Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I see how the fit on these can be confusing for people. The standard thinking on these is that they run long and narrow. They are definitely long for a 9 D, but I don't find them very narrow. The overall sillouette (look) of the shoe is much more narrow and shoe like than the average moc toe red wing, but I find the actaul fit to be pretty standard (i.e., the D width fits like a D)

I wear 10 or 10.5 in sneakers and stuff like that but my RW's are 9D and they have a fair bit of extra room in front of my toes ( correct sizing is courtesy of fellow forumee by the name superBobo :) ). I'd say 8.5 would be a little bit too tight, considering I don't have insoles yet...

Are you using an insole in those boots??

I'm using a thin one and it makes the boot even more comfortable....

...but it seems they need ones?

I wear 10 or 10.5 in sneakers and stuff like that but my RW's are 9D and they have a fair bit of extra room in front of my toes ( correct sizing is courtesy of fellow forumee by the name superBobo :) ). I'd say 8.5 would be a little bit too tight, considering I don't have insoles yet...

...but it seems they need ones?

I was told they had some kind of orthopedic insole?? and didn't need an extra insole...

I was told they had some kind of orthopedic insole?? and didn't need an extra insole...

I think you might have gotten your signals crossed: White's boots have an orthopedic footbed, and, in my opinion, don't require any insole.

The RW 1911's however, are completely flat in the insole. Much more of a bare-bones vintage boot construction. Lots of right angles.

I got my 1911’s for the same $ from GregNYC (for which I am STILL VERY grateful!). The sizing is odd-ish. These were a 9.5D, but fit like a 10.5C.

GregNYC had his cobbler do a width stretch on ‘em, but they were still too narrow and, for him, a bit too long. Thus, he sold them to me. I find the length closer to a 10.25, which is just barely okay for me. Even after the stretching, I’ve also found them tight (I like a D or E width).

But, they are just so good looking that I’ve been breaking them (and my feet) in over a period of some months. It is paying off, in that they are ever more comfortable. I keep wide shoe trees in them when not on my feet, which is also key.

I’m off to Aussie-land for a few days. I’d post wear photos, but I keep ‘em clean and buffed so they look just like Bill’s!

yes kinjiro san really knows about jeans and jackets. u should check out their meeting pics. all those beautifull a2s , he even has a page with pictures of his trip to the few company in new zealand. and the boots are nice, pity he does not sell international.

and u gys should check out drxxxcowboys yahoo page. he sells stuff , but onley to japan. but the guy is funny with all the pics, and u can see how some of the jeans and boots looks like......

allways fun to stop by there

heres the link

http://tw.user.bid.yahoo.com/tw/show/auctions?userID=drxxxcowboy&u=%3Adrxxxcowboy

I got my 1911’s for the same $ from GregNYC (for which I am STILL VERY grateful!). The sizing is odd-ish. These were a 9.5D, but fit like a 10.5C.

GregNYC had his cobbler do a width stretch on ‘em, but they were still too narrow and, for him, a bit too long. Thus, he sold them to me. I find the length closer to a 10.25, which is just barely okay for me. Even after the stretching, I’ve also found them tight (I like a D or E width).

But, they are just so good looking that I’ve been breaking them (and my feet) in over a period of some months. It is paying off, in that they are ever more comfortable. I keep wide shoe trees in them when not on my feet, which is also key.

I’m off to Aussie-land for a few days. I’d post wear photos, but I keep ‘em clean and buffed so they look just like Bill’s!

1911 doesn't have that wedge sole right? I actually like that (wedge) sole because it's so soft and comfortable. I also treated my boots with beeswax+hairdryer and they got really soft. They were a bit tight (width) at first but after the treatment theyre perfecto.

Got my boots back from the cobbler, he didn't completely resole them as the original sole was still pretty good according to him, I trust him.

Just put new vibram soles on it, and reattachted the original sole, do think he restitched everything.

Also put a small leather patch under the repaired cut.

I asked him if he could tell em more about them from the construction.

While he initially thought that were atleast 30 years old he now said that they were probably 50 to 60 years old. And basing on the numbers on the insole they were military boots, but he had no reason to believe that they were German (guess it would've been a bit akward then, heh).

Also said that they would easily last another 50 years looking the condition they are in.

My father also thinks that they are cordovan, forgot to ask the cobbler.

So a very good find indeed.

1599566443_6ca552a965_o.jpg

1600455892_cdf499c236.jpg

1600454466_9d3c0dc272.jpg

1600455438_5ded6ff6cc.jpg

And below one more time my original post from the day I found them:

Finally some thrifting luck!

Found these amazing badass boots today, and they fit like a glove.

No clue about brand and such, markings on the soles are all worn down, and what's still there is from the new soles that have been put up, inside only has some numbers.

I assume biking boots, and also nothing special but still I like them alot.

Any info anyone?

1509062646_2abe20da76_o.jpg

1508206317_1d400fb439.jpg

1509062954_11200a9438.jpg

1509063908_60a128bc55.jpg

1509061734_88eccf9ec0.jpg

sole isn't in the best condition and there's a pretty big cut on the left shoe wich has been repaired quite cool

1509062076_fb82e76e89.jpg

best representation of the colour, can't figure out if they've originally been black or deep brown.

Today's waywt for a pic of them worn

I know there was some discussion on Doc Martins in the past.

I tooks some pics of my Docs that I've had for amost 10 years now. The soles have held up wonderfully.

I just polished them up a few months ago. I had to get these in Canada where they sold half sizes as (at the time) the US only sold whole sizes...

dsc08683.jpg

dsc08686.jpg

dsc08685.jpg

Maybe it's because I'm english and they're ten-a-penny here but DMs (as they're known here, not Docs) do absolutely nothing for me.

I had a few pairs over my teens and they all fell apart or had a fatal flaw. The yellow stitching would come apart, the steel toecaps would come loose and the soles would wear down quicker than a Nike air Jordan.

I don't mind the shape of the 8 eyelet classic boot but the quality is not great.

Maybe it's because I'm english and they're ten-a-penny here but DMs (as they're known here, not Docs) do absolutely nothing for me.

I had a few pairs over my teens and they all fell apart or had a fatal flaw. The yellow stitching would come apart, the steel toecaps would come loose and the soles would wear down quicker than a Nike air Jordan.

I don't mind the shape of the 8 eyelet classic boot but the quality is not great.

I have never found DMs to be comfortable to wear.

i'm looking for a pair of stalking/tracking boots. i've been trying to get a pair of russell trackers but their current turnaround is 4 months and they're not taking rush orders. so i started looking at quoddy trail grizzley boots. does anyone have any experience with them or have any other recommendations? i'd also prefer a boarhide sole to cowhide.

i also thought about having an old busted pair of browning featherweights resoled with boarhide. but i don't know much about leatherwork and don't know how that would turn out. i think it would look better than it performs.

I still have two pairs of old 8 eyelets ( that are made in UK).

Past 10 years they have been making them in China and THOSE are bad.