious ninja manoeuvres to avoid busting my ass on new york city streets with leather soles. there's a reason why the boot of choice in new york is still a pair of construction timberlands.

I've seen miz do this… Tim's are awesome for rain, snow, sleet etc… too bad they look awful with every pair of pants invented. 'Cept maybe for some khaki cargo pants.

Anyway, all those little pebbles and broken glass on a NY sidewalk will tear up a leather sole in less than a day. Thats why you gotta slap these suckers on them:

vibram.jpg

Alright fellas. Soon I'll purchase some nice boots for the winter time. I'd be immensely grateful if any of you guys would post pictures of the Red Wing 1911 and 1915 in action, so to speak. I know some of you guys own these.

Merry christmas!

check some of my WAYWT....i have the 1914 which is the same boot in black.

from memory, dave023 (i think thats his name) had a pair....im not sure if he bought them from someone else, or if he sold them.

also, getsmart has the 1911....he has some WAYWTs recently with them on, and there's more WAYWT pics of his over at styleforum.

check some of my WAYWT....i have the 1914 which is the same boot in black.

Thanks man. Yeah, I saw your posts. What I want is some close-up, bright pictures.

About sizing, do you know what size you wear in chucks and/or desert boots? I'm thinking I should go with a 7.5 in these Red Wings. I sport an 8.5 in Chucks and an 8 in D. Boots.

fre$co, c'mon man. Acting that way won't get you on the good side of Santa! ;););)

Thanks man. Yeah, I saw your posts. What I want is some close-up, bright pictures.

About sizing, do you know what size you wear in chucks and/or desert boots? I'm thinking I should go with a 7.5 in these Red Wings. I sport an 8.5 in Chucks and an 8 in D. Boots.

i'm a 9 in pretty much everything.....9 in chucks, 8.5UK/9.5US in tricker's.

my lovely mother is returning from abroad on the weekend with a pair of desert boots in 8.5, so time will tell with that one....hopefully they're ok. my size 9 wallabees are very comfortable, but i could easily go down half a size.

as for the red wings....after gauging some fit comments here and at styleforum, i ordered an 8.5 (ie. sized down half), and they are perfect after a few wears. i definitely couldnt've gone any smaller. both quite thin and really thick socks are fine. the width is only a D on these. i would say get either half a size down, or your true size....definitely don't size down any more.

^^jpgm, i was ready to pick up a pair of 8179's this week, but your pics of the 1914 have me all sorts of confused.

8179s are great boots....the ones bill posted above look amazing. they're definitely a chunkier, heavier, more work-styled boot though, whereas the 1914/gentlemen traveller series are something you can dress up a little more.

Anyway, all those little pebbles and broken glass on a NY sidewalk will tear up a leather sole in less than a day. Thats why you gotta slap these suckers on them:

I disagree, but to each their own. For example, I've had a pair of Alden 43601 cigar shell captoe shoes for a few months and wear them very regularly (in the rain even), and yet I don't think that the leather soles are getting all that torn up on the NYC sidewalks (sorry for the crappy iPhone pics... best I can do from the office):

solext5.jpg

43601bo7.jpg

Sizing for redwings/clarks:

I wear UK8.5 in trickers too and got a US9.5 D in redwing 875. As far as clarks dessies go, I wear a UK9. I vaguely remember trying an 8.5 and it being too tight. How do your trickers fit JPGM? and what width do you need? you might find the clarks a squeeze. I couldn't even fit a 9.5 in the desert trek because they are narrow cut.

I wear UK8.5 in trickers too and got a US9.5 D in redwing 875. As far as clarks dessies go, I wear a UK9. I vaguely remember trying an 8.5 and it being too tight. How do your trickers fit JPGM? and what width do you need? you might find the clarks a squeeze. I couldn't even fit a 9.5 in the desert trek because they are narrow cut.

my trickers are fine, although i could probably go down half a size without any concerns. i hope the desert boots work out ok, because they were bought from zappos - who dont ship to australia. so if they dont fit, its either i return them for a refund, or sell them.

i'm pretty much a regular, E width, but the D width of my 8.5US red wings are no problem.

fingers crossed....

I am already sweating the arrival of the #8 Chukkas I just ordered from Leather Soul. Since these will be seeing a fair amount of rain, and just general abuse, the double leather soles need to be protected, and I want to go the vibram route. Does anyone have suggestion on which specific vibram soles and heels I should be looking at if the shoes are going to be seeing rain on a daily basis along with a fair amount of biking.

Also, can anyone recommend a cobbler in the bay area to add the vibrams?

Also, can anyone recommend a cobbler in the bay area to add the vibrams?

If you just want to put rubber on the bottom, then I suggest you try to find Topy rubber soles instead of Vibram. If you really want tread on the bottom, then by all means put a Vibram sole on. Topy is widely considered in the shoe industry as far superior in durability to Vibram. The only downside is that there isn't much in the way of tread as it is a very thin sheet of rubber glued to the bottom.

I wear US10.5 for some or mostly US10 in sneakers. Clark's are UK8 for me, my Redwings are US9D (Good fit, I can put thick socks too) and my Tricker's are UK8.5 and they could be half a size smaller, so I say Trickers and Redwings are pretty similar in length.

It's the UK8.5 trickers club! we should arrange swaps.

I have no idea how you manage to size down in clarks compared to trickers, as according to David at trickers the country range are sized half a size larger to accomodate thick woollen socks.

Which trickers do you have moykky?

It makes me even more sure that I should wait to try on Aldens before trying to guess my size. Also confounded by the fact that different companies convert US/UK sizes differently.

One of the better spent 20 dollar bills in my life.

4q5bfpe.jpg

359n43c.jpg

Joseph Cheaney's -Courtesey Value Village

So these pictures are by Diamonds and I trust his colour editing more than I trust mine... The shoes are a little redder in natural light, and a little lighter in general. I've gotta borrow a good camera one of these days.

These shoes have a black counter part, not as nice but still got a lot of class for something from Value Village.