Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i love the idea of cordovans' long life and toughness, but i have a hard time finding work boots or other styles in cordovan (besides dress) that really feel right for me.

In general I think your right but I think there are a couple of exceptions. Those LS cordovan pitt boots Arrow posted a week ago look legit to me.

Here was the photo if you missed it:

5421672473_8fe65dd1ed_z_d.jpg

THey look great - I think there's a tradition of officer's and 40s workboots in Cordovan, when they're sleek, like that pair, they're very attractive. The engineers, being chunkier and more blue-collar, don't.

Last night I finished a book on the Dieppe raid I picked up in a local used book store. The raid was a disaster, and taught them lots of lessons for D-Day.

THe last casualty was an Americna observer, Colonel Hissinger, who was injured when a Dornier, under attack, jettisoned a bomb. It hit his destroyer - and blew his foot off. He had been wearing, for the first time, a pair of made-to-order boots he's bought on Jermyn street. After he tourniquet'd the stump with a tie, he saw his foot floating away from the ship encased in brand new leather. HE was so disgusted at the loss of his expensive boot, he unlaced the other one, and threw it in the Channel after it.

question for the engineer experts

looking to buy my first pair of (inexpensive) engineers; which one is advised?

- Red Wing 2268

- Chippewa 27899

the chippewas are a bit cheaper but both are made in US and have steel toes. I am actually looking for engineers with a low toe profile but cant seem to find any in that same price range. What struck me though on the Okuyama website, was that quite some of the resoled Red Wings had a low profile toe; is it the result of heavy wear (possible with steel toes)???

THe last casualty was an Americna observer, Colonel Hissinger, who was injured when a Dornier, under attack, jettisoned a bomb. It hit his destroyer - and blew his foot off. He had been wearing, for the first time, a pair of made-to-order boots he's bought on Jermyn street. After he tourniquet'd the stump with a tie, he saw his foot floating away from the ship encased in brand new leather. HE was so disgusted at the loss of his expensive boot, he unlaced the other one, and threw it in the Channel after it.

Sufu member #1

Hi alleyooptroop,re: your White's SD brown chrome excel, how low was your block heel compared to the standard block heel and what last was that?

I sent the boots back already so I can't get an accurate measurement but I had requested a lower heel. The lowest they can go is 1/4" lower so maybe someone here who has a pair of sd's with a standard height heel could measure, you can get your number that way.

I was tempted to go with the swing last but after talking to the folks at whites I figured out that I only needed to go with the standard last.

I'm lucky enough to have a Crockett & Jones shop less than ten minutes walk away...tried them on but ended up getting the Arran for a couple of reasons.

Definitely one I'd keep in mind for the future though. A beautiful, waxy pair of C&J Skye recently went on eBay for a (relative) steal, they're the predecessor to the Islay as far as I know...