Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I still have two pairs of old 8 eyelets ( that are made in UK).

Past 10 years they have been making them in China and THOSE are bad.

I had years ago a pair of UK made boots and I now have a pair of Romanian burgundy wingtips; botrh are awful for walking over any considerable distance.

I've just really, really wanted to show these off to someone..

I was at a Salvation Army while visiting my grandparents in Toronto, and not having too much luck, then I stumbled upon these (I had no idea what C&J was at the time), and I flipped at how comfortable they were. I thought $17.00 was a little steep though...

Second-hand stores! The best way to get worn-in shoes, in my opinion..

DSC09800.jpg

DSC09801.jpg

DSC09804.jpg

I know there was some discussion on Doc Martins in the past.

I tooks some pics of my Docs that I've had for amost 10 years now. The soles have held up wonderfully.

I just polished them up a few months ago. I had to get these in Canada where they sold half sizes as (at the time) the US only sold whole sizes...

dsc08683.jpg

I had these same shoes, probably about 10 years ago too, I guess that's like 9th grade for me. Never liked the double sole on Docs.

I dug my made in England 1460's out the other day to find the tabs in the back were tore off. :(

Sorry happy hoooligan, I wasn't dissing your shoes. I meant that I never had any luck with them as they always fell apart for me, and they are too ubiquitous to appreciate.

As far as UK made ones goes... how long ago did they stop making them here because I was a teen 17-11 years ago so the UK made ones were bad if thats what I was wearing. On the other hand I have fond memories of indestructable monkey boots.

Sorry happy hoooligan, I wasn't dissing your shoes. I meant that I never had any luck with them as they always fell apart for me, and they are too ubiquitous to appreciate.

As far as UK made ones goes... how long ago did they stop making them here because I was a teen 17-11 years ago so the UK made ones were bad if thats what I was wearing. On the other hand I have fond memories of indestructable monkey boots.

I haven't got any of those new ones, but my friend had this shop that sold them and he used to rant how bad the quality went. They stopped the vegetarian-line also at the same time. I've actually walked with my docs in last millennium and can't really tell how good or bad the are -though I have to say that big part of wearing them was the ideology...

One thing is for sure: Docs are not like good wine (not like bad wine either)... :)

Can someone point me in the direction of a better price on the Red Wings Gentleman Travelers? Would love to save money off the Zappos price.

thanks!

-t

The price is higher than than just about everywhere. That sucks, but I may still go through them rather than cultizm, just for simplicity.

Can someone point me in the direction of a better price on the Red Wings Gentleman Travelers? Would love to save money off the Zappos price.

thanks!

-t

Cultizm.com - try there.

Just copped me a pair. Can't wait til they get here!!!

^^looking forward to it.

I was really in the market for some chippewas last spring, but wasnt sure of the sizing. They have some great reddish engineer boot with crepe soles.. wish I had gotten those when they where on ebay. The regular /low engineer boots are cool aswell, but Im unsure if I could pull off the high heel.

thanks!

-t

Zappos will price match if you call them(1-800-ZAPPOS-1 (1-800-927-7671) or 702-943-7677) , as long as another site has them in stock. I usually support the little guy, but this makes them much much cheaper and you get them quick.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep the pair of Indys or Red Wings- i don't think I need both at those prices (I sound like a cheap bastard today).

----

ajds

yes they do :) :

Danielle: If you'd like to place an order with a price protection, you can contact us by phone at 1-800-927-7671. A representative will be happy to verify the competitor's stock, and deduct the amount prior to charging your credit card. Otherwise, you can place your order online and then email us with the order number. If we can verify that the competitor has the item in stock in the same style, size, color, width, and quantity that you purchased from us ,we'll be happy to refund your credit card for 110% of the difference in price!

berlin purchase, Camper Brothers Punta in black..

36325-001_L.jpg

36325-001_C.jpg

pics from Camper's homepage.. will try and get some shots later (dad has camera along on his african safari trip)..

I've worn the same boots for the past 4 years and I personally like the vintage look more then a crisp new pair. I think the rips, different shades of dirt, and fading give it more character. Plus they're broken in so its a lot more comfortable.

Yeah, just like it's nice to personalize a nice pair of dry jeans, it's nice to get like, some really great new high-grade leather boots and wear them in yourself.

The boot in the picture was from Frye. 'Pretty reasonable price on the webstore.. Like, $200.00. Can anyone vouch for the quality?

Wesco, huh? I'll check that out. Are they anything like Daytons? I hear those are nice, as well. I'm not huge into the leather boot scene. I like the look of a nice pair of desert boots though..

daytons seem nice, but I've never had or seen a pair.

Their website has more pictures of celebrites who wear their boots then actual pictures of their boots.

I worry it's more about status then quality.

7954-529368-3.jpg

should be arriving on tuesday...........

the price on cultizm, plus shipping, worked out to be cheaper than the zappos price, and they dont ship internationally.

after reading all the sizing comments here and on the other SF, i decided to only go down 1/2 a size. hopefully this works out ok.

Word still stands - they are sexy...

Thanks beats. I wear 'em almost everyday.

Beau – I think Frye might be the oldest bootmaker in America. Quality is pretty good for the price. There used to be so many boot makers in the US, but a lot of companies started doing production overseas. Off the top of my head, these companies still make boots here. Danner, Wesco, White's, Chippewa, Frye, Red Wing, Alden's… there's few more, all which are dicussed thoroughly on this thread. Wesco's are probably the best for some biker type of boots, but it does come with a price, around $400~$500 for custom. But they'll last longer than a human lifespan.

coleslaw, those look fucking great.. I should get something like that.

thats rough -out leather right?

How would you descripe the sizing of those Chippewas? compared with Red wing for instance..

Thanks SB. Yep, rough-out leather. I was actually trying to find either of these colors, but of course they aren't available here.

chippewacolors.jpg

I have to say that the sizing is true to size. For instance, if you normally wear a 9D, then I would say go for a 9D, unlike Frye's who size up half a size. I have to warn you though, they aren't too comfortable to wear, so I have insoles in them. You get used to the high heel after awhile. Besides, it makes you an inch taller. But you can't really beat the quality / price. Its still a pretty solid boot.