Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I love my Frye harness boots, and have had zero QC issues, but then again they are almost old enough to drive. It seems that they are going the way of most 'heritage brands', by swamping their lines with cheap imported trash, and keeping just enough of their original goods to be able to trade on their former good name. Since it is all part of a ruthless cost carving agenda, it stands to reason that the domestic producers are feeling heavy pressure to be more profitable to the company. The result generally presents itself in dubious quality. I haven't seen any of the US versions in person lately to give a first hand opinion though, as every one I've picked up has said made in Mexico.

I don't think it's a debate with "Team MF" shirts being worn. It's just two companies that made a similar looking vintage copy engineer boot about at the same time.

Neither company "invented" the engineer boot. And if either claims they did, then I guess James dean is a time traveler as he somehow got a pair of them and went back 50 years to wear them in Rebel...

those horse hide thorogoods are really nice; im patiently waiting though for Whites to finally release their horse hide for the US/EU market. Just hope im not waiting for Godot.

what do you all think about the wolverine 1000 mile boot?

I really like my Addisons. The Horween Chromexcel leather they use is amazing. They were comfortable out of the box. I did 6 miles the day after I got them. I still can hardly stand to walk long distances in my Red Wing GT's.

I really like my Addisons. The Horween Chromexcel leather they use is amazing. They were comfortable out of the box. I did 6 miles the day after I got them. I still can hardly stand to walk long distances in my Red Wing GT's.

That is so damn true. I tried on some RW Beckmans and Iron Rangers. When I finally had a chance to try on the Wolverine 1K Mile (originals), they were so comfortable out of the box. I'm sure the RW's would break in nicely and also last a lifetime, but in the end, I went with the 1K's and couldn't be more pleased.

Still super comfy, look great after ~6 months of wear and 5-6 Obenauf LP treatments.

DSC_8165.jpg

DSC_8198.jpg

They've seen a decent amount of snow/rain and held up nicely. I wipe the salt off with damp cloth and let the soles dry for at least a day or two before wearing them again if the soles got super wet.

My brothers and I hit Viberg last night and came home with boots. I picked up the brogue toe cap that were still warm from handcrafting. My brother got same hikers as mine, but replaced red laces with leather. My little bro picked up some black (look blueish) engineers...at least I think they're engineers.

5438189842_160ac8f3b4_b.jpg

5438190282_5c820d41c1_b.jpg

5437584523_452697b847_b.jpg

5438191380_772074b650_b.jpg

5437585629_c2be4cf856_b.jpg

5437587287_b2f46dfa8d_b.jpg

5437586771_6d6ae999cf_b.jpg

5437582767_68bae34bd6_b.jpg

5437582229_49df0084e0_b.jpg

It's deceptively ugly. If you're set on that price range, just get Red Wings.

This. Even after wearing them for a couple of months, I couldn't get over how awkward it looked.

I pretty much regret getting them. In addition, mine had some sloppy stitching on the uppers.

Last thing--there was no break in time, but I think part of the reason is that they are so lightweight (like a pair of shoes). The chromexcel isnt particularly thick. They definitely aren't holding up like my red wings.

Just got a response from Takeshi Okuyama regarding engineer buckles. He says he's got no brass Wesco buckles, but has Spencers buckles, made of iron with a gold finish.

I'm going to see if I can get pictures of what he's referring to.

edit: ah, http://hukurokuju.com/blog/category/wesco/#

He's got the bottom ones. I really like those least. Hoping he's got the other ones above available.

My brothers and I hit Viberg last night and came home with boots. I picked up the brogue toe cap that were still warm from handcrafting. My brother got same hikers as mine, but replaced red laces with leather. My little bro picked up some black (look blueish) engineers...at least I think they're engineers.

That's just awesome. I love the brogue toe cap. Is that same boot come w/ different sole options?

Hoping he's got the other ones above available.

He offers 2 style buckles, 50's Chippewa and 90's Wesco. The Chippewas come in nickel, chrome, brass and matte. The Wesco comes in gold gloss and matte. The Wescos are pretty period specific, so they look authentic ov the time. I think the Chippewas are a reinterpretation because his are a bit more chunky.