Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

x35p9g.jpg

Wow those are nice

Ditto. I have been waiting to see them since tmadd mentioned them to me. Definitely excited about some natural light pics. I really want to get a pair but I want to get a chance to see the different leathers in person first.

First off, wanted to introduce myself. Been checking out this forum - some very cool stuff.

I'm a huge fan of Alden Modified Last - have problem feet, thick orthotic and for a long-time, I couldn't find shoes & boots that fit. Been buying shoes from Moulded Shoe in NYC for a few years now - all on the Modified Last.

The Anatomica and Japanese Models I've seen on here are awesome - boots in particular. The European / Japanese Models are just more stylish and come in Shell Cordovan - but they are very expensive. Moulded is doing a special run of INDY Boots on the Modified Last. I just put a deposit down on them - should be in early next year (yes, it takes 6 months).

I've been very happy with the guys at Moulded - it's a quirky place, but they have the best selection of Modified Last in the US and have made an effort to add some variety to the mix. Right now, I have a pair of brown medallion cap-toe boots in calf and a bunch of dress shoes. I use them for resole, new heels, etc.

I'd love to pickup a pair of shoes or boots from Anatomica in Paris - but Mssr. Fournier doesn't carry EEE width (I wear 9.5EEE). I would probably need to speak with those guys face-to-face in Paris before I would drop 600 Euros on a pair of boots that he would need to special-order in my size. I would love a pair of the Cap-toe boots in Black or #8 Shell Cordovan - they look awesome and age well. Has anyone done a special order thru Anatomica? Thanks, Mike147

Just got my Red Wing 9011's from Cultizm and jeeze they're tight! Bought them in the same size as my 8138's, and lengthwise there's no issue at all. Leather do stretch, I know, but this is like wearing a pair of skates....

Anyone experienced the same thing, endured and came out of it without being an amputee? Do they stretch enough or is it better to return them for half a size bigger, hoping for more space sideways? Don't want to go from skates to skis though...:o

Just got my Red Wing 9011's from Cultizm and jeeze they're tight! Bought them in the same size as my 8138's, and lengthwise there's no issue at all. Leather do stretch, I know, but this is like wearing a pair of skates....

Anyone experienced the same thing, endured and came out of it without being an amputee? Do they stretch enough or is it better to return them for half a size bigger, hoping for more space sideways? Don't want to go from skates to skis though...:o

The Red Wing number 8 last is rather narrow and long. I have a pair of 1907s and 1909s and the 1909s are much narrower and about half an inch longer in the same size (11.5D). I think the only reason I was able to wear my 1909s was because I purchased them used so someone had already stretched out the leather a bit. But I find my pair is almost too long in size 11.5D, so I'm not sure if I'd suggest sizing up. I purchased the 8181s recently but ended up returning them because they were too narrow (same number 8 last). The Iron Ranger is also on the same last but it comes in EE, so that's alternative option if you like that style. I know if I ever buy another pair on the 8 last it's going to be EE width and probably a size down in length.

Those trickers have been on my radar for a while now. They look beautiful.

Jstavrin - Those look great, the leather looks different to mine for some reason. So did you get those brown flat laces with them? I got leather boot laces and yellow workboot type laces with mine. It's weird how the same boots can end up so different looking.

I got those laces too, but I'm using the laces that came with my Indy boots.

The leather looks different because the guys at Baker allegedly took off the wax that gives the "brown smooth" its dull look (by my request), but it looks like they only did it to the toe.

On the subject of Tricker's, I'm after a bit of sizing advice if anyone could help.

How should I go about sizing the Country boots, specifically the Stow? I was going to get a UK 8, as that is the size I have in the Tricker's Henley shoe, but I remember hearing somewhere that the Country shoes and boots are sized a little more generously. Can anyone confirm this?

The only thing I don't get about White's Boots is the heel. Just seems a little formal / feminine to me. Doesn't match up with the reality of what these boots are all about (rugged, hard-wearing, etc).

I've seen some be-spoke men's shoes made with the same type of heel. Anyone have some info on the type of heel they use? What's the story / history behind it?

does anyone have experiences with the Sugarcane/ Lone Wolf Mechanic boots (any of thier other boots for that matter)?

i do what do you want to knwo about them? i posted pics in this thread a long time ago pls search and just ask me what you want to know

The heel on White's boots is probably THE most important and distinguishing feature. The "reality of what these boots are all about" is functional footwear for men who work on their feet all day (e.g. firemen, loggers, construction workers, ranchers). They are designed to more appropriately distribute the weight of the upper body to the weight bearing bones of the legs and improve arch support, per White's patented Arch Ease. I doubt you would describe most of the guys who have been wearing these boots for years as "feminine."

The heel on White's boots is probably THE most important and distinguishing feature. The "reality of what these boots are all about" is functional footwear for men who work on their feet all day (e.g. firemen, loggers, construction workers, ranchers). They are designed to more appropriately distribute the weight of the upper body to the weight bearing bones of the legs and improve arch support, per White's patented Arch Ease. I doubt you would describe most of the guys who have been wearing these boots for years as "feminine."

great 1st post. +rep

The only thing I don't get about White's Boots is the heel. Just seems a little formal / feminine to me. Doesn't match up with the reality of what these boots are all about (rugged, hard-wearing, etc).

I've seen some be-spoke men's shoes made with the same type of heel. Anyone have some info on the type of heel they use? What's the story / history behind it?

It's called a logger heel. It does "match up" for what these boots are all about: Cutting down trees with a huge chainsaw all day every day, and making sure it doesn't fall on you. Or just working your ass off on your feet every damn day. Wescos, and many (most?) of the best work boots in the world, have a similar heel.

The heel functions well. I assure you, after breaking a pair of White's in and wearing them and seeing how your feet never hurt, and your back never hurts, even after standing in them all day, you will understand.

Who decides what's feminine, by the way? George Washington wore tights. Cowboys and every guy in Texas wear cowboy boots with an even higher heel. And Clint Eastwood too.

It's called a logger heel. It does "match up" for what these boots are all about: Cutting down trees with a huge chainsaw all day every day, and making sure it doesn't fall on you. Or just working your ass off on your feet every damn day. Wescos, and many (most?) of the best work boots in the world, have a similar heel.

The heel functions well. I assure you, after breaking a pair of White's in and wearing them and seeing how your feet never hurt, and your back never hurts, even after standing in them all day, you will understand.

Who decides what's feminine, by the way? George Washington wore tights. Cowboys and every guy in Texas wear cowboy boots with an even higher heel. And Clint Eastwood too.

+rep

This makes sense. My job isn't exactly rugged (I'm a barback at a coffee shop), but upon switching to my Bounty Hunters from my Red Wings there was a huge change in my comfort. Since I'm on my feet all day, usually hunched over--my lower back, feet, and toes are usually pretty sore. That all went away once I started wearing White's.

good shit jstarvin i work all day in a construction site ( non labor) but im always standing up always attending to something checking something.. the only time i sit donw is when i eat or in a meeting white's really help. i walked like 500 kilometers in tokyo wearing my bounty hunters it didnt hurt a bit except for some blisters

Not sure if you have ever worn, or seen White's being worn, but there is a pretty outstanding difference between what the heel appears to look like in pictures, and how it looks like in person/use.