Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

If you are a size 31 then Bloomindales has a 31x34 Billy Reid Levis 501. It's selvage made in USA of imported fabric. I just got these jeans and they are awesome.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=501193&CategoryID=5291

how do these fit?

I'm generally a 32 / 33...

I bought these a couple weeks ago. They have a higher rise so if you have a gut, they'll fit a size smaller than usual. If you're malnutrition or have absolutely no belly fat, you may squeeze into a smaller size.

Someone should really take some photos of these. The quality is top notch, the only perceived problem with the jeans is the "of imported fabric" label. I'll take pics of mine when I'm not busy.

If you are a size 31 then Bloomindales has a 31x34 Billy Reid Levis 501. It's selvage made in USA of imported fabric. I just got these jeans and they are awesome.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=501193&CategoryID=5291

I bought these a couple weeks ago. They have a higher rise so if you have a gut, they'll fit a size smaller than usual. If you're malnutrition or have absolutely no belly fat, you may squeeze into a smaller size.

Someone should really take some photos of these. The quality is top notch, the only perceived problem with the jeans is the "of imported fabric" label. I'll take pics of mine when I'm not busy.

Which are you referring to - the Billy Reid Levi's?

Which are you referring to - the Billy Reid Levi's?

Yeah. When they first came out, they were $230 on levis.com, which is probably fair but at that price, you may as well go for 1947 LVCs. Now that they're on clearance for $89, It's quite a bargain for the quality you get, which is unmatched on anything of the "premium" selection from Levi's recently.

Oh and I meant that if you have a gut, since the jeans sit higher, you'll probably need to go up a size.

So I compiled images together comparing Billy Reid 501's against STF Selvedge 501's that were sold in the first half of 2010. My point is to demonstrate why you should be suspicious of anything that US Levis (excluding collaborations and LVCs) that they brand as "premium." Ideally I would be comparing the latest "Made in USA" 501 vs LVC 501's but I don't have either. I think this comparison does the job though.

Fit pics:

1.jpg

Patches:

2.jpg I'm aware since late 2010, Levis has been putting on thick leather patches which I think is a welcomed improvement.

Rear Pockets:

3.jpg Notice how the Billy Reid rear pockets are reinforced with pocketing material.

Pocketing Material:

4.jpg

The Billy Reids have heavier fabric with texture. I'm not in the textile business to estimate its weight or anything more. The Levis STF 501 Selvedges have pocketing material that looks like it just barley qualifies to be used to make undershirts.

Buttons

6.jpg The BRs are copper colored on the inside whereas the STF selvedges don't have that touch. It's possible the materials are different but I don't know that much about buttons.

Hidden Rivets:

5.jpg One has them, one doesn't.

Watch pocket:

7.jpg The BRs have them, the STF selvedges don't. It's a small touch that likely tells you if the jeans were cut from the "classic" vintage pattern from a single piece of fabric. The "premium" 501 STF selvedge Levis dont have it.

Hem:

8.jpg The BR's have a faux chain stitch which I've went ahead and gotten a real one done on it, whereas the premium levis don't. Also notice how thin and vintage looking the selvedge is on the Billy Reids.

Rivets:

10.jpg

BR rivets are lined with leather.

9.jpg

The inner leg is single stitched (is that the right phrase?) on the Billy Reids.

I hope these images demonstrate that if you're on the fence about spending $178 on "Made in USA" 501's from Levis, you should just go the extra distance and get 47' LVCs. You should be suspicious of Levis US because they're incredibly gimmicky. They're out to sell high volumes at the lowest production costs. If you ask for selvedge, they'll give you just selvedge. If you ask for Made in US, they'll make it in the US at the lowest cost possible (at the expensive of quality). Levi's must get a lot of constructive criticism that asks "make more selvedge" and "make them in the US." What people really mean to say is "make them with the highest quality and craftsmanship possible." The Selvedge 501's on the right in all the images above retailed for $98 but they had the same quality as the $35 STFs. I'm afraid that if you buy the Made in USA 501's, you'll end up with the same quality as the $35 501s except the only difference is selvedge fabric and that they propped up a factory in the US with the same low quality materials and craftsmanship.

When putting up $200 for jeans, you should really be paying for craftsmanship and quality.

Welp, decided to do it, Im gonna get my 501's fitted. I tend to roll my jeans above the ankles, and the opening of the jean is just to large, it doesnt look right. Plus I really cant afford any better denim right now, so we'll see.

Ill post before and after pics, when theyre done.

Is Levi's online the only place that sells 501 stf selvedge?

If you're outside of the US, try:

http://www.oipolloi.com

http://www.caliroots.com

Otherwise, it looks like you're better off purchasing from Levi's or a Levi's brick-and-mortar store nearest you (if they carry them - the closet one to me does not / only carries the 514 selvedge)

Great comparison, david_c. A minor point, but "later" 501s like the 1966 don't have hidden rivets, but rather feature bar tacked back pockets. Having back pocket rivets isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. But I think you're spot on in saying that you can probably find a reasonably priced pair of LVC or better constructed Levi's if you're patient enough to look around and wait for a deal to come to you.

If you're outside of the US, try:

http://www.oipolloi.com

http://www.caliroots.com

Otherwise, it looks like you're better off purchasing from Levi's or a Levi's brick-and-mortar store nearest you (if they carry them - the closet one to me does not / only carries the 514 selvedge)

I'm in Texas…I always wanted to try the premium selvage 501

if I can't find anything in my skinny size…I'm ordering some OOE

I love my 501 stf, though…only 'cos it's easy to find them in 28

Great comparison, david_c. A minor point, but "later" 501s like the 1966 don't have hidden rivets, but rather feature bar tacked back pockets. Having back pocket rivets isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. But I think you're spot on in saying that you can probably find a reasonably priced pair of LVC or better constructed Levi's if you're patient enough to look around and wait for a deal to come to you.

They should add it to the encyclo

• 2 weeks later...

Just got them back, I wish they re-stictched on the inside, because now there is no brown stiching on the outside of the leg. Im pretty hyped on them though, leg is a bit more tapered for my comfort and the fit more snug.

photo%201%203.JPG

photo%202%203.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
is most of the shrinkage gone after the initial soak or should i expect some more after say two soaks. thnx.

I got a bit more in the 2nd soak. Mostly in the inseam I'd say, maybe a bit in the leg opening as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have pics of what the "Blue-Green" ones look like when broken in? Trying to find something like the verde's in a 31x34 and thats the closest thing I can find on zappos.

-Z

Blue-Green is the new name for the Verde's, it's the same color with black stitching instead of gold.

From the 2010 STF contest on mynudies:

fNQy0.jpg

N5MFR.jpg

And what please has this got to do with 501 STF??? Could people perhaps stay on message within the threads?