Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=726277&postcount=131

more to the point:

if you can't wait there's always these

in fact the boots in the nothx's post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothx

Anyone know where to get the one in the middle or the one on the right? I tried alden's webstore but cannot find them. What are they called?

Thanks

are the 4060, note the 4060 and the AF60 while similar are on different lasts (4060 = grant, AF60 = plaza)

Hi seoulfully... are you saying the one in the middle and the one to the right is actually 4060 now AF60 (indy)? Because I didnt think they are indy but I dont anything about alden so I am not sure. I like the ones in the picture more.

Thanks for clear that up

HEY!!!!!

Who moved this? And why?

This thread has had a VERY HAPPY HOME on the denim thread for a very long time.

I don’t want to follow the bloody fashion thread. I want this thread in its rightfully EARNED place: in the Denim Thread!

I joined SuFu because of this thread.

GRRRRRRR! :mad: ! ! I object!

Hi seoulfully... are you saying the one in the middle and the one to the right is actually 4060 now AF60 (indy)? Because I didnt think they are indy but I dont anything about alden so I am not sure. I like the ones in the picture more.

Thanks for clear that up

The ones in the picture appear to me to be 4060 and 4065.

Actually... This is the one I had been looking for... is this AF60 or 4060?

Definitely 4060. Miz's are definitely not AF60... toe shape is wrong and the shoe is in #8 shell.

Edit: Actually might be a slight modification on the 4060 to w/o speed hooks. It seems that some have speed hooks and some don't.

this was moved out of denim due to requests, but moved back due to even more requests :o

THANK YOU! I really only want to follow the denim forum. And this thread is the anchor, at least for me.

Thank you, again. :D

Now, back to da boots!

HEY!!!!!

Who moved this? And why?

This thread has had a VERY HAPPY HOME on the denim thread for a very long time.

I don’t want to follow the bloody fashion thread. I want this thread in its rightfully EARNED place: in the Denim Thread!

I joined SuFu because of this thread.

GRRRRRRR! :mad: ! ! I object!

thank you, leicalad. it's good to see you here, bro! how's life these days???

Hey Miz!

Truthfully, very mixed. Thus, my rare presence on any of the threads. But when I’ve the chance, I always want to see who’s been posted stuff here. Odd, but true. For what it’s worth, I’m also awaiting my Warehouse contest jeans.

I’ve been based in Thailand again for some months, which is good, but have a short term contract with a crappy UN agency that is utterly stupid and I’m really pissed I accepted it. I turned down a fun gig (but at Peace Corps wages) in Tibet for 3 months for this. I went for the better paycheck and, damn!, am I sorry. Learn that lesson!

Have put in for a research gig that will give me about 8-9 months of time in Burma/Myanmar starting in January. Hope that comes through. Odds are excellent.

Haven’t been wearing my Redwing 1911s, Grenson Ilkley’s, or much other than runners lately, so nothing new to post. My other good boots never did emerge from the APO system. Oh, well. Another reason I’m glad to be done with Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Not to word up the great thread. I’ll take some snaps of the various boots when they look worthy of posting.

In the meantime, it’s just great to see everyone else’s progress!

Cheers to all. :cool:

wow, you live such a crazy life.

i have a friend who travels the world teaching english. everywhere he goes, he learns a new martial art. in thailand, he picked up muay thai, in nyc, he picked up mixed martial arts. he's in brazil right now, learning brazilian jiu-jitsu of course.

what is something that you pick up every place that you go? i know you have a penchant for picking up the local footwear. where are you in thailand? is your family with you right now?

sorry for all the questions, but it's been a while!

Being as that my new White's, my older White's and my Indy's will last me approx 500 years or so....and that I desperately need furniture for my apt.....We're doing a Red Wing Sale!!

Get em while they're toasty.....

$110 each

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=39272

IMG_0772.jpg

I have looked around for other threads to ask this in, but seeing as there isn't a thread that seems suited to issue a better response than this one...here goes:

What are your preferences between the Alden Commando sole, and the part leather/part crepe sole available on the Leather Soul Hawaii winter Chukka. I have more or less resolved to pick up a pair of Alden Chukkas for a winter in the Bay Area (just lots of rainy days, but also a fair amount of bike riding) and was wondering which soles would be a better choice. For those of you with experience with only one of the soles I am asking about...what did you like or not like about them in the rain?

Also, if I am going to be wearing these everyday, and biking with them semi-regularly, should I avoid going Cordovan in favor of Calfskin, or will the Cordovans hold up?

Thanks

Also, if I am going to be wearing these everyday, and biking with them semi-regularly, should I avoid going Cordovan in favor of Calfskin, or will the Cordovans hold up?

I can't say anything about the commando or crepe soles as I don't own any... yet. However, in my opinion, cordovan is far more durable and scuff resistant than calfskin. In addition, it requires far less maintenance (almost no polishing or moisturizing required.)

Seeing all the great shoes posted here inspired me to share some of my own. So here goes...

all_02.jpg

L to R : Redwing 2233, Redwing 8179, Tredair of Northamptonshire Handmade

Redwing2233_01.jpg

Age 15 years, Sz 10.5D retired long ago but now I am on a mission to restore them. Any tips?

Redwing2233_02.jpg

Sole + inner tongue detail

Redwing8179_01.jpg

Age 5 years, Sz 10E still wearing them but these are tough to break in

Redwing8179_02.jpg

Sole + inner tongue detail

Tredair_01.jpg

Age 5 years, Sz 11 I think i am going to get them some new soles soon

Tredair_02.jpg

detail against some denim for contrast

These are some really durable and long lasting shoes.....

Seeing all the great shoes posted here inspired me to share some of my own. So here goes...

Redwing2233_01.jpg

Age 15 years, Sz 10.5D retired long ago but now I am on a mission to restore them. Any tips?

Those are still looking great..I would just wax or oil the leather...