Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

looking at all these great old Herman's only makes their current state more painful.

Random Herman story: A friend of mine who grew up in a verrrrry small town in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont told me that in her highschool gym (which had recently gotten a brand new floor) there was a gigantic sign, maybe 10'x30' hanging on a wall that read:

"NO HERMANS IN THE GYM."

Apparently every highschool boy in the town had a pair of Hermans and they were notorious for scuffing and marking up the floors of the school. The ban on Hermans in the gym didn't go over too well and there was brief talk of banning them from the entire school... which went over even less well.

For the millionth fucking time:

One of my friends from England had on a pair of shoes that were beautiful. You could tell that they've been broken in over years. He had polished them impeccably and they looked great with a pair of worn jeans. They were that burgundy color with the dark creases, maybe you know what I'm talking about.

So, I want a pair of shoes or boots that will age like this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, no sneakers please. Thanks.

I just got these in the mail from eBay, cheap. They were sold as Yuketen samples (and indeed they look like a cross between Yuk's munson shoes and officer boots from last fall). They don't have any logos or names, though, and no insole. I think they are a little too much boot for my candy ass - if anyone wants them, they can take 'em at my cost. Labeled a 12EE, made in USA, but fit like a standard 12 on the munson last.

img1011q.jpg

img1012d.jpg

img1014t.jpg

Does anyone do a solid re-soling job in the San Francisco Bay Area? I don't need anything crazy, I'd just like a vibram sole put on my White's. Need to replace the current sole because they're getting pretty thin and I'll be wearing them while I travel for a month.

thanks cheap, if you get a chance it'd be cool to see what your Hermans look like. My dad worked highway construction back in the 60's and still has his old Herman boots somewhere.

lovely hermans crownzip... i really love the ropers i have by them.... not a brand that gets much attention, but great high quality boots.

i wonder how long they ran with that tag... my boots are from the 60s i think, and have the exact same tag, and ive seen WWII us mil boots made by them with it too.

dscf5622.jpg

Does anyone do a solid re-soling job in the San Francisco Bay Area? I don't need anything crazy, I'd just like a vibram sole put on my White's. Need to replace the current sole because they're getting pretty thin and I'll be wearing them while I travel for a month.

I've had good work done at Anthony's on Geary and Market.

I wanted to put a double leather sole on some suede chukkas and he did a great job. Can't speak about Vibrams, but I'm fairly sure they will do it and I've always felt good about their service.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/anthonys-shoe-service-san-francisco

Here's a pair of Herman boots probably from the 40's-50's. The leather uppers are a beautiful russet horsehide mounted on cork soles. I've always really liked the embroidered Herman labels. Wouldn't it be cool if someone made boots like this for the working man today.

bootsI-1.jpg

bootsIII-1.jpg

bootlabel.jpg

spiderman_came.jpg

those cork soles look great. maybe when I resole...

Has anyone bought or tried on the Dry Bones brogue boots, I was looking to gain more insight on their sizing, I k ow they run a size and a half bigger. So I was wondering if anyone could reference a size in aldens or even simply a pair of vans, a common shoe. Any info would be much appreciated.

Went to the Alden store on Madison Ave - they are out of almost everything cordovan until the end of October - that being said, they had a pair of cigar Indies that I'm considering the hell out of.

Went to the Alden store on Madison Ave - they are out of almost everything cordovan until the end of October - that being said, they had a pair of cigar Indies that I'm considering the hell out of.

is it just me, or is the madison ave store sort of a letdown? i went there to get sized before ordering from shoemart.com (no, i don't feel bad, alden still ends up with my money) and they had only the standard lasts and a very limited selection to see in person. also the guy who was working there was nice enough, but didn't seem to be an expert on the last options or sizing.

i'm thinking that moulded shoe http://mouldedshoe.com/ might be a better place to shop for aldens if you really want an expert opinion.

^I'll back up that opinion on the Madison shop...Friendly enough but when it comes down to it they helped me into the wrong size because they didn't have the next size up...I could also blame my eagerness to buy such a beautiful shoe, however...

re: the madison alden store:

they are definitely awesome, and I was going there to look for sizing and to get an idea of the differences between lasts and see what some of the cordovan boots look like. they have 2 main failing points - not enough stock (as evidenced by the fact that they are waiting for a shipment in october) and (this is more of a sufu concern) no custom make-ups, they seem to just have vanilla alden offerings.

My other complaint regarding this store is that the guys there don't really seem to live and breathe shoes; the guy helping me didn't even say anything about the fact that the boots I tried on were cigar which is rare, and seemed happier to just be on the phone than helping me.

thanks cheap, if you get a chance it'd be cool to see what your Hermans look like. My dad worked highway construction back in the 60's and still has his old Herman boots somewhere.

here ya go...

dscf6404.jpg

my father in law worked highway and bridge construction from the 60s till... well... when his court cases aginst the 2 last states he worked in end... and said that back in the 60s and 70s the only boots he wore were herman and red wing. anything less and youd be laughed off the job site.

i work in it now, and 99% of the people on my site wear the cheapest boots from walmart. only other person besides me in redwings is our superintendent.

Those Iron Rangers look fantastic, Doc! I've been looking for some vintage style boots, preferably cap toe without a super clunky sole, and I think I've settled on these for an affordable option. Typical size down one full size with these?

Typical size down one full size with these?

Not for me. Lengthwise one size down would have worked for me, but the Iron Rangers feel somewhat more narrow for me so I stayed true to size. My toes are nowhere near the tip of the boots but they are enormousky comfortable.

On a side note: mine were looking pretty much like Doc's but then I went to two openair festivals with floodlike rain and I had to literally soak them each time to get all the muck off and now a lot of the patina is gone... May post pics tomorrow.

I second that - I didn't size down, and I am happy I didn't. I wound up getting a pair of "seconds" for $85. They have a few blemishes (three on one boot, two on the other), but the leather is sound, I am going to probably water proof them for winter wear this fall.

^Thanks guys. How about the At The Front Service Boots? Can anyone comment on the quality?

us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg

New acquisition: Grenson Archie Heavy Brogues.

Will resize as soon as Photobucket stops playing tricks on me.

IMG_8142.jpg

Side view with triple leather sole.

IMG_8148.jpg

Despite the sole construction they are extremely comfortable. Bought on saturday and worn all day long sightseeing in London on sunday. Pics are after one day of serious wear.

My feet felt great in the evening. Will post updates soon as they are somewhat worn in.

^Thanks guys. How about the At The Front Service Boots? Can anyone comment on the quality?

I don't know about ATF, but the ones from wwiiimpressions were really good, I had them for years.

Hi Zissou, like our friends here i didnt size down on my 8113. and i am glad i didnt.

im 6"2 and most of the time im 11

i dig the sole of those ATF boots btw

is it just me, or is the madison ave store sort of a letdown? i went there to get sized before ordering from shoemart.com (no, i don't feel bad, alden still ends up with my money) and they had only the standard lasts and a very limited selection to see in person. also the guy who was working there was nice enough, but didn't seem to be an expert on the last options or sizing.

i'm thinking that moulded shoe http://mouldedshoe.com/ might be a better place to shop for aldens if you really want an expert opinion.

The Moulded Shoe guys are all about fit - They specialize in orthopedic shoes and custom modifications. The majority of their Alden Stock is on the Footbalance Line - with the Modified Last being their favorite. They do carry other Alden Lasts - and some shoes / boots in Shell Cordovan. I would highly recommend giving them a try. Ask for Ronnie...