Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Greetings,

Just dropped off two pairs (Redwing steel toe black engineers and a 16 year-old pair of Georgia loggers) of boots at Fukurojuku in Minami Senju. Really impressed with the work on hand as well as their hospitality. After completing the specifics of my order, I was invited out to lunch and had soba with the proprietor and his wife.

Two months to complete, but it will certainly be worth the wait.

Oh yeah, he had a sic 1980 HD shovel head out front. Unknown miles cuz the odometer fell of while riding a couple years ago... haha.

I ordered a pair of Red Wing GTs and they should be here in a few days. If they fit, everything is tits and I'll be happy. If they are too large (a measurably small possibility), I'm sending 'em back. I'm not sure if I would exchange them for another size, as I really shouldn't have bought anything for $230 dollars (poor college kid in need of books and all). What I want to know is if there are any similar boots that are worth buying for under $200 bucks? I'm looking for a low-profile lace-up 6 inch boot with a leather midsole, and I would prefer a sole without giant lugs.

thats cool you could hang out with the master of cobblers. I'll be picking up my boots at his place later this year.

coleslawyum, love your boot collection, since the real mccoys are a bit pricey for me im planning some modifications on a pair of red wings that ill be buying to make them look similar to the mccoys pair. not exactly the same stuff but itll be close enough

and those Julans from ed and onehundy are amazing, too bad they are so expensive

Thanks SLAB. Don't worry about it, when you head out to visit Takeshi-san's shop, he'll treat you right. Great customer service and all around great guy. His wife is a sweetheart too.

When I bought the McCoy's the yen was a lot better against the dollar, but I can't wait to see what you do with your RW's.

Looking into getting a pair of Chippewa steel toe engineer boots and sending them to get resoled by takeshi-san ( sorry coleslawyum, didn't mean to copy your style but the chippewas look so damn nice!), do they run about the same size as the Wesco Boss? I am getting mixed reviews from different shoe stores. Some say they run half a size bigger and others say they are about the same, can someone clarify for me?

Btw, these Julians look like a total ripoff of SDs:

IMG178.jpg

I think there is very little ingenuity left in bootmaking. The semidress style boot has been done by many different companies over the years.

Had a couple requests for a White's family pic...and figured I would do a fully family pic while I was at it.

whitesj.jpg

L-R:

White's Semi-Dress cap toes in brown dress leather, double leather soles

White's Semi-Dress in brown chomexcel, single leather sole, close trim, block heel.

White's Farmer/Rancher in roughout

White's Smokejumper in roughout with a couple coats of Obenauf's (my winter boots)

Then the whole family:

bootsxq.jpg

L-R, back to front:

White's SD, White's SD, White's F/R, White's SJ

Alden Indy, Alden x Context Roy, Alden x Context #8 Tankers

Alden x Context black calf tankers, Russell chukkas.

So, as you can see...I have a boot problem...I just can't help myself.

Looking into getting a pair of Chippewa steel toe engineer boots and sending them to get resoled by takeshi-san ( sorry coleslawyum, didn't mean to copy your style but the chippewas look so damn nice!), do they run about the same size as the Wesco Boss? I am getting mixed reviews from different shoe stores. Some say they run half a size bigger and others say they are about the same, can someone clarify for me?

Wesco's have more arch support than Chippewas, but sizing wise they are the same. Chippewas feel a touch bigger because they have thinner leather and have a less significant insole. I wear the same in both.

Looking forward to your new boots!

Wesco's have more arch support than Chippewas, but sizing wise they are the same. Chippewas feel a touch bigger because they have thinner leather and have a less significant insole. I wear the same in both.

Looking forward to your new boots!

Thanks Coleslaw, can't rep anymore!

Just talked to Chan from Ultrasound, he is checking and see if he is able to get me a pair with the block heel, but it's more expensive than Baker's and not to mention the insane shipping cost......if he is unable to get me a pair with block heel, i'm gonna order it from Baker's instead, much cheaper and less hustle.

Wwiiimpressions.com makes some cool boots for under 200. And the Chippewa boots for LLbean- the khatadhin(sp?) those are pretty good.

I like the roughouts from wwiiimpressions, but it seemed like the consensus from everyone's experience is that customer service is rough and there is a tremendous wait for most sizes. I can't make it through any more of this winter in topsiders. :(

I've been looking at Chippewa's too, including the Bean's Katahdin, but I can't find anything appropriate with leather that can take a polish. I don't need to have shoes that I can dress up appropriately, but I hate how the nubuck-y looking leather scratches and looks dull, rather than brilliant when worn in. I appreciate the suggestions though! I'm just being picky because I don't want to be tempted to buy any other "lifetime" boots until I am making some good bank.