Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

Be careful with sizing of Levi's jeans. Is is always a lottery (even among the same batch).

And notice: european version is not the same cut as american version.

I bought 2 pairs 32/36. One was extremally tight, and the second one - too baggy for me.

Both had the same code, month and year of production.

• 1 month later...

I have a quick question regarding the regular 501 STF.

do they measure tag size when raw and will shrink from tag size? do all stf run the same, not matter what fabric?

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEVIS-501-Men-Jeans-Natural-Dark-Tan-Shrink-To-Fit-Straight-Leg-Button-Fly-/170775678745?pt=US_CSA_MC_Jeans&vti=Bottoms+Size+%28Men%27s%29%0934&hash=item6d727b8a87

^ with the few pairs i've had it seems they are meant to shrink to tagged size. I've been a 33-34 waist for the past few years and I've bought 3 pairs of STF at various price points and i've always chosen a 30 raw. I didn't measure them raw, but I'm guessing they were around 32 at the waist when new, as they were always a little snug. I never intended to wash them, but it never worked out that way, and only one of the pairs had enough stretch to fit after washing. I'm not sure about the pair you linked to as I've only ever purchased the normal blue jeans.

• 2 weeks later...

So after dabbling in super expensive denim, I rediscovered some "dark green" 501 STFs at a thrift store and realized how fucking phenomenal the fit is on these.

However, I've got a silly question: Will these $54 STFs produce the typical denim fades (honeycombs etc.)?

I've had my 501s about 6 months now and soaked them for the 4th time. I'd post pics but my iPhone plus bad lighting means terrible shots. Question - soaking vs washing, pros and cons. U

They're definitely starting to lose their shape and I can feel and see the fabric breaking down. Gettig fades everywhere but the honeycombs. Fit is perfect - maybe a touch baggy. Almost time to start seriously working on my new pair, maybe get some more time in my sands too

^ not sure if srs, but yes it will fade like any other denim with wear.

Well that's awesome then. Contrast fades and a great fit for less than 60 bucks, I'm sold. I guess the only reason I asked is because they also sell this pair (http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10948887&&cp=3146842.3146845.3692014.4305602) which are way more expensive so I wasn't sure if people in this thread are buying that version or the cheaper versions and getting good results.

Anyone know exactly how long a 34 leg in these is? I'm 6'4 and the only wash that have a 36 leg seems to be the regular indigo ones, and I'd really like a pair in black and a pair of knights, will a 34 come up too short after shrinking? If that's the case really seems like Levis are making a mistake, all the new washes only go up to 34 leg which won't be much use to anyone over about 6 foot tall.

The regular line STFs are tagged true. 30x34 tagged is 30x34 actual(give/take an inch on floor pairs), they only get smaller from there.

Probably come up too short then if they lose 2 inches during shrinkage. Though saying that I had to get my 32x34 514s taken up an inch and a bit because they were so long, if these are similar length they might come out ok.

damn sizing is spotty on these. picked up a pair of green stfs 29x32 and the length is perfect after a hot soak. then i decided to grab some new knights 29x32 and they barely touch my shoes after a soak. Oh well, gonna wear these badboys til they fall apart anyway

Posted · Hidden by TheCaptain, March 30, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by TheCaptain, March 30, 2012 - No reason given

Wow those look amazing, I hope mine turn out as nice as those. My STFs are only 2months ago atm with 2 soaks, still got awhile to go

These look amazing!