Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i prefer the double stitching of the welt though

anyone selling a pair of whites size 8, preferably with block heel?

hey while we are still (kinda) on the topic of plantation crepe soles and resoling: awhile ago I asked the cobbler that I use (nob hill shoe repair) if he could get plantation crepe soles for my worn out wallabees and my GTs that I was hoping to make a bit comfier now that their original soles are almost worn through.

He said they were basically impossible to order from anywhere. Has anyone had any luck getting plantation crepe soles put on a pair of non-aldens? (I say non-aldens because it seems clear that alden has plenty of the soles, and will gladly put them on their own shoes, but I imagine they wouldn't be too happy if I sent them my GTs...)

soo... anyone know anything?

Alden sizing issues folks.

I am looking at some plain toe black shells . There are two and one is on the modified last and the other is on the 379X last (never heard of it before). I wear a 8 in my Roys and Indys and I have an 8 in a boot on the Barrie last, but I could have moved up to 8.5 and probably would have fit more comfortable. I also have a pair of AF65s (don't know the last) and in those I am comfortably a size 8.

Any info for me on the modifed or 379X last?

Thanks folks.

I am looking at some plain toe black shells . There are two and one is on the modified last and the other is on the 379X last (never heard of it before). I wear a 8 in my Roys and Indys and I have an 8 in a boot on the Barrie last, but I could have moved up to 8.5 and probably would have fit more comfortable. I also have a pair of AF65s (don't know the last) and in those I am comfortably a size 8.

Thanks folks.

I wear 9E in Barrie and Tru-balance (Roy + Indy)

and I measured 9.5D in Modified.

Hopefully that helps somehow

Cigar today

cigar5.jpg

love those... they look almost identical to what I'm wearing today.. my vintage Florsheims w/v-cleats.. except mine is pebblely leather

Who makes those? and what do the bottoms look like?

love those... they look almost identical to what I'm wearing today.. my vintage Florsheims w/v-cleats.. except mine is pebblely leather

Who makes those? and what do the bottoms look like?

I'm sure those are Alden Longwings - in cigar. Leather sole, probably. I have a pair of them in a burgundy shell cordovan (only been worn sparingly, as they're my wedding shoes) and a pair from Winn Perry in walnut brown calfskin, as my "beater" pair.

I'll wear them more often after the wedding, of course. But before the wedding I've worn them just enough to scuff the soles so I have traction.

I'll wear them more often after the wedding, of course. But before the wedding I've worn them just enough to scuff the soles so I have traction.

oh man... ok I thought you were already married and were keeping them locked down a la women storing their wedding dresses, never to be worn again. By all means, carry on.

Ha! yeah, I'm wearing them after the wedding for sure. Sorry for the confusion.

here's a camera phone shot of my florsheim's from today..

except for the leather texture they're pretty close. Florsheims put and extra stitch on the piece of leather that holds the laces...

DSC00036.jpg

Now that I've had these stretched out from the Cobbler to a wider width they are no longer for sale and I can share them here! What I wrote in my for sale thread.

"This was a special "Fan Model" of the popular Indy boot made without moc toe stitching on the Tru Balance last. They were made to the Alden of New England standards (instead of the Foot Balance standards of the standard Indy 403, 404, and 405 boots), with neoprene cork sole, cotton lining, and out of the very tough Heavily Oiled Kudu leather. Now what the Alden of New England standards offer (which I think is frankly nothing now that almost everything has a leather lining) over the Foot Balance standards is beyond me. Beautiful color and extremely heavy leather (compared to my Indy 405's they feel twice as thick!)."

I wore them Friday-Sunday at work (11+ hours a day) and they are so damn tough! This Kudu leather is really something else.

My ultimate goal with these was to throw plantation crepe soles on them and flat waxed laces. It turns out Alden does not send out Plantation Crepe soles to Alden dealers or cobblers. So I must send them to Alden to have the soles put on. And I'm having a hard time finding the right flat waxed laces.

Where did you get these boots from? Really dig them....

Thanks folks.

I would call the guys at Moulded Shoe or email Tom at Leathersoul. Modified Last is a very different fit and I would be careful when buying without trying on. I am a 9.5EEE on the Modified and have no idea what fits in Trubalance... 9.5EEE doesn't fit, 10EEE doesn't fit well - Maybe 10EE?? Try on before you buy or buy from a place where you can return. Are you close to NYC??

I am looking for a nice pair of boots without laces (cigar/bourbon colour), like a pair of engineering boots. I've seen a lot of them wore during my last trip in Berlin/Bread and Butter. I know a lot of guys that I've met was wearing red wing engineering boots but if you have something different...

thanks you by advance guys !

I am looking for a nice pair of boots without laces (cigar/bourbon colour), like a pair of engineering boots. I've seen a lot of them wore during my last trip in Berlin/Bread and Butter. I know a lot of guys that I've met was wearing red wing engineering boots but if you have something different...

thanks you by advance guys !

Have you looked at the Frye Brando boots. Theyre a little less chunky than the redwings and a nicer colour. Sound like the kinda thing you might be after. Very nice boots.

http://http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_engineer-031.php

They also look much better than in these pics. Think theres some shown earlier in this thread somewhere