Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

30 if you're going to wear them in the tub when you do a shrink. I waited one month on my pair before shrinking them as they would just be way too tight if I tried to shrink them immediately. For me, I bought the tightest pair that I could possibly manage to button up. If you try them on, that's what you should be shooting for if you want them to fit anywhere near the 511s.

31 if you are just going to shrink them without wearing. You don't want them to shrink past your body, so sizing down too far could be an issue.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by jyoni, November 28, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by jyoni, November 28, 2011 - No reason given

I've had a pair of 501 STF's that I've been wearing since last xmas. They are coming along but as I have to wear business attire during the work week, they just don't get worn as much as I'd like. Additionally, I went TTT rather than sized down so they are looser than I'd like. I should've gone with the recs here rather than the Levi store salesperson.

I did an initial soak and they've been washed twice (at about 5 & 8 months). I always hang dry but keep wondering why the dryer is so bad. I understand that repeated washing will result in less contrast but how can the dryer on low affect the wear patterns? I figure the dryer will shrink them up a bit after weeks of stretching from wear. Snugger fit should help with developing combs and whiskers, right? Additionally, with a dryer sheet, it'll even help with the smell. What am I missing about the dryer?

Good looking jeans in here lately. I love the progress on the Knights!

Dryers are harsh on the finish of the garden-variety indigo. It's cheap dye done cheaply, piece-dyed in bolts rather than rope-dyed before weaving. Pretty much a spray-on. The heat of even a low dryer will alter the tone drastically. You'll notice the color shift from dry blue to a very bright blue instantly. Plus, with what is basically a surface application of dye, I would keep them away from any abrasive tumbling action like that.

Edited by jyoni

Alright.. i think I'm going to try to order a 31 just to be safe. Shrink them without wearing, but wear them when drying them.

First pair, so I hope they turn out well!

Thank you very much!

With that said, Id be happy to participate in a Levi STF contest if we get one started.

Alright.. i think I'm going to try to order a 31 just to be safe. Shrink them without wearing, but wear them when drying them.

First pair, so I hope they turn out well!

Thank you very much!

With that said, Id be happy to participate in a Levi STF contest if we get one started.

the best thing about STFs is the price. if you wait for sales, you can get em for ~ 30 bucks...so if they don't fit, you're not out that much

just bought a pair of brown stfs size 30/32(ttf) on sale for 10 bucks, pretty good deal i think... anyways i wanna get them to a really slim fit, so i was wondering, since there already kinda hard to button, if i should wear them in the tub for a long time to get that fit, or if i should just return them because the waste would shrink to unwearable since theyre already pretty tight?

also, if theres a contest going on i would like to partake as well, so ill hold off on the shrinking

It's up to you. I turn them inside out, put them in the tub.... after aprox 1 hour, I take them from the water, squeeze and let them dry naturally. Next day, when they are a little bit moist, I start wearing. That's it.

This is my way.

It's up to you. I turn them inside out, put them in the tub.... after aprox 1 hour, I take them from the water, squeeze and let them dry naturally. Next day, when they are a little bit moist, I start wearing. That's it.

This is my way.

alright im probably going to turn them inside out and soak them for 40 minutes and then wear to dry

any updated pics? I recently got the postal's and the BBQ's but I have too many in my rotation for a decent evo.

I've got the postals. They are a very saturated dark indigo with a black weft. They are the only jeans I own that don't look nerdy with cuffs IMO. I've been giving my Knights a break for the postals for the past month.

hey every one who wears stf's...are we going to organize this contest or not...? i have those postals still worn now only two days...like i said ill wait to wear them but.. know one is letting me know if were going to organize this contest. so I will take the initiative, if any one wants to start a STF contest lets start it the day after new yrs. STF's are going for around 25 -30 bucks on the levi's web site after use of promo coupon so if any one wants to join we could set this thing up...prizes could be discussed and we could get this thing going...start date first of the year!