Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

you guys don't even need to look far, just look @ the posts and links I posted on the previous pages

seen your posts but I would like to stick to the 'white sole' look, so vibram commando soles are out of the question, thinking of morvis or morflex soles...

thing is though, even if I could pickup the soles online, where in Belgium could I get them resoled, hoping slab has some good news for me in the not too distant future :P

seen your posts but I would like to stick to the 'white sole' look, so vibram commando soles are out of the question, thinking of morvis or morflex soles...

thing is though, even if I could pickup the soles online, where in Belgium could I get them resoled, hoping slab has some good news for me in the not too distant future :P

Tiro, Almostnice suggested me a good cobbler in Berlin, which isn't that far away from us...

didn't u have your vibergs resoled Rob? u had that done in Berlin?

interested in more details buddy...

rubyblue; interested to hear as well

Rayw44, if they were a size 8 then they were the pair i was looking at; thanks for the wonderful pictures. jealousy fire all the way ;)

didn't u have your vibergs resoled Rob? u had that done in Berlin?

interested in more details buddy...

Nah, a good cobbler here in Antwerp... he's a true old school craftsman with talent, BUT, he can't source the necessary parts for repairing heavy duty boots.

The Vibergs were decently resoled, but the original rubber heels were 4mm higher than the replacements...you see my problem?

So, the boots are back to BC (Full leather sole + rubber heel).

@ rungo : How did you size the boots, compared to your Clarks db?

Well, its hard to say, as my dbs are actually too big, and they're 10 1/2, the Kelso are a 10 and fit well, so I'd say, go with Clark's size, on average. I am using a medium thick boot sock for a snug fit in the Kelso, and I'm pretty sure my dbs are a half size too big, although could probably drop a full size if I only used thin socks. (for example, in the winter, I can double sock with thick socks and comfortably fit in my dbs). All sizes are in UK.

I currently own some vintage pairs, and these rival or surpass every pair I have ever owned.

6141020336_41a6306f68_z.jpg

I tried to capture the grain of the leather in this pic and the next. The grain is very interesting, and is really something to see in person. If you really like grainy leather (Mikecch?) you will really like these.

Nice boots!

Hoping to buy my first pair of engineer boots early next year...wanna have a look at the one Lofgren is releasing too.

Perhaps a closer comparison would be the Alden 403 versus 1000 miles, as both are CXL from Horween.

I've handled both, and would go for Alden's even thought it's a little more expensive. Baker's has a great deal though...my 403 came out cheaper than the 1000 Mile RRP earlier this year :)

Talk to Bakershoe about the Alden's. The prices aren't too far apart. Both are good choices.

yep comparing the prices as quoted by Kyle on bakershoe and revolveclothing(after the 30% disc). shipping it to asia, so shipping is slightly expensive too.

right, leaning more towards the indy's now. question, if I were to wear a 11D in red wings beckmen(though with a slight excess but comfortable), should I go for the same size too or go down half a size? reading that some people have gone for the same size, some downsized half, some by a full 1 size...

^^

Yeah, but seeing as we're talking about welted shoes which can be rebuilt for decades of service, it's probably a better investment with the Alden's if the extra dollars isn't too much of an issue.

Or, alternatively, if you're a bit smaller in foot size, check the bay for some NOS vintage Wolverine's that are made of old-school shell cordovan :)

Baker's ships Express too...and AFAIK Revolve's free international ship is only Priority (?), so a few extra bucks would be right.

Formal or work boots Rafa?

I love my SD's, and have seen a couple of very reasonably priced pairs for sale in the last couple of days depending what shoe size you are.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whites-Boots-Semi-Dress-whites-brown-leather-work-7-5-/170697004589?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item27be55962d#ht_500wt_1204

Ask the guy for actual measurements, as my SD's fit massively big. I'm usually a UK10.5, and my SD's are a US 10.

ThinFinn,

I think any boot aficionado should have at least 1 pair these:

Alden Indy 405

White's SD (lots of options on leather and configuration here)

if you already own these I'd go for one of these in no particular order:

Wolverine 1000/Addison (if you like the toebox which some people don't)

Tricker's Eaton (somebody recently did a group buy of these and they looked damn good)

William Lennon

Wesco Engineer (might be out of your budget) or Vintage Engineer (sometimes some good deals on ebay for these)

Ultimately it's up to your personal taste.