Pure Blue Jeans XX-005

ianpalermo

i'm a total noob at japanese denim...so and im wondering how the pbj xx005's fit...ive read thru much of this forum but am still unsure and im itchin to pull the trigger on a pair soon from BiG

ive read some measurements....knee/leg opening...which leads me to believe they're slim but not tight...but some ppl here make em seem real tight

can anyone compare the fit to the following jeans:

earnest sewn fultons

acne mic

nudies bootcut ola

im about 5'8, 150..wear size 31 in the sewns, acne, 30 in nudies...relatively skinny legs

thx

Based on that, I'd say you'd be straight with a size 30. I'm 5'11 160 and wear a 30 which is a little too snug, so it would probably work out for you pretty well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saucemaster on styleforum was advised by gordon to size down if i recall. These aren't stretchy jeans but they will if they need to like any jeans. You certainly do not have to as these are tight as hell to begin with. However, it's possible to size down, especially if you're in between sizes. Some people are true 32s or maybe 32.3ish. I'm always in between 31 and 32 for a true size so it's hard for me. I tried on some stuff at BiG and couldn't tell at the moment because i had recently lost weight. I might give it a try in a month.

a good rule of thumb is to get your size. in my opinion, there are only a few cases where you should get a different size. 1) if you have extremely athletic thighs or wide hips. but judging form the pictures i see on here, that's not the case for 99% of the people on here. 2) you are very, very, very slim. in that case, sizing down might be appropriate.

it's also a good idea to look at the measurements that gordon listed to get an idea of how things would fit. that means breaking out the tape measure.

another thing to consider is if you are going to soak/wash or not. usually, no soaking = size down. soaking = get regular size.

i hope this makes sense...

p.s. as long as you don't hem them, you can send them back to BiG for an exchange, so it's kinda risk free...

A little question...

Looking at early photos of these being worn, they look ever so slightly bootcut... Is that a combination of the unusually tight thigh and stacking which creates that look? I really don't like it when straight leg jeans do that. :(

I love the slubbiness of these and they would be perfect. Is it just the photos which are making them look slightly bootcut? Are they like that in person? Would that be taken care of if they were hemmed?

Thanks! :)

A little question...

Looking at early photos of these being worn, they look ever so slightly bootcut... Is that a combination of the unusually tight thigh and stacking which creates that look? I really don't like it when straight leg jeans do that. :(

I love the slubbiness of these and they would be perfect. Is it just the photos which are making them look slightly bootcut? Are they like that in person? Would that be taken care of if they were hemmed?

Thanks! :)

I think you're correct on that. I had a couple inches taken off mine and I keep debating whether to hem them more.

They do seem to have a slight bootcut. Previously on BiG's website, they had measurements for the XX-005s that showed the hem being .5" wider than the knee, which would give them a slight bootcut. However, the measuremens that are up now show the knee and the hem being the same size, which I'm not so sure is correct.

To avoid the bootcut look, you can either cuff or hem your jeans. By cuffing them even ever so slightly, the jeans look much more like a straight leg. I wear my black PBJs with a small cuff when I wear black shoes to break up the monotony a bit, and they certainly seem more straightlegged to me than when I don't cuff them.

i seem to remember someone saying that x-005's are actually ever so slightly bootcut, I think they are, if I fold the leg back there is maybe just under a cm difference between the hem and knee, although mine havent been washed for a while so this isnt the fairest verdict, they may have stretched around the foot. I do really like the cut though, as long as your not too chunky I think its extremely flattering. Cetainly has a subtle lengthening effect on ones sillouette.

when you fold back the leg of the pbj xx-005 when raw, it's a straight leg from the knee down. when you fold it back after wearing it, the wrinkles behind the knee bring it in around there, so it angles out toward the hem--like a slight bootcut.

however, the more you wash it (i've washed mine 3 times now), the leg opening gets smaller and smaller due to shrinking--but the knee area will remain the same due to stretching. after a couple washes it becomes closer to a complete straight leg.

the funny thing is that with straight legged, slim jeans it always looks slightly bootcut below the knees - often the legs need to be tapered slightly to give the illusion of a straightleg. has anyone else found this to be true?

Exactly. My Fullcounts and 103's have a taper and look perfectly straight.

As in the Skulls or NS have the slight bootcut?

skulls (5010XX) are straight legged, while the NS is tapered about an inch measured across when laid flat, from knee to leg opening.

when you fold back the leg of the pbj xx-005 when raw, it's a straight leg from the knee down. when you fold it back after wearing it, the wrinkles behind the knee bring it in around there, so it angles out toward the hem--like a slight bootcut.

however, the more you wash it (i've washed mine 3 times now), the leg opening gets smaller and smaller due to shrinking--but the knee area will remain the same due to stretching. after a couple washes it becomes closer to a complete straight leg.

i hadn't thought about this, good point. in this case having a chainstitched hem could actually naturally taper your jeans (very slightly) through a wash?