Denim Repair

obsessis

XX-005's at just under two months, had the tailor sew in some Somet 008 cutoff...not holding up as I expected it to, these will have to be fixed again soon, I expect

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

the thread used in skulls is 100% cotton I believe, which makes it less strong than a polyester blend (the benefits are historical correctness and it looks cool worn in). I would just grab a needle and thread and reinforce it so it does not come apart further. If you bought them from selfedge they're really nice and you could ship them to to get fixed (I think i remember him saying something like this)

You kind of have to work your new stitching into the old one. Find where the fraying on the hem stops, tie your new thread to that, sew it up, and end on the other side of fray "gap." With chainstitching it's hard to reinforce because of the way the stitch is, if one part blows then it'll just continue to unravel, so you just do the best you can. You could also sew over the hem stitching, overlapping the original and the repair, maybe that'll work.

Just a question though, are your Skulls the 6x6 or the 6x7? It looks like all the 6x6's are having the stitching problem.

Nope i got mine at BIG, selfedge was out of size 28's. how exactly would i reinforce it? Im can fix a hole no problem, but i have no idea how to reinforce broken threads.

easy!!

find the spot on both ends of the break where it's solid/starting to fray, and dab on some clear nail polish and/or a bit of superglue, just enough to saturate the thread somewhat worked great for me, and entirely invisible. the hems fall apart from the abrasion against the back of your shoe. it's real minor but on an average day you're rubbing that spot upwards of a thousand times a day.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I have some Dior's that just basically 'popped' seems at the crotch from biking and was wondering if that sort of thing is easily repairable by a tailor? There isn't a hole or anything, basically the inside piece of fabric that holds the buttons split and separated from the outside part a bit, causing separation and a small gap.I haven't worn them for more than a few months and they are basically brand new. If this is something that a tailor can fix and reinforce, then no worries I guess but has anybody ever had this problem as well? Thanks!

hey,

got recommended to this thread from the mini questions. these were a pair of 47s i wore every day just about for just under 3 years. the crotch got shredded and then tore up a bit more. the tear is pretty big -- OK, it's huge -- but i quite like these jeans, and am wondering if they're salvageable. if the pics are unclear, the tear is horizontal on the ass and goes from the center to just about one pocket, and straight through the crotch, and it tore off a bit of the leg.

i have a big old swath of good denim to fix it up, if need be. i took it to 45 rpm and the woman stared in horror

i am hoping for good news

Photo98.jpg

Photo91.jpg

Photo99.jpg

Anyone got experience with fixing the buttonholes on a fly? My KMW's top button (in the fly itself, not the exposed button) has long lost the actual buttonhole stitching and has now worn through most of the denim in the little flap it buttons into.

I'm thinking I'll have to either put a tiny little patch in and sew a new buttonhole into that or if it'd work just reinforce the remaining denim on the flap with some stitching.

edit: saw the page 15 post about it and gonna try that since it seems within my sewing ability

i took a needle and i had to sew the little ''buttonhole-ring'' back to the denim itself, and then reinforce the ring itself, to make it slightly smaller. sounds hard, but worth it. i hope i explained this right. if not, go to a tailor. nothing $5bucks cant fix.

When the time comes, i owuld like to make repairs myself so...

A whole slew of questions:

-Can moste repairs be done with a needle or would i be better off with a machine?

-Are there any good books or sites with step by step instructions.

-If "no", fto the second question, when the time comes, anyone in NYC want to teach me?

DOMO!

Take it in to get it patched, or get a ghetto sewing kit and just weave some shit through it like I did. It's kind of fun though the Walgreens $3.99 kits are so flimsy that sometimes I'd want to rip my eyes out.

beatle, did you do the repairs yourself? you are a true beast. evilcrayon, either patch em' on the outside, or the inside, or get a tailor to do that thing where they patch the hole with thin fabric, and stitch over the hole a zillion times like 45rpm. all methods work. if you choose to patch and you dont have denim scraps, call or e-mail the dude you bought them from, and ask. gordon or kiya will send you a swatch and some thread.

• 2 weeks later...
You kind of have to work your new stitching into the old one. Find where the fraying on the hem stops, tie your new thread to that, sew it up, and end on the other side of fray "gap." With chainstitching it's hard to reinforce because of the way the stitch is, if one part blows then it'll just continue to unravel, so you just do the best you can. You could also sew over the hem stitching, overlapping the original and the repair, maybe that'll work.

Just a question though, are your Skulls the 6x6 or the 6x7? It looks like all the 6x6's are having the stitching problem.

actually, a lockstitch type of chainstitch is used on hems because it won't unravel like a normal seam.

a normal chainstitch will unravel however, that kind is used on ricebags etc because you can just pull the ends to open the bag.

When the time comes, i owuld like to make repairs myself so...

A whole slew of questions:

-Can moste repairs be done with a needle or would i be better off with a machine?

-Are there any good books or sites with step by step instructions.

-If "no", fto the second question, when the time comes, anyone in NYC want to teach me?

DOMO!

I guess its possible to fix everything by hand, but a machine is better for bigger repairs, like fixing a hole on the knee etc.

since youre in tokyo, i can teach you. shibuyano ekini aimashooka.

ok just wanted an excuse to practice japanese.

• 2 weeks later...
here is how I repaired my skull 5010xx to avoid the crotch ripping. The x stitches are holding the denim patch in place.

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

and back patch which came undone

IMG_2294.jpg

I like that! its like a little rough, touch up job . thats pretty cool :)