Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

cross-x from some other threads here. not aged yet. in fact when these were taken, hadn't seen pavement yet, but soon!

stacks not quite right... 21cm on the SExIH01s doesn't reach all the way down, but not that I want a boot cut (sorry for the blurry pic)

1810580561_651047250b.jpg

side view

1811430128_b6ae33ad96.jpg

front view

1811434816_115e380ec7.jpg

back and combs

1810599631_781cde73ee.jpg

front fit, nevermind the shirt...

1811469380_1cb1037431.jpg

back fit

1811493672_8cb1eb617d.jpg

I disagree, but to each their own. For example, I've had a pair of Alden 43601 cigar shell captoe shoes for a few months and wear them very regularly (in the rain even), and yet I don't think that the leather soles are getting all that torn up on the NYC sidewalks (sorry for the crappy iPhone pics... best I can do from the office):

Yeah you know what? I have a pair of Alden cordovan wing tips for over a year now, and for some reason they look great too. I don't have any rubber on them. But I have a couple of other shoes like a Paul Smith one and a pair of Gucci's that I've worn maybe a handful of times and they look like shit. Could just be the leather.

Yeah you know what? I have a pair of Alden cordovan wing tips for over a year now, and for some reason they look great too. I don't have any rubber on them. But I have a couple of other shoes like a Paul Smith one and a pair of Gucci's that I've worn maybe a handful of times and they look like shit. Could just be the leather.

Leather quality in soles vary quite a bit. I've had a couple that were horrible. Good quality leather soles will last a very long time, particularly if they are double leather. The soles on Alden shoes appear to be extremely durable.

While on the topic, Joh. Rendenbach soles are widely considered the best and most durable soles in the industry. If you can find a cobbler that will use those as the replacements, you are probably in very good hands.

Guest jeffvyain

i'm looking for my ideal perfect boot. i don't know shit about boots, or shoes for that matter. but i have this pair of johnston & murphy monk strap shoes that i absolutely love the shape and feel of that i wish were boots, and i'm hoping someone here can help me find a boot that's shaped and styled similarly (and built well). I don't care if they're brown or black. I need both. And leather bottoms are preferred. Any help in finding me a good boot to wear would be much appreciated. Here're the Johnston & Murphy's I mentioned:

johnstonmurphy016.jpg

johnstonmurphy019.jpg

johnstonmurphy014.jpg

johnstonmurphy006.jpg

oh yea, and i've been thinking about beatle boots (what i thought could fit the bill) for a long time, but I just haven't found a pair on ebay that i thought looked like nice, solid leather that could stand the test of time. And if it makes any difference, I'm a 10 1/2

The closest that I know about are:

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.asp?pageid=30A4383191C26B9B&departmentproducttypegroupid=9C8322E9C7C024FB&productid=D31CAE7A3167399D&producttypeid=3AECD6850AE70656#

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Black_Shell_Cordovan_George_Boot_5.htm

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Black_Shell_Cordovan_179.htm

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523&Product_Id=1080704&Parent_Id=522

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the RM Williams boot is a MTO (though I did see it in the NYC store.) The Alden AF8 George boot has a somewhat non-elegant toe. And then the AF67s have a commando sole. The BB Peal branded ones are probably made by either Alfred Sargent or Crockett & Jones, which are good but they're pricey.

Guest jeffvyain

wow, that stockman's buckle boot is pretty much exactly what i would want. it would take some serious saving (or just a big paycheck, whichever comes first. anyone in WA need a home loan?). not a huge fan of most chukkas. they tend to be a bit clunky fitting.

wow, that stockman's buckle boot is pretty much exactly what i would want. it would take some serious saving (or just a big paycheck, whichever comes first. anyone in WA need a home loan?). not a huge fan of most chukkas. they tend to be a bit clunky fitting.

Maybe have a look at frye boots. I was in Liberty (London) yesterday and saw them for the first time. They do a buckle boot, kind of like an engineer boot but with a slimmer sleeker profile. with the buckle in a similar place as your monk straps. By the way the shoes look very nice with those cuffed jeans.What are the jeans?

wow, that stockman's buckle boot is pretty much exactly what i would want. it would take some serious saving (or just a big paycheck, whichever comes first.

Well, you can probably get them for around half of that price... just read this thread carefully:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179

Actually, if you're interested in an RM Williams boot, you should read that thread carefully regardless.

anyone know what's the general consensus with sizing of the Alden Indy boots? I wear size 9 (Euro 42) in most shoes but fit a 8.5 in Red Wing's. Are there any pics of the Indy's with commando soles?

those AF60's look sweet as well!

anyone know what's the general consensus with sizing of the Alden Indy boots? I wear size 9 (Euro 42) in most shoes but fit a 8.5 in Red Wing's. Are there any pics of the Indy's with commando soles?

Thanks!

In Indy's, one usually has to size down by .5. I unfortunately don't know how they compare to Red Wing since I don't have any. The standard Indy's do not come in a commando sole, but with an oil resistant neoprene sole. Chicken took a pair to a cobbler and had the soles replaced with a vibram commando sole. For pics see here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=408857&postcount=2482

Alden of Carmel has some Alden Fan shell cordovan Indy boots that are on a commando sole.

I just got a pair of Indys (calfskin) that fit great- my size in New Balance 992's (easy to find) is 101/2 D US, 44.5 EU- I wear a 9/12 D for the Indys.

I returned the the pair of size 10s and it was well worth the wait.

-----

ajds

Guest jeffvyain

i'll check out the fryes. the jeans are samurai s5000vx i've been wearing for quite some time now. thanks to all that replied. i will check out your suggestions

Maybe have a look at frye boots. I was in Liberty (London) yesterday and saw them for the first time. They do a buckle boot, kind of like an engineer boot but with a slimmer sleeker profile. with the buckle in a similar place as your monk straps. By the way the shoes look very nice with those cuffed jeans.What are the jeans?

hi guys.

I'm heading to hong kong soon, was wondering if anyone can point me to the direction to where I can find nice looking boots. Aldens etc.

I've posted this on shoe thread and small questions, hope it hasn't caused any trouble, just that only a few people answer in the small questions (they do hell of a good job though) and also yeah this shoe thread is awesome.

Hey Slab,

Yes bought those in a private collection shop in Brussels...living in the capital still has some advantages;)

indeed it has! ;-) btw have you ever checked out the shop in Brussels that sells Alden boots? Just found the address on the Alden website