Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Fresco - the Red Wings are coming along nicely...

Here's an old pair - bought for 6 bucks..I'll try to take better pics in the daylight soon - and after getting them resoled..

Right now all I did was some leather treatment - waxed..

1714300723_406026666f.jpg

Thanks Beatle. That old pair look pretty nice.

And Mr. in a submarine.... Yes thats exactly what I was thinking about the snapping problem. I can feel them stretching when I pull on them so I think I'll just have to not tighten them too much. I won't be buying them if they keep snapping because here they are £2 each, $4!!! (not even for a pair). If I manage to find a cheap supply then I might stock up because I rather like the look of them.

My RW 1914's arrived yesterday. I have to say that I'm extremely satisfied with the overall quality of these - grest craftsmanship. But what else would you expect from Red Wing? It's a damn shame that they produce so few older models for domestic consuption...

Fresco - the Red Wings are coming along nicely...

Here's an old pair - bought for 6 bucks..I'll try to take better pics in the daylight soon - and after getting them resoled..

Right now all I did was some leather treatment - waxed..

1714300723_406026666f.jpg

Those are beautiful for 6 bucks, beautiful for 7 bucks too. Where did you have such luck?

Oh Alden AF60 in #8 how i long for thee...

Sorry... I tried to have one made or something very close in a group order w/ Tom, but it didn't quite turn out that way. Not enough people wanted what I described. I think the resulting plain toe boot w/ medallion will look great though. I assume you were looking for something in a commando sole though, right?

Did you ever get a response back from Adam?

trickers skipton in walnut antique (on ebay, but not my size). such a beautiful patina.... someday i'll make it out to the factory store and get something exactly like these.

trickersskiptonantiquewalnut.jpg

very beautiful :)

So someone does have a pair of boots simlar to AF60s in #8? Or are you going with the AF60s?

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=726277&postcount=131

more to the point:

if you can't wait there's always these

in fact the boots in the nothx's post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothx

Anyone know where to get the one in the middle or the one on the right? I tried alden's webstore but cannot find them. What are they called?

Thanks

are the 4060, note the 4060 and the AF60 while similar are on different lasts (4060 = grant, AF60 = plaza)

Sorry for a "noob" question but what's the difference between a dainite sole and a regular leather sole? What's the advantages/disadvantages of a dainite sole?

Danite is a rubber sole. It is a very hard wearing sole, tougher than Vibram. See this picture (Crockett & Jones byron blucher cap toe found on StyleForum):

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7677/cjbyronbrownct8.jpg

Danite is probable better for wet weather conditions. Personally, I almost always find leather soled shoes to be more comfortable than any rubber sole, but I don't have a pair with Danite.

Right... I'm the one who started the StyleForum thread. We ended up with a non-captoe which is fine with me.

I also have a pair of 4060s on order (for ~7 mo. now and counting), but I'm still interested in an AF60 in #8. To me the 4060 and the AF60 are two completely different shoes. Both captoes yes, but since they're on 2 different lasts, they look completely different. Not to mention that one is double leather soled and the other is commando soled (which I don't care about.)

So, the question remains, is there a captoe boot in #8 on the Plaza last that someone is selling? Or are people referring to the 4060?

Hey seoul, the guy who actually owns those boots pointed me to the shoe mart on Men's clothing, was it nothx?

Anyhow, what's the different between the grant last and plaza last off the top of your head, if you know?

I still like those 4060s, but I can't tell if they have the commando sole.

Grant last I believe is essentiallly true to fit. Plaza last is slightly long. However, the main difference is the shape of the toe. The Grant last is more pointy vs. the Plaza last which has a soft square toe.

Grant last:

http://www.theshoemart.com/mas_assets/full/ALD_m_CAP_TOE_BOOT_SHELL_CORDOVAN.jpg

Plaza last:

http://www.theshoemart.com/mas_assets/full/ALD_m_6_EYELET_CAP_TOE_BLUCHER_SHELL_CORDOVAN_43603.jpg

4060s are double leather sole.

Hrm, I actually like the shape of the grant last, but I really wanted the commando sole. Siiigh. How does a double leather sole look? Is it rugged?

The look is not really that rugged. You can see what it looks like in my #8 Indy boots:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=526666&postcount=2960

However, the sole does last quite a while and is pretty hard wearing. I've been wearing the Indys for 4 months, just about every other day without that much wear.

If you're dead set on a commando sole, you can probably have the 4060 resoled with commando. I'd give the Alden factory a call and see if they'd be willing to do it. Usually they will. However, they'll charge you the recrafting fee of $135, and throw in a pair of shoe trees with it. Unfortunately, that makes a fairly expensive shoe even more expensive.

Oi. Those are pretty looking. I might just bite down and "settle" for the 4060. I'll give it another month of thought.

I have a pair of 2160s:

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&category=MDH&item=ALD_m_STRAIGHT_TIP_BLUCHER_SHELL_CORDOVAN&ps=11&start=12&rpro= myself, and it ignited a love for cordovan in me.

The width on mine say B/D so, that means the D width right? They're a size 8.5 and with that width they fit me perfect.

Would I be fine ordering the 8.5 D width in 4060s?

The width on mine say B/D so, that means the D width right? They're a size 8.5 and with that width they fit me perfect.

Would I be fine ordering the 8.5 D width in 4060s?

Right, D width. I believe 8.5D in Plaza last should be fine. Supposedly the Aberdeen last on your 2160s run slightly long, but I suspect not appreciably. I've never heard anyone say to size down on them, so I suspect the fit on the Grant last is very similar to the Plaza last. BTW, the 2160 also has a double leather sole, so if you like the way those feel, then you might as well go with the 4060s if you like the way the toe looks.

Oi. Those are pretty looking. I might just bite down and "settle" for the 4060. I'll give it another month of thought.

If you like the #8 Indys, there might be a pair left for you... you'd probably be an 8D in the Tru-balance last:

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2007/10/17/alden-shoes-8-shell-cordovan-indy-boot/

Or you could go on the waiting list like me and try to get a pair of them in cigar... if you think you like shell, you have to see cigar after it's been worn in...