Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I owned (and sold) a pair of black and red ones and have to say that these are SOOOOOO very comfortable. They look awesome with redline jeans. I don't regeret getting rid of them because at the time they contributed to over fifteen Engineer Boots (I'm down to about six or so) and they just sat in line forever.

I highly recommend them! :)

i am strangely attracted to these

erez.jpg

ok i need some help.... ive never had leather boots before so i kopped a 10.5 and 11 in wolverine 1000 mile boots...

i am kinda lost as to which size is better for me... i normally wear 11- 11.5 in sneaks athe instep and the sides of the toes but the 11s are alittle long for me.. (fnd 10.5 in chucks but in these the 10.5 is alitte snug in eels like it anyways)

what do you guys think i should keep? im so ambivalent

For me I want a snug fit in the heel with a little room in the toes. If the 11s feel ok in the heel and your toes don't slide around in the toe box I say go with the 11s. For me having a tight instep is super uncomfortable and you'll hate your boots/feet after wearing them.

I really love Alden and workboots and workboots by Alden. But I hope that this doesn't become the "Alden & Boots" thread. Surely people wear shoes besides these?

Being a poor workingman, I don't wear anything but boots, really (or else I would put my money where my mouth is). Although I do need to buy some shoes to wear for my brother's wedding. Any non-wingtip suggestions are welcome!

I'm totally not criticizing all of the boots and Alden shoes, and I'm definitely not calling out anyone in particular. I just think this thread could use some biodiversity.

Fallen Angels, both my red and black pairs were size 8 and I had thick (running shoe) insoles and they had a little more wiggle room than I expected out of Chippwa brand boots; however, this is what made these feel soooo comfortable. I loved walking the dogs with them. I guess I could've done a 7.5. Wish I didn't sell 'em, but they'd probably still be sitting alone and unafraid in my closet, though.

. I just think this thread could use some biodiversity.

If you look throughout this thread, there are plenty of people wearing different shoes out there. Only recently there seems to be a larger focus on work boots and Alden's. Unfortunately if you want to talk about shoemakers in the USA, there's only a handful.

If you're looking for a mid priced shoe, I would recommend any of the English brands like C&J, Alfred Sargent, Tricker's or Grenson. Edward Green and John Lobb might be too pricey.

here is a little DIY project, I stripped off the super dark brown edge dressing on a pair of Alden dress shoes using cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol. then I applied a coat of kiwi wax (forgot if it was brown color or neutral). It gives the shoes a more natural look IMO and easy to do.

here are the results (the other pair is how the wingtips looked before I altered them)

Library-2557.jpg

Library-2559.jpg

Anyone liking the up and coming Yuketen F/W Maine Guide Boot??

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/2/0/20-08-2010_yuketen_maineguide_large.jpg

Price is high but they look nice...

That has an interesting construction. Apparently it's a hybrid where the upper is done like a traditional moccasin, but the boot also has a goodyear welt. The idea is you get the comfort of a mocc with the toughness and repairability you get from having a welted sole.

I really love Alden and workboots and workboots by Alden. But I hope that this doesn't become the "Alden & Boots" thread. Surely people wear shoes besides these?

Being a poor workingman, I don't wear anything but boots, really (or else I would put my money where my mouth is). Although I do need to buy some shoes to wear for my brother's wedding. Any non-wingtip suggestions are welcome!

I'm totally not criticizing all of the boots and Alden shoes, and I'm definitely not calling out anyone in particular. I just think this thread could use some biodiversity.

i know Aldens are a bit pricey, but i don't buy a lot of shoes, really. but, when i do, i tend to pick a more classic pair that i can use [& most importantly] enjoy for some years]. so, instead of getting something "awesome" and then push them aside [w/ the others] after a year or so of use, i hold back my shopping enthusiasm & channel them to a singular acquisition at a time.

of course, that's coming from [my economics] point of view. but, i def respect your point of view.

Just copped these two pair of Paul Smiths

1st pair, Paul Smith Chief, Tan Dip Dyed

leather is very very soft, it's very comfortable, it should look great after it ages

web.jpg?ver=12823534700001

2nd pair, Paul Smith Starr Lime Green Dip Dyed

Soft Leather, Dip Dyed, Classic Starr style..

but I do need some help, how should I wear these shoes.. as in, how do I pull of green shoes.. let alone lime green

web.jpg?ver=12823534730001

from what im readin off the internetz... its good to have alittle bit of heel slip in boots when you first get them right?

i am reading that off of hiking boot sites though...

When I bought my boots the salesman said heal slip isn't as big of a deal since they have inserts if its a huge problem, but then again he was trying to sell me a pair of boots

Good looking boots! The 1000 mile really fits my eye very well but they don't fit my feet well unfortunately. Tried a pair once and the length and width were good but the sides came all the way together around the ankle and they were still loose...damn my skinny ankles.

It's been a minute! I noticed that not too many girls post in here, and even fewer have Aldens - except for beatle - yay! :)

Anyways, here are my 4 year old cigar Indy's, resoled with Cat's Paws after a couple of years wear:

p1020662version2.jpg

p1020668version2.jpg

p1020665version2.jpg

I also figured you would enjoy seeing these - Viberg oxfords that I bought for my bf:

p1020655version2.jpg

p1020657version2.jpg

p1020656version2.jpg

p1020661version2.jpg

Sadly they are too small for him (they're a size 8) so I will be returning them to Viberg on Monday. They were the only oxfords in this size, so if anyone is interested, I can let them go for $350 plus shipping - PM me :) .