Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Wow! They look great. Not so stingy either.

Btw, are those gooodyear welted?

Fresco knows about this, it's a slightly unusual technology (some parts crewed on?) but they should be easy to resole .

Devlish, can't wait to see your pair.

p1080784copybig.jpg

I think the WW1 roughout looks pretty good, too. I also love how these have a subtly different shape that tells you they're english... altho I like my grafters, I'd rather have that Derby boot for £30 more.

p1080749copybig.jpg

Shined these mother fuckers up. I also got a little black paint on em. Damn you graffiti!

1778b405.jpg

Anyone have experience with Church's English Shoes?

http://www.church-footwear.com/

i've owned their Chelsea boots. I don't think they're on the level of the other Northampton footwear on here. Thery're more a high street brand who spend their money on big outlets on Regent St etc. I would certainly bow to Fre$co's knowledge, but I don't think Church's come anywhere near Tricker's, for instance.

and thanks mike

these are more or right around the price of japanese white's HH. holy shit these are pricey

http://store.unionlosangeles.com/products/brogue-boots

BTW - I remembered from back when I was looking at White's - The last that is built without the Archease is the Northwest Last.

They can built smoke jumpers, etc on this last. And I think Baker's does some White's boots on this last, standard - but they look a little different that the typical White's boot.

At one stage, Church's were the best Northhampton manufacturer...then they were bought out by Prada .

Nuff said.

I have a pair of Church's I bought in about '93 (my first pair of good shoes), and they are extremely high quality. Not on a par with todays Edward Green's, but very good. The current products are generally not at the top end of the market quality-wise, and are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a whole lot more shoe for the same amount of money elsewhere IMO.

Fresco knows about this, it's a slightly unusual technology (some parts crewed on?) but they should be easy to resole .

They are not goodyear welted. They are of brass screw construction (like some RM Williams, I believe). If I remember, this is an older method of construction and is resole-able.

I don't think this is the case for all of their boots but certainly the ones Paul posted. They are pretty awesome looking to me and I would certainly have a pair already if they made half sizes, but I will bite the bullet soon enough anyway.

At one stage, Church's were the best Northhampton manufacturer...then they were bought out by Prada .

Nuff said.

I have a pair of Church's I bought in about '93 (my first pair of good shoes), and they are extremely high quality. Not on a par with todays Edward Green's, but very good. The current products are generally not at the top end of the market quality-wise, and are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a whole lot more shoe for the same amount of money elsewhere IMO.

This is true. I'd go with C&J over church's any day.

Don't get me wrong, church's are nice but they are priced as if they are REALLY nice.

As far as Trickers are concerned, personally I think they make superb country boots/shoes but for anything dressier I'd go with C&J.

Ok, so I stumbled upon this pic. What s it? Julian?

The look so badaaaass!

img2412s.jpg

looks like one of the patinaboots.not sure if they ever went into production.Kiya should know whats the deal with them.

Sure does...looks exactly like one of the patina boots as a matter of fact.

patina_04.jpg

I thought Julian was going to make the Patina boots, but something didn't work out? I could be wrong, though...

wait, tmadd, are you guys actually selling Patina boots?

No...those are old old old photos...

I edited the previous post down for sake of clarity, just wanted it to be perfectly clear that with the exception of the unorthodox shape of the heel counter on the Patina model those appear to be the exact same boot.

IIRC, the original press on Patina said they were going to work with White's and/or Wesco on some models.

I asked Kiya about Patina in the SelfEdge thread (here or the other place) and he said that it was dead, but some of their designs had been used by other companies including RRL - if Julian is doing the RRL boots, I'd guess they started out as a Patina design that he was going to make.

I am looking at either some red wing iron rangers or wolverine 1000 mile montgomery boots. I tried the wolverine and they seemed solid. Havent yet tried the red wings yet but I will tomorrow. They are both similar look and price I believe. I was wondering how the grip of the iron rangers would be for a snowy icy winter?. The wolverines have treads. The other thing I was thinking is that redwing has been making their boot longer than the new 1000 mile model. I would probably put sno seal on them. I would be wearing them everyday. I was gonna buy shitty boots for 150$ that would only last 1 winter so I figured I might as well get 325$ that will last me at least a few years.

opinions?

Iron Rangers can be had for 240 from bakershoe.com and the Wolverine Montgomery's can be had for around 240 as well elsewhere. Both are available for well under 325.

I am looking at either some red wing iron rangers or wolverine 1000 mile montgomery boots. I tried the wolverine and they seemed solid. Havent yet tried the red wings yet but I will tomorrow. They are both similar look and price I believe. I was wondering how the grip of the iron rangers would be for a snowy icy winter?. The wolverines have treads. The other thing I was thinking is that redwing has been making their boot longer than the new 1000 mile model. I would probably put sno seal on them. I would be wearing them everyday. I was gonna buy shitty boots for 150$ that would only last 1 winter so I figured I might as well get 325$ that will last me at least a few years.

opinions?

I found a pair of used 1000 Montgomery's in a size 12. I didn't like them at all... They felt really flimsy and they are made in china.

They felt like a pair of sneakers in weight. I guess I'm used to Alden and Wesco, but that style of wolverines I'd avoid.

I go with the Red Wings hands down.

At the Front sells made in China versions http://www.atthefront.com/us/footwear/roughoutshoes.html

WWII Impressions sells US made versions but most sizes are out of stock - http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/newusarmyroughout.html

I bought a pair from At The Front. If I bought them again I'd probably get the US Made version.

can anyone give me a few reliable online retailers for army rough-out boots that they've dealt with before

fresco, any sizing advice regarding the William Lennon boots compared to Alden/Whites/Red Wing?

much appreciated

I wish I knew more. I know they come up fairly wide and work boot like in sizing. I am an 8 1/2 (UK) in Trickers and with discussion with their factory, couldn't decide on an 8 or 9.

I'll give them a call this week and try to figure something out.

Red Wing GTs for sale. Size 10 US. Barely wore these and I am cleaning house so they gotta go. More pics in my sales thread.

$200 shipped anywhere North America free.

photo5.JPG

not sure if its the language barrier,but in my sense those look heavily worn,or did you something brutal to the leather???