ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

mikecch - I would do unspeakable things for some pho right now (hungry as, and knowing that all that I've got coming for lunch is depressingly bland Ugandan rice+beans...)

riff - that's awesome to hear you've sold some of your work! Congratulations and keep it up!

Medine - good to see (?) from you. I love the combo of these two photos. Looks like Captain America is looking up at some boobies.

FxCam_1299466957733.jpg

FxCam_1299468319661.jpg

mikecch - I would do unspeakable things for some pho right now (hungry as, and knowing that all that I've got coming for lunch is depressingly bland Ugandan rice+beans...)

Pho with extra tendon please.

You poor thing dkatz!

This restaurant has, IMO, the best rice noodles and vermicelli in town...made fresh everyday apparently :)

Went to a recent smoke-easy. I normally like the lingering smell of cigar, but this place had it lit up, and the next day I had to air everything out. Luckily I had the presence of mind to wear the tin Filson and not the wool. A day and night of mountain air, and she's fresh as a daisy.

airout.jpg

My macro is getting a little better, but not great. Here's better pictures of the Bucksaw buttons. They are by far the best add-yourself buttons I've come across. The button casing is all metal. The tack looks solid, but is actually hollow and deforms inside the button to make a solid grip. Unfortunately, I think it really needs one fast hard squeeze to do it right. I should have waited till I could use the arbor press at the parents place, but I did it quick with pliers. The tack sort of pulls in and out a milimeter or so, but they are definitely not going to seperate. The suspenders are awesome. I picked them up in a junk shop in Idaho for the price of a cup of coffee. They are made in England and were probably quite expensive when new. The straps are a rigid herringbone weave of indigo and gold (how perfect is that?) that almost shimmers in the right light, with the 'y' in indigo elastic.

bucksaw1.jpg

I am just a little jealous of those suspenders.

^ Looking good!

It's been a while since I did any real updates... A bit of a catch up on stuff. Busy, busy - work & everything have been keeping me out of trouble! ;)

I got together with an old friend of my dad's, who is a professional photog, and we got a couple of days of shooting together. Terrific guy, great learning experience!

This came on the heels of my having sold three of my photo canvases - with a few more in the pipe! The first one was bought by an exec at one of the banks, who hung it in his office. The other clients all saw it there, and contacted me! I am SUPER stoked!! :) Hopefully this will get me started on my "retirement" career..

A few shots from our wanderings..

46b13572.jpg

fb71552e.jpg

708320d7.jpg

My dad's friend also passed on a few "goodies" - which led me to reconfigure my home workspace (maybe I should call it the "play" space ;) )

A corner for all my photog stuff - plus a Pelican 1650 for storing all the gear!

ee7f2fd0.jpg

Making sure everything is working as it should

953deef6.jpg

Almost done!

85d9a98c.jpg

Great to see/hear that you're finally making some money out of your photographie skills partner!...nice ;)

so is there any chance on seeing the first pics you've sold? would be nice to know imo!...

and at all the others - great updates like always, though i'm missing some guys! calling out house to post some pics/evo updates...

I am just a little jealous of those suspenders.

That's funny, I was jealous of yours. (and anyone that's got the Strongholds) Stripey straps in good colors are dang hard to find.

Farhad, you're really on track for Emperor of the North Pole there. (think Lee Marvin, not Kris Kringle) And Dharma Trading seems to come up alot for indigo dyeing. I think they have both natural and synthetic.

Sansome, thems denims is advanced!

D- thanks that thread is pretty sweet. My jacket is from replay. It's their high end line that was called we are reply. It's about 6 years old.

Mike- jeans are looking good and dirty and as far as the knees being blown out, that's what she said!!!

Joseph- thanks amigo

Finally, time to get out and do non-book stuff.

Altho this day was still bowie-related. Anyone guess why?

phoneboothv.jpg

My friend Carl brought his Canon and tilt-shift lens to do some 'architectural' stuff

phonebooth2.jpg

Essentially, we were taking photos of David Bowie's Soho, so I can put a little tour up on my website. Went thru many of my fave places.

Cordings sells tweed coats, and other country gear. These are definitely shoes that look better with age:

niceboots.jpg

This is around Lexington street - door knob from an excellent old print shop. I have acquired a bunch of old Hogarth and other prints over the years, but I can't afford to shop here...

doorknocker.jpg

doormg.jpg

We finished around three, picked up the nipper from school, and went back to Carls' tp pick up a lovely old Mary Kaye Strat I'd lent him. The nipper wasn't interested in that, though...

Eat this, eltopo!

ak47n.jpg

Finally, time to get out and do non-book stuff.

Altho this day was still bowie-related. Anyone guess why?

phoneboothv.jpg

Oh, cottaging. I can see how that could be Bowie-related, though I doubt Iman would approve.

Farhad- that's a great jacket. I like Replay's older, high-end stuff. I have some '50s repro jeans they did in the late eighties or early '90s I think, and I'd stack them up against any other repro I've ever seen.